Gransnet forums

Relationships

New partner in later life

(98 Posts)
valeriej43 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:59:11

Not sure if this is the right place to post,i hav e met a lovely man,i really like and get on with,, we both have a good sense of humour and similiar interests in life, both have dogs and both animal lovers
We are wanting to have a closer relationship, but i think feel a bit embarrassed as to how to get this
I know we both want a sexual relationship, but i am not sure how i will feel when it comes to it,not having the bodies we once had, i am quite happy about it,as far as he is concerned,i worry about mine
I think he is a bit apprehensive too, we are both in our 70s, but young at heart, dont feel old at all
Hope this makes sense

Coolgran65 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:05:05

Don't even think about what your body looks like. He will have a fair idea anyway. When the moment is right just go for it, and enjoy. Have a laugh smile

yggdrasil Mon 17-Apr-17 18:07:14

Just get on with it smile You are wasting time.
My partner (later in life like yours) tells me I turn him on.
He certainly does it for me. And neither of us are anywhere near pinups.
Go out for a meal, have a few drinks, take him home and let things take their course.
Worked for me smile

glammanana Mon 17-Apr-17 18:33:34

How fortunate you are to have found some who cares about you the same as you do him,go with the flow and take it to the next level enjoy a romantic meal and a good bottle of wine and go from there.Life is too short so enjoy it.

Rexdog12 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:54:50

Remember there are no mirrors under the bed covers, just you and him and the feelings of togetherness. This is what counts. Once we've had a couple of kids, not many of us are model perfect, never mind in later life! Lots of hugs

Christinefrance Mon 17-Apr-17 20:36:52

Everyone is right Valerie, go for it. Of course our bodies are not the same as when we were in our twenties but no worse for that. yggdrasil has the right idea, a light meal and a few drinks then home for a cuddle and **
I started a new relationship in later life and here we are 12 years down the line happy and settled. Good luck.

nonnasusie Mon 17-Apr-17 20:43:19

My DH and I were both in our 50's when we met . We've been married 81/2 years . He's now 71 and I'm heading for 69. Go with the flow !!

Sar53 Mon 17-Apr-17 22:12:16

My OH and I met 9 years ago when we were both in our 50's. Our bodies may not be the same as in our 20's but we still have the same kind of feelings. Go with the flow and have fun !!!

valeriej43 Tue 18-Apr-17 00:27:00

Thank you all for the good advice,he has started walking more to lose his tum, he says, but i have told him it doesnt worry me, im not perfect either,
I love his sense of humour, and hes quite nice looking for his age,and he thinks i am lovely,
We both look at each other and see different to what we see in a mirror,i have told him, he so different to my ex [2 exes in fact] he will cuddle sand hug me, there was never any real affection in my marriages
We dont get much privacy thats part of the problem, one of my sons has returned home, on a temporary basis[i hope] and he has a son moved in with him too,
I have really fallen for him, and was delighted when i knew he felt the same,he didnt need to tell me,i could tell, we are both quite slim and active,in fact hes my dream man, if that doesnt sound too over the top,
I want some happines, and he makes me happy,as said, we are both in our early 70s but feel like teenagers
I will update at some point
My son jokes about us having sex, which i just laugh off
Why do the young think its just for them lol
Thanks again xx

Sunlover Tue 18-Apr-17 07:28:42

I think you are one lucky lady. Enjoy.

Christinefrance Tue 18-Apr-17 07:45:54

Yes make the most of this exciting new phase in your life. If there are privacy issues then go away for a few days holiday then you can both relax. wine

vampirequeen Tue 18-Apr-17 07:49:51

Like others say....just go for it. Life is short. Sex is fun. Enjoy.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Apr-17 07:57:00

Wow, well done, what the heck it would be different if you were 70 and he a fit 30 or 40 but you ve both been through life and will both have wrinkles and slack bits and fat bits if he doesn't care don't you care either Enjoy what you ve found I can't envisage that side if life it's been so long Enjoy it lucky lady
Have a weekend away if you've got returned babies in the nests
Good luck and happiness in this new later life

Izabella Tue 18-Apr-17 13:29:27

I understand. I went through the same for weeks as you are, but when it comes to it it does not seem to matter. Just go with the flow. We went away to London for a romantic weekend and had great fun. Perhaps try that and some champagne ....................
?

Norah Tue 18-Apr-17 13:55:43

blush lubricant blush

Someone had to tell. We can't be the only people who have such a need. smile

margrete Tue 18-Apr-17 14:13:28

DH and I got together in 1997 when we were both 62. We spent our first night together in a Travelodge on the M1. You're worried about seeing each other naked. Trust me, it won't matter. It didn't matter at all for us.

We're still together almost 20 years later and still happily married 15 years later.

vampirequeen Tue 18-Apr-17 14:49:14

Very few of us are Greek gods and goddesses in the eyes of anyone but our lovers.

yggdrasil Tue 18-Apr-17 17:41:47

If your son is adult, as I presume, tell him your sex life is your business and send him to stay with a friend for the weekend grin

valeriej43 Tue 18-Apr-17 17:51:27

Thank you all, yes i feel very lucky, i have not had a lot of happy times, but could cry with happiness now,
He does turn me on, and me him, but not had much privacy yet, actually cant wait,but the anticipation is lovely
So scared now, it doesnt seem real
Will keep updating/
Thanks all you lovely people xx
[no lubricant needed lol ]
Sorry,that sounds a bit gross

Grannyben Tue 18-Apr-17 20:24:23

So jealous, i would be so happy to be in your shoes ? Book a night away, it doesn't have to be far or expensive, just Saturday morning till Sunday afternoon. Nice meal, just enough drink and all the privacy you need.

valeriej43 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:19:27

Grannyben.get a dog,lol thats how we met, got to know each other on dog walks, and just went from there, we have a lot in common, and can discuss anything,
Actually started off by talking politics, but moved on to other subjects, he does some painting, watercolours etc, and offered to paint my dog

seacliff Wed 19-Apr-17 08:35:16

Good for you ... be happy.

SunnySusie Wed 19-Apr-17 09:50:20

This all sounds fantastic valeriej43! Am I the only one who thinks that love in later life is just amazing? Somehow richer and more fulfilling, probably because we are no longer young and beautiful, so you know very well that your partner wants you because of you and not to be some kind of pretty thing on his arm. Also you have all that experience behind you and willingness to forget and forgive and take your time in bed and out of it. Somehow the in-bed bit seems to me more about wonderful cuddles and physical closeness and less about 'doing it'. I seem to remember (very vaguely!) that young men, despite all their confidence, are not always much into caresses and cuddles, which doesnt always work so well for us ladies. I am sure it will all work out for you and I wish you all the very best.

Kitspurr Wed 19-Apr-17 10:01:27

Don't waste a moment - go for it. I'm 50, recently single and really hope to find someone as you have. How lovely.

meandashy Wed 19-Apr-17 10:04:32

Congratulations ?
If you can't get privacy in your home what about his? Or a lovely weekend break?
Please take every chance at happiness.
If your son is making jokes about your sex life it's clear it's because he's not getting any ?
Go for it