Gransnet forums

Relationships

I love him, BUT

(114 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 12-May-17 11:16:14

I love him BUT he always takes control of the remote when we're watching TV. Does he think I'm incapable of changing channels?
I love him BUT whenever we go out he wears the same fleece jacket he's had since the year dot. Never wears his smart things. The fleece is 'comfy'.

Any more?
What's the thing that irritates you about DH?

rosesarered Fri 12-May-17 11:20:25

grin oh they all do that with the remote! It's a man thing.
Hmm, let me see, well, he likes to reorganise the dishwasher (I am not doing it right for some reason) and he reorganises the larder, fridge contents.However I let him get on with it. wink

paddyann Fri 12-May-17 11:27:57

mine doesn't do the remote thing ,and he's always well dressed ,quite vain about his image ...he does however leave dirty clothes on the floor ,forget? to hang up towels and offer people things that they have said they need and we have ,but dont use much...last month the two sofa's from my family room went to a young woman who just got her first flat ...well I suppose its better he's generous than mean and we will replace them when we get around to it.He's been passing on stuff for decades so I'm never really surprised .But it might be nice to know in advance of the van turning up at the door to collect them ...lol

angelab Fri 12-May-17 12:12:32

No longer married but DD does that with the remote!

My ex was particularly annoying in that he would ignore all the ironed shirts and choose a crunpled one on the basis that he 'didn't want to waste the nice ones'!

chelseababy Fri 12-May-17 12:49:45

Switch the radio from 5 to 2 then leave the room!

f77ms Fri 12-May-17 12:55:04

DH used to hog the remote then fall asleep with the snooker on , when I very quietly managed to get hold of it to switch over he would wake up and say "I am watching that" .

grannylyn65 Fri 12-May-17 12:57:02

Regrets have been on my own for 23 years ? Hmm !

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-May-17 13:01:19

Oh that is sooooo our house f77ms !!

He watches lots of stuff with his eyes closed!!

For me it's when I'm driving and as I turn left he says 'I would have turned right' !! I've had my licence without an accident for 43 years ( unlike someone I could mention)!

I think I can work out how to get from a to b !

joannapiano Fri 12-May-17 13:15:24

I love him, but goodness he snores. I spent some of last night in the spare room to get some peace and quiet.

ninathenana Fri 12-May-17 13:33:52

I love him but he bites his nails and twiddles his thumbs.

Christinefrance Fri 12-May-17 14:05:38

I relate to the coat issue mrsmopp, my husband is the same about his hideous brown coat. It's worn constantly and is so shabby, he has four other coats in his wardrobe including a leather jacket I bought as a present. Grrrrrrrrr. I try to remind myself of all the kind things he does and there are many and how small a matter this is. Doesn't work.

mollie Fri 12-May-17 14:43:53

Googling the people (actors or presenters) we are watching on the TV and then telling me what he's discovere while I'm trying to watch the programme! Grrrrrrr!

PRINTMISS Fri 12-May-17 15:11:42

Well, the o.h. still hogs the control, but since his near sight is really quite bad be has difficulty seeing the buttons, so it is now my job, however, we seem to enjoy the same programmes so it is not a problem, and in any case he is asleep half the time (or just resting his eyes). He has always been untidy, after all these years it ceases to bother me, but CLOTHES! Just do not mention Clothes. Why buy a new jumper and put it away for another day, when another day never seems to occur- likewise shirts and jackets. I have now started throwing out the old stuff.

shysal Fri 12-May-17 15:38:55

My (now ex) DH used to turn the heating thermostat down when leaving the house, when I was staying in.
He also used to open his post and leave the empty envelopes on the hall table. I dumped them on his study chair along with old newspapers from the floor, but he never got the message!

hulahoop Fri 12-May-17 15:56:40

Keeping hold of remote seems to be a man thing mine does it then puts his programs on and falls asleep like yours f77 plus he as about 3books and a couple of mags on the go around his chair I have faults which probably wind him up so I don't complain too much .

Cherrytree59 Fri 12-May-17 17:36:49

Roses ditto
and my DH has a Tupperware thing.
Everything must be in Tupperware boxes .
'Wow betide' anyone who mixes up the Tupperware lids or worse doesn't return borrowed Tupperware items.

I love my DH but....

He leaves crumbs everywhere when he cuts bread, makes a sandwich or slices cake. Grrr!

Katek Fri 12-May-17 17:37:01

With mine it's the teabags. He empties teapot into the little half sink and leaves the teabags and remains of the tea just sitting there. There is a container for the bags a mere foot away and it takes no time to rinse the sink!! I'm always having to bleach it. And don't even get me started on his extensive collection of fleeces out of which he will choose the scruffiest. He's regrowing his beard and moustache as well so looked like a hobo in Tesco earlier.

vampirequeen Fri 12-May-17 17:45:01

There is nothing my husband does that annoys me. I've wracked my brains but really can't think of anything.

Chewbacca Fri 12-May-17 17:49:10

My OH has a weird system of clothing that drives me nuts. Day 1 he will take a polo shirt or sweater out of his drawer, wear it and then, at the end of the day, leave it on a chair. Day 2, takes a fresh polo shirt or sweater, wear it and then at the end of the day, leave it in a different place to sweater/polo shirt number 1. Day 3, take another top, wear it and leave that on a chair, sofa, bed, floor. By the end of a week, the house is littered with semi dirty clothing. As if that isn't irritating enough, he won't let me remove the whole lot to be washed because "I'm wearing that! It's only been worn once, I might wear it again tomorrow ". I'm going to burn the lot of them on a garden bonfire one of these days.

Welshwife Fri 12-May-17 18:13:40

Mine sees any clear worktop in the kitchen as a place to spread out whatever is in his pockets!!! Drives me nuts.

MamaCaz Fri 12-May-17 18:25:12

Another whose DH does the remote thing. And why does he feel the urge every single time there is an ad break/between programmes to look at the digital TV guide, even though he has already set a reminder for everything he wants to watch that evening? Sometimes he even does this while we are watching a programme which ,to put it bluntly, really pi***s me off!

LadyGracie Fri 12-May-17 19:38:02

I have the remote, I load the dishwasher, wash the dishes, feed the cats. DH leaves his shoes on the conservatory mat, leaves empty wrappers on work tops, empties teacups in sink but doesn't rinse tea away, puts dirty knives in the washing up bowl AND is a terrible aim!

LadyGracie Fri 12-May-17 19:38:58

Thankfully I have ny own bathroom, he also never washes his bathroom sink!

annsixty Fri 12-May-17 19:52:46

I live with an elderly/old Alzheimer's sufferer. Try that for no aim at all. I have to mop and change mats every day.

Thingmajig Fri 12-May-17 19:56:52

Mine monopolises the tv ... if there's football on you can be sure he'll be watching it! Thank god the end of season is nigh and we can get some tennis instead.grin

Next most annoying thing is the driving ... as we leave our driveway he starts a running commentary of everything every other driver on the roads is doing wrong ... so mostly they should be losing their licence in his opinion. I tend to switch off the ears so if he happens to say anything interesting it falls on deaf ears. And, I never ever drive with him in the car!!!!!

Otherwise he's a lovely chap! smile