Gransnet forums

Relationships

I despair!

(141 Posts)
Madmeg Mon 12-Jun-17 21:16:32

I've been married for almost 45 years. It's not been a brilliant marriage, but we've loved and raised two children, done well in our careers, enjoyed reasonably good health and are not strapped for cash.

Apologies for the long rant.

We took early retirement about 7 years ago and spent the first 4 years bringing our shabby house up to date (mostly done by ourselves). We never really discussed what we wanted to do in retirement but I know he always wanted to improve his photography skills, see a bit of the world and have a model railway (he has most of the kit in boxes). None of it has happened, and he doesn't show any interest in making it, or anything else, happen.

He sleeps 10 hours plus a night, so it's late morning before he gets up, so too late to go anywhere interesting. He thinks that driving 10 miles is a long journey, so being in a rural area means even the next town is too far for him.

He has no plans for the rest of his/our life. It is down to me to organise holidays and he tags along. It is down to me to arrange to visit our girls and grandchildren, and he doesn't seem particularly interested in doing anything with them (they are aged 5 and 3) - he sits in a chair and watches them play. He would happily stay at home every day and potter.

His conversation is non-existent. Today I tried to discuss the success or otherwise of comprehensive schools and he seems to have forgotten what they were, calling them Secondary Moderns, and telling me that our daughters went to grammar schools (they didn't). And this is a man who spent years of his life involved in politics, both local and national, and whose career was in Higher Education. The conversation ended with me in tears cos his arguments were factually wrong and he couldn't see that they were. He told me I was being bossy.

The girls have noticed all this too, and basically have stopped including him in conversations involving anything that requires advice or an opinion - they just ask me, and welcome my input. The most they get from him is "I don't know" or worse, incorrect advice, or even worse a badly-told joke instead that they have heard tens of times before.

Before we took early retirement 7 years ago he talked of developing his photography skills, travelling Europe in our caravan, setting up a model railway (he has all the kit in boxes in the loft). But he's made no effort to pursue any of these. I found him a photography class but after a few sessions he declared it wasn't useful to him. I have drawn up plans to convert our garage for a fabulous model railway but he has barely looked at them saying he is "not sure about it". As for travelling Europe, he now thinks a ten-mile journey is long-distance and suddenly has declared that he has always hated driving - this man had a Triumph Spitfire when I met him!

He is slow and plodding at everything now (he never was fast, but it all seems worse), declaring that "it is bad for you to rush about" and "I like taking my time". Meanwhile I am boiling with rage inside. Even his speech is now laboriously slow, and I've noticed friends losing concentration and wandering off before he has finished his point - which is usually not even interesting.

Everyone thinks he is a "nice man", and he is. He wouldn't ever insult anyone or hurt any living thing. But two friends recently told me "He's a lovely man, but heck, he's hard work isn't he?".

He's nearly 71 (I'm 65). Is this what 71-year-olds are supposed to be like and am I being unrealistic expecting him to have enthusiasm for things? I certainly still have plans and enthusiasm, and could cheerfully take myself off alone to do them, but I'd much rather we did it as a couple, or at least know that if I were off doing something, he would be doing his own thing too.

How do I spend the rest of my life with this bore? Can I chivvy him up in some way to be more lively and positive? When people ask how he is, his standard reply is "Oh, not too bad considering". Considering what? He is fit as a flea.

I say he is as fit as a flea. This is another bugbear (and I apologise again for the length of my post). As I said earlier, his hobby involves politics, so you can imagine that with County Council elections in May and the General Election in June, we have been out delivering leaflets every day. Except I have delivered 80% of them myself, either because he was too tired to come with me, or because he was so slow. I must add that I am not fit. I am more than a little in the obese range on the charts, and he is at the bottom end of "overweight". One particular day we were delivering on a modern estate of semis and I devised a route for each of us that would end up back at the car. If either of us got to the car first, we would carry on and meet the other later down the road. So I did my half, and back to the car. I carried on. And on. And on. By now I was worrying that I was sticking a leaflet through a door he had already done. So I phoned him. Yes, he was fine, he was just round the corner. I had delivered 175 leaflets to his 35. When I queried it with him I was told that his arthritis was playing up. What arthritis? Never been mentioned before. But okay, his knee was hurting. A few days later we were doing another round with the same plan but I made sure that his houses had no steps or steep drives. I did 160 with steps and slopes to his 20 on the flat. His response was "Just because you can go like fury doesn't mean I have to do the same". But surely that isn't normal to have done so little? Is it another example of him having no enthusiasm?

Sorry for the long post, I didn't know what to leave out to give you a proper picture.

Riverwalk Tue 13-Jun-17 08:42:18

Madmeg your husband's possible mental decline aside, I'm reminded of my ex PILs. FIL retired in his 50s and is now about 92.

He's had no hobbies or interests, no good at DIY, didn't do anything unless organised by MIL or adult children. He'd been a demanding and controlling husband (rather like his son, my ex) but as soon as he retired he didn't mellow into a pussycat as such just turned into a 'blob' - I can't think of another way to describe him. He was always interested in his DGC but that's about all.

He's now very frail and been ill for a long time but still mentally sharp. Saintly MIL is helping to care for him - I remember about 20 years ago she was seriously thinking of divorcing but didn't in the end.

It seems to be a big problem with men who have no life-long hobbies or not into DIY - they don't suddenly develop interests in retirement despite a wife's best efforts to encourage them!

annsixty Tue 13-Jun-17 08:45:27

It sometimes looks that way kitty when your own seems quite dysfunctional.
I speak from experience .
I see two friends about every 3 months and always get down listening to their stories. I know I shouldn't see them but after 40 years it is hard to break away.
Just me being sorry for myself again.
I try to let it wash over me but don't always succeed.

annsixty Tue 13-Jun-17 08:49:05

Thankyou for that example * Riverwalk* it mirrors my own experience, including the divorce.
I have never told anyone else that.

Christinefrance Tue 13-Jun-17 09:01:00

Definitely go for the health check Madmeg, there could be several reasons for your husband's problems. I think you need to relax a little too and give yourselves a bit of breathing space,do some things which you enjoy with friends and family.
Don't take life at a full gallop now you are retired sit back and enjoy the scenery.
Hope things get better for you both.

shysal Tue 13-Jun-17 09:23:07

annsixty sad flowers

kittylester Tue 13-Jun-17 09:48:29

Ann, I know that it looks that way sometimes.

When DS1 was, potentially, at death's door on the other side of the world, my mother was at her worst and my bothers were not speaking to me, I met a friend who told me all about how romantic her husband had been on a recent holiday. I had been expecting some words of cheer and reassurance so you can imagine my feelings when he was found to have been having an affair for years.

In retrospect I should have had more sympathy for her! blush

kittylester Tue 13-Jun-17 09:52:22

Dh puts it well. He says everyone has their cross to bear - some days it is heavier than others.

GN is good when one's cross is heavy and I think that's why I was fairly angry that you were given short shrift.

morethan, you know we are all here for you when you need us.

Now back to one of the silly threads!

pen50 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:17:34

Had similar problems with my DH. It was vascular dementia. Definitely get him checked.

radicalnan Tue 13-Jun-17 10:20:33

Health issue or not, you msut start taking better care of yourself a put some positives into your life.

If he'd done the train set thing, wouldn't he just be sat in there for hours at a time watching things go around? What would you have been doing then to amuse yourself?

Lots of men are tag-a-longs when it comes to making arrangements and as you are capable why not just arrange things to suit yourself. It seems you may have to get used to him not being well and starting to survive all that by looking toy our own future is a good start.

When you boil with rage what? or who are you raging at?

Nannarose Tue 13-Jun-17 10:22:04

Whist I agree with those who talk about a health check, I do think it likely that he will dismiss the idea.
I think that the poster who suggested that you think more about his point of view is correct, but that can be difficult. I hope that coming on here has helped you a bit!

I think that first of all, you need to 'let him be' whilst you talk to someone about your own feelings. When you feel calmer, and can feel as if you are getting along a bit better (and during this time, I would make no serious demands on him) then maybe you will be in a place to have a conversation about how he is feeling, what he would like to be doing, whether he does need to have a health check etc. You could include that you need to be 'out & doing' so you can establish a pattern for what you do and when.

It can be difficult to change habits /unwritten rules.In our marriage for instance, the 'unwritten rule' has always been that hobbies / interests are pursued separately, but holidays are always taken together. We see from many posts here how different these 'rules' can be, but also how changing them takes some negotiation!

I do think that to suggest your DH has a health check needs to
come from him seeing you are 'on his side' rather than the irritation you are feeling now.

Your DH may be 'protecting' himself, although we don't know what may be the root of this change in behaviour. I do wish you luck in negotiating this difficult time.

WendyBT Tue 13-Jun-17 10:23:54

Definitely a health check I would say.

blue60 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:24:30

Madmeg - I would try and get him to see your GP as it seems there may be an underlying cause for his behaviour.

NemosMum Tue 13-Jun-17 10:25:15

Apathy and non-engagement is a common early feature of some forms of dementia. As it is, your husband is unlikely to agree to going to the doctor, but you can. Go and talk to the GP. Whilst they can't divulge anything about him, they can listen, and a good GP will find a way to engage him: bring him in for a 'health check' etc. Also, you need your feelings to be acknowledged. Although you are boiling mad at the moment, and naturally disappointed in how your retirement has turned out, I agree with others that you need to start doing stuff yourself. Please, please don't let this destroy you - join some clubs/classes, or do some voluntary work. In the end, we need to be proactive to achieve our own fulfilment.

codfather Tue 13-Jun-17 10:30:14

A similar thing happened to our friend. I've known him for 40 years now and in the last few months, he changed radically. He stopped moving his arm for no medical reason whatsoever! He kept having "falls" which were basically attention grabbing. I put up a curtain rail for him and he was so offensive, I offered to install it somewhere where he couldn't draw the curtains! He became so demanding that he had to be placed in a home. This all happened in a space of weeks. It's a form of dementia. It can strike anyone at any time! There's no shame in it, it's an illness!

MawBroon Tue 13-Jun-17 10:36:24

He may have had a TIA codfather the falls may have been due to that and not "attention grabbing". Do you know for certain there was no reason? It could also be Tendonitis or arthritis?
You sound as if you gave him short shrift anyway hmm

Banny1 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:39:44

Madmeg, I am married to a man 9 years older than me. After a heart bypass, he went into a decline becoming depressed. Eventually this led to a crisis and my choice was to leave or to change how we went forward. We moved to a smaller house and I retired early. My husband still needs to sleep a lot, prefers to bumble around and it is me who organises holidays, family visits etc.
Gradually I have worked out that he is someone who needs an external organisation to structure his life and without work and family he is a bit lost. So it is my role in the relationship to book outings and trips.
Sometimes he doesn't want to come and I have developed a life of my own, going to Paris for a weekend, spending 3 days at the Women of the World conference on the South Bank and going to the theatre in London. I love these outings and together with book club, choir and cycling the canal and off road routes I have a full and interesting life. This leaves time for outings to the beach when the sun shines and working on our allotment together - both things that DH loves. He likes football and the pub and when he is out I practice my piano, a new interest since I retired.
So stop dragging him around. Do encourage him to get checked out at the Doctors but allow him to work at his own speed, do his own thing and don't blame him if you aren't doing what you want to do.
Spending 24/7 together is difficult and maintaining separate interests is healthy and natural.
Good Luck.

Belinda49 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:42:08

Sounds really depressed poor man. Very frustrating for you. Get him along to the doctor asap and get him some counselling. He's no happier than you are. Very sad !

grannytotwins Tue 13-Jun-17 10:43:36

To put this into context, my husband has spent hours, walking miles putting leaflets through doors for three elections this year (we had a by election in January too). He is 73. Since retiring he hasn't changed a bit and is always on the go. I really do think that your husband's problems lie deeper than just a response to being retired. I know that when you live close to someone, you cannot see a decline. Ask his friends or acquaintances if they have noticed a change. It might be useful to get another perspective on this. Don't feel rage, there may we'll be a medical reason for his behaviour. Have a chat with his GP.

morningdew Tue 13-Jun-17 10:43:39

I would say a health check up it could be depression or thyroid problems even diabetes, or he could be just turning into a cranky old man , either way you need to know what the problem is to be able to deal with it , good luck

annsixty Tue 13-Jun-17 10:54:00

I will just say our local surgery would do nothing when I suspected my H had a problem.
All they would say was " it has to come from him"
Many months down the line I had to insist we went together after talking to the GP about my own health.
He was quickly diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

DotMH1901 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:54:05

Like the other replies I do think your DH would benefit from seeing his GP - do you think he would be willing to go? How was he when you were renovating your house? Did he work hard or was he much the same then? Could just be he is tired out after all that work! I grew up with a much older Dad (he was 54 when I was born) and I clearly remember how much he slowed down when he was in his 70's - he gave up his life long hobby of being a Radio Ham (but part of that was because no one used Morse Code anymore) and he just gently pottered around doing crosswords and getting in Mum's way (she ended up going back to work full time but she was twenty years younger than him). Dad was never very interested in my children as babies, sadly he passed away before they were more than toddlers. Maybe your DH is the same. Still would be wise to get your GP's opinion though.

Gaggi3 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:57:35

My DH (75) is currently playing tennis having just returned on Sun. from a week gently cycling in Germany with old friends. I know everyone's different but I would be concerned about the big changes in husband's personality. I hope you get some help, Madmeg.

Annofarabia Tue 13-Jun-17 10:59:32

I'm 71 with high blood pressure, arthritis and I'm very active. Driven to London for my birthday weekend with kids and grandkids. On Friday going again to babysit while kids at a wedding. This afternoon going to Supply teach. Some days I have dressing gown days but......

Butterflykisses Tue 13-Jun-17 11:00:40

Madmeg - It sounds to me as if your hubbie needs a check-up with the doctor. It could be the start of Parkinsons, or Alzeimer/Dementia or simply that he is feeling depressed after all those years working. Try (I know it's hard) not to contradict or argue with him: if it is dementia he will believe what he's saying and not understand when you disagree. If Parkinsons, he will slow down dramatically...
I hope you find a diagnosis that is easy to sort and not a long-term issue, but if you do, please bear in mind that it isn't his fault and don't be angry.......

farmgran Tue 13-Jun-17 11:02:00

Madmeg, your DH sounds so much like mine except that mine is 86 and not as fit as a flea. My DH has the early signs of Dementia, its gone beyond '''mild cognitive impairment' quite rapidly.
Its possible that your DH might have an underactive Thyroid which would cause him to be slow, tired and overweight. A blood test would tell.
You have my sympathy as it can be so annoying when they just sit there all day. Mine has spent the day making observations about the weather every 5 min, I felt like throwing a sheet over him!
I survive by going out and about as much as possible. His daughter is wonderful and will check to see he's had lunch.
Try and make an enjoyable life for yourself.