Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do not want to move

(65 Posts)
flamenco Wed 28-Jun-17 10:31:57

Am I being unreasonable? My partner of 10 years wants us to move far north nearer his family, I am very much a southerner have a a brother and cousin nearby and all of my friends, my daughters live in Australia one son near Manchester. We live part of the year in Spain but six months here. I dislike where we are going and it's so far from everyone I know , the thought scares me, it's just too far North for me. I feel very resentful but also dislike myself for being so negative.

vampirequeen Wed 28-Jun-17 10:54:07

If you don't like the place then you're not being unreasonable. Can you compromise with a sort of midway move?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 11:04:50

When you say his family do you mean his DC or siblings, parents or more distant family?
If they are his DC and DGC perhaps he is missing them. If you go to see your DD would you be near an airport so that you could still go to see them and would you be nearer to your own DS?

Can you not move nearer to Manchester if that is nearer to his family too?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 11:06:26

ps did you find moving to Spain for part of the year scary and presumably now enjoy it?

Lots of questions and I can understand your apprehension but sometimes the thought of doing something is worse than the actual deed.

paddyann Wed 28-Jun-17 15:27:09

could you rent somewhere in the area for a few weeks and see how you get on? It might be much better than you think it will.If you dont like it no major harm done you can go back to your own home

M0nica Wed 28-Jun-17 16:04:56

Please do as paddyann suggests. A friend made a risky move without testing it out first, it was a disaster, but she had moved from an expensive area to a cheaper one, spent the balance on home improvement and a new car and could not afford to move again.

I am convinced this contributed to her early death.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 16:20:54

Good idea and even if you do decide you like the new area enough to move it gives you a chance to find somewhere suitable.

Luckygirl Wed 28-Jun-17 16:23:02

Moving house, especially to a different area is a huge decision and it must be a joint one.

Good idea about renting for a bit.

devongirl Wed 28-Jun-17 16:38:54

Absolutely agree, ernt initially, if difficult financially you could put some of your things in storage and rent out your own property furnished, or maybe get a lodger.

devongirl Wed 28-Jun-17 16:39:04

*rent

Cherrytree59 Wed 28-Jun-17 17:16:11

Hi Flamenco
As you live part-time in Sunny Spain is it the thought of deaing with the cold and wet weather further North that is troubling you?

Luckylegs9 Wed 28-Jun-17 17:21:50

Should be a joint decision, it affects you both equally.

Riverwalk Wed 28-Jun-17 17:36:41

er, this sounds familiar - haven't you asked this before? hmm

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 17:49:48

Yes, flamenco started a thread asking for advice about this about six months ago so presumably the problem is still not resolved.

Oh dear, it sounds as if you are really reluctant flamenco, hope you can both sort it out.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 17:52:11

Obviously the answers on this thread did not help you at all so I don't know if anyone can come up with anything new.

Renting sounds the best option - you never know, you might like it, Newcastle is not the end of civilisation as we know it smile

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/a1233060-Moving

flamenco Wed 28-Jun-17 17:53:13

Thanks everyone, partner adement that's where we are going, so cannot rent , l hate the cold so not the place for me, I am used to moving have lived in Spain and Switzerland and different parts of the UK . It's just too far away from everyone single person I know. I am feeling more and more resentful!

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 18:08:55

Who owns your place in the UK, is it you or both of you?

mcem Wed 28-Jun-17 18:41:06

Even if he is adamant that doesn't rule out renting. It could be seen as either a trial run or as a transition to let you look around to find a property.
If he is simply overruling you then you need to think about your future together with a domineering man and not just about where you
love.
Just how entangled are your finances?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 19:02:03

Why is he so insistent? Is he missing his family and not seeing enough of them?

If your family are in Australia and Manchester perhaps you may be able to see more of them. If you're moving from the SE and property is cheaper in Newcastle then you could release some capital - there must be flights from Newcastle to Spain as you go over there for half the year, and there are definitely flights from Newcastle to Australia via Dubai with Emirates - and from Manchester.

There could be some positives, you could join organisations and make new friends - unless you are not really happy in your present partnership.

grumppa Wed 28-Jun-17 19:49:42

Partners should not be adamant over issues like this.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 20:07:28

It's different if you have to move for work but if you're both retired then why not stay in Spain for 6 months, home to the SE for 6 months - and send him up to stay with his family for 3 of those months?

Peace and quiet for part of the time.

durhamjen Wed 28-Jun-17 23:16:52

Anyway, what's wrong with the north? It's not cold and rainy all the time. Beautiful beaches, lovely market towns, lots of history.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 23:32:07

It's probably wetter in the west grin
although when I moved to the dry south-east it didn't stop raining for three weeks (must have brought it with me).

wilygran Thu 29-Jun-17 10:21:19

If you're moving to a cheaper property area any chance of keeping a small place in the South for you to spend time? It could be a sensible investment if you are financially able to do it and would allow you time with friends

Theoddbird Thu 29-Jun-17 10:24:47

So he expects you to leave your friends and family to be closer to his? I don't actually think this is fair. I think half way between would be better and much fairer.