Gransnet forums

Relationships

Getting a bit fed up of her showing off

(59 Posts)
bytheway Wed 05-Jul-17 18:55:21

Hi

Although we live miles apart i have a close relationship with one of my four siblings. I get along perfectly well with the other 3 but have always had a particularly close relationship with this one.

However, I have noticed over the past few months that she is showing off a lot, especially on social media and also when she rings me.

Her husband has done very well in his career and they have a much better standard of living than the rest of us. I have never felt jealous of her for this, quite the opposite, i have been glad that she has an 'easy' adulthood i.e. choosing to work when and if it suits her. being able to afford private healthcare etc...

Her husband has always dealt with any problems himself and she's never had the worries the rest of us have had over the years about affording bills etc.

However, she has recently moved into a very very desirable house in a very very desirable area and oh boy do we have to hear about it. Along with pictures on Faceache etc... There has also been harping about the round the world cruise and the trip across Canada.

Its really starting to annoy me. The final straw was when we were chatting on the weekend and she managed to weedle in to the conversation about how much pay off her hubby is getting when he retires next year (a 7 figure sum) I have never ever asked her about their finances.

Some of you may think 'prehaps she lonely' but she isn't, she has a great social life and lots of friends.

I really don't understand why she's doing this? We weren't brought up to discuss money, believing it to be vulgar. But even though i know things are more open nowadays i don't understand why she is doing this.

Anyone any ideas? or is it me?

Olene Fri 07-Jul-17 17:41:07

I agree with those that blame FB......it's become the new religion.
In the early days I put photos on and happy comments. In no way were they bragging and I was truly grateful to have visited some lovely places. On one holiday my DH gave me a pretty ring on my birthday. I was stunned as it's not his style at all and I felt so happy. On went the picture on FB, expressing my happiness. Next thing I know I hear I'm being talked about for showing off. This is from a woman who posted her life on FB.
I live overseas, the sun shines, daily life involves a swim and coffee in the garden, drinks on the patio, bbqs etc. This is also seen as showing off but if you live in the UK, which I did for 40 years in total, it's ok to show yourself in the garden having a BBQ, coffee in the garden etc etc........but it is not ok if you live somewhere hot and have a pool in the background.
Whenever I say to our DD how lucky or blessed we are she gets mad at me as she says 'you're not lucky, you and Dad have worked so hard to get what you have today'
I'm going on. Apologies. But it's touched a nerve how people perceive you cos of FB and other media.
I never post there now. I enjoy seeing friends photos of lovely holidays etc etc. If someone is harping on for attention I just unfollow them.
I've seen raised eyes because I grocery shop at Waitrose and M and S foodhall in the UK. That makes me a bragger too I believe.
The old adage not to judge a book it's cover is very true.
Sorry....I've gone on a bit.

Disgruntled Fri 07-Jul-17 19:08:58

I think you've cracked it, Bytheway - in your next to the last paragraph - she's trying to get over childhood stuff. She felt inferior all those years and is now saying "Look at me now!" Maybe if you stroke her ego once or twice, tell her how well she's done, that might be enough to shut her up. That might be all she's looking for - recognition that she's not, after all, in spite of all predictions, a failure.

Jane10 Fri 07-Jul-17 21:27:24

I wonder if Olene is nearer the mark?
Talking about people 'getting above themselves' is not very nice. It makes me wonder more about the people using such phrases.

Luckylegs9 Sat 08-Jul-17 07:52:18

It must be difficult when one person in a family does very well, in a way their new wealth and lifestyle sepatate them from those they are close to. If you are very generous and foot the Bill you are accused of acting lady bountiful, if you don't you are tight. So difficult to strike a happy balance.Everyone is striving to privide a better life for themselves and family, really all we want is our family and friends, they are what matter. Siblings can be very envious of what people have and not see the real person, it is only when something bad happens within a family that you come close and forget all the other stuff. Would they be there for you if you needed them? I bet the answer is yes.

Mspjam123 Sat 08-Jul-17 09:11:00

The Facebook but is easy. Just Unfollow. Not sure what to say about the actual phone calls other than the more bored you sound the more she'll get the point in the end. And admit to yourself that you are envious. Who the heck wouldn' t be? I would be pea green!

M0nica Sun 09-Jul-17 21:55:40

I think it is a very British thing. If you express delight about anything you have or do or a member of your family does, it is seen as bragging, never as simply expressing your natural delight at something good that is happened.

To be fair, you will get sympathy and understanding if anything terrible happen, but of those expressing their genuine feelings, many will also find a shiver of shadenfreude going down their spines.

There is a big difference between delight at something good and bragging but the British cannot see the difference.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Jul-17 06:37:57

You have explained much more in your second post Bytheway she's probably got very proud of the fact that the least brainy one has the most dosh ( albeit through a lucky match) I d just learn to switch off when she starts, or say something simple in way of congratulations and quickly move on to other subjects as for FB I still think it's a great way of communication but if it's starting to piss you off give it a rest for a bit She obviously hasn't learned how to handle her wealth, modestly.
Some people never do When my brother in law visited my area for the first time recently and called in to see me he said how lovely the area was and how they must come back I said well I have a big house and a bedroom always made up his answer was 'thank you but we prefer somewhere more luxurious' that was on top of his wife refusing to have a coffee as I didn't have percolated and she d rather be without a drink than have coffee out a jar .. now that really pipped me off but in actual fact they are nice people so I would not fall out over it but it's snobby and not attractive to me, others might find it ok, but I don't like it
I don't think it's fair to say The British can't see the difference between being excited about something you have and bragging, it s good to be a bit modest about your good fortune...... if you want to tell people you tell them but you don't go on about it

Butterflykisses Mon 10-Jul-17 14:10:41

Mrs Bouquet (Bucket) springs to mind!!