Gransnet forums

Relationships

My son is being hard on me

(34 Posts)
davidclay123 Wed 23-Aug-17 08:25:04

Hi guys,
My wife and I, we've been divorced for 8 years. My son is 10 now and he's living with his mom. I get to see him very often, we keep the father-son bond well.
A few days ago, I told him I was dating again. He got upset and I don't know why. I tried to explain but he wouldn't listen.
What should I do?

PamelaJ1 Wed 23-Aug-17 08:34:01

It sounds as though you have managed the divorce and your sons life extremely well up to now. He has been very happy and secure in his world. Now you are threatening to change it and he is bound not to like it.
Go slowly.

BlueBelle Wed 23-Aug-17 08:43:54

Normal reaction no one likes changes especially kids and old folks ? take it very slow and keep the new Lady out his life for a while Tiny steps are best no big sweeping changes He may be imagining he will lose you to this 'rival' and he's right in a way he will have to share at some point Has his Mum a new partner orbis this the first 'outsider' in the equation ?
Ten s a funny old age neither kid or teen he's at that inbetween stage
I wouldn't say any more at this stage let him compute it and settle
Good luck

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 08:48:07

Hi David, perhaps you are a victim of your own success: you have kept the father-son bond well, so he doesn't want that security threatened.

It is natural and normal for him to feel wobbily about you seeing somebody. Also, our children can often harbour hopes that we will reunite - no matter how unrealistic - if we are not seeing anyone else. If you have been 'single' for a long time this aspect might also bother him.

You obviously want to be sensitive to him. so you need to consider how much your 'dating' is directly affecting him, or likely to impact in the future. If he is expected to accommodate a new person right from the get-go, if you cancel times with him to be with them, if you compromise what he expects as 1:1 time early on, then tbh, it isn't a case of him being 'hard on you', rather you not realising how hard it is for him.

'Dating' implies a fairly casual beginning - it might be better to keep any new relationship to yourself until you feel it is significant enough to warrant an introduction. If things are casual, ask yourself how fair it is to bring people in and out of his life to suit your own convenience.

It is tricky, but at ten he is very young and his time with you must be precious to him. If you can put him first in the early stages of any relationship that will help him adjust and anyone worth their salt to you should understand that you need to do this.

Smileless2012 Wed 23-Aug-17 08:52:50

Good advice from Bluebell David. It was always going to be difficult for him when you or his mum got someone new in their lives.

Sounds like your a great dad and the bond that you have will see you through.

Best wishes for your future.

davidclay123 Wed 23-Aug-17 09:00:00

Many thanks guy. I really appreciate your help!

glammanana Wed 23-Aug-17 09:38:48

Your little boy is so young to be going through this and has coped very well with the changes by the sound of things and you have been a great hands on dad being there with him,I would leave any discussion re new lady in your life for now and not mention it at all let him bring up the subject and he will when he is ready.

Nemoiudex Wed 23-Aug-17 10:41:58

BlueBelle is right. The little boy is afraid of losing his dad. It's like telling him "hey, I now have a new best friend". Theres's bound to be a worry that he'll spend his time and energy with his new friend, and no child can be expected to understand that an adult needs a significant other. Best to let him absorb the news and meanwhile don't spend any less time with him than before, and keep making those special memories with him.

pewsey Wed 23-Aug-17 10:46:01

HI.....can only add that you appear to be a great dad under the circumstances.....but as he's 10 it's a big concept for him to come to grasps with, especially as his time with you will be sacrosanct......and he might think the 'new person' will take you away from him........ask his opinion as to how he feels about you seeing someone on a friendly, rather than certain, basis.

Jaycee5 Wed 23-Aug-17 10:49:15

Make sure that you still spend time alone with him. He will have to accept that you and your ex will have new relationships but I don't think that children should be forced to have a relationship with the new partner. Make sure that the contact with him, including phone calls, social media etc. is not reduced. Talk about him and yourself and mutual friends, relatives etc.
Once he is feels secure with the situation and you have been in a relationship for a while, it might be time to make introductions but that could take years and he should be given that time.

Coconut Wed 23-Aug-17 11:25:11

Yes it's normal for kids to resent anyone who may be taking your time up. I would just ensure you have loads of one to one, verbal reassurance and only introduce your partner when your son is ready.

Lilylilo Wed 23-Aug-17 11:35:07

Don't mention it again...at least not for while, when u do then take it very very s-l-o-w-l-y. He won't want to share you, he's on his Mum's side because he lives with her and may be the recipient of any negative thoughts from her. I know because my son has NEVER really liked his father's partners....he puts up with the current one now because they married and my son has a family of his own now. You may find that you have to see your son on his own, just the two of you, with just the odd meet up with your girlfriend and your son. Whatever you fo fon't force them together....believe me ....i have seen the problems over the years.....just keep your relationship with your girlfriend in the background when.you see your son..

Musicelf Wed 23-Aug-17 11:35:39

David I just wish that my first husband had been as good a Dad as you are, and had shown some sensitivity. Mine left me for another woman, and my daughter - then 12 - had to just accept it. My ex dealt with her upset by leaving her alone, and they've never got their bond back, and she's now in her 40s and missing it still.

Be patient, and make your son the most important one until he starts to understand that nothing has changed, despite the fact that you now have someone else in your life. Now and again you can drop her name into the conversation, just to keep him aware that she is still around but is no threat to what the two of you have. As everyone else has advised, slowly is the word. And never, ever cancel a date with your son except for a genuine reason - definitely not for a date with your new lady.

I wish you all the best - you've done a fabulous job already, and I think that - for a time, at least - you're now the victim of your own success!

GoldenAge Wed 23-Aug-17 11:35:43

As you've been divorced for 8 years and your son is 10, he will have no memories of what life was like for him when his mum and dad were together and living as a family. This means his current response is not coming from a place where he hopes you and mum can get back to a situation he remembers as a happy one. His concern is simply with the potential change to the relationship he has with you. As a 10 year old, he may think that not only will your new girlfriend encroach into your time with him, but that you may have another child with her and that he will be displaced in your affections and attention. You should, even though it may not be true, tell him that you have dated other women in the past and just never told him because you didn't think he was old enough to know or that it just wasn't necessary. If he gets the idea that no change will occur, he will be more amenable to the idea. He just doesn't want to lose you.

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 12:01:10

You should, even though it may not be true, tell him that you have dated other women in the past and just never told him because you didn't think he was old enough to know or that it just wasn't necessary.

But why lie Goldenage - if it is not true? And might this then make him wonder that this time it is a really important relationship when it might not be. I don't see how this would help him adjust. He might even start to wonder 'What else hasn't dad told me ?' Trust is precious and if damaged it can take a great deal of time to repair.

As a remarried divorcee with 4 children, like the OP I stayed single for a long time. I think it is different again if you are the mum -as I was - but bottom line, children needs do have to come first. There is a balance between navigating their needs and our own, but when it comes to introducing changes re a new partner, they do need to happen slowly and sensitively.

I come back to the post being titled ' My Son is being hard on me.' OP seems to be very caring and just needs to reflect on what is reasonable for his son to adjust to over time, but it may be helpful to keep any new relationship under wraps until / unless it becomes substantial to avoid unnecessary upheaval for the child.

mumofmadboys Wed 23-Aug-17 12:06:37

I don't think you should lie to him re previous GFs How is that helpful? This is directed at Golden age and not David!

mumofmadboys Wed 23-Aug-17 12:07:36

Crossed posts- distracted by phone call in middle of posting!

Elrel Wed 23-Aug-17 12:19:56

He's understandably upset. You're introducing a new factor into your relationship with him. He has no idea how this might change your father-son bond and affect him but he correctly assumes that it will. You need to go very slowly and carefully.
There are other aspects to consider too. Are you dating someone with children herself? If the relationship is still in it's early stages and casual as yet he doesn't need to meet her unless and until he wants to. Take it easy!

FarNorth Wed 23-Aug-17 12:29:53

he will have no memories of what life was like for him when his mum and dad were together and living as a family. This means his current response is not coming from a place where he hopes you and mum can get back to a situation he remembers as a happy one.
He may, nevertheless, have had hopes that mum and dad could live together again and become his family.
David, you are adult and have control in this situation. Your son has no control and has no idea how things might pan out, now that this change has happened.
As others said, look at things from his point of view, keep everything the same in your relationship with him, and only introduce your son to your lady friend if he wants to meet her.

jocarter Wed 23-Aug-17 13:00:11

Just out of interest has his mum dated since the divorce. Just out of curiosity

Lorelei Wed 23-Aug-17 13:48:39

Hi David, You know your son best and obviously love him and have made sure you have regular contact, visits and a good relationship with him. You say it was recently that you told him about dating again but not whether this is casual dating or if there is someone potentially special. I would just say let the news sink in for a bit before broaching the subject again and give him any reassurance you can that he is the most important person to you. In time you might be able to sit down with him and tell him how happy he makes you and that having someone else who also makes you happy will not affect how much you love him. Is your ex wife likely to be supportive? I agree with others that no new partner should be introduced to your son unless it is a serious commitment as he is probably a bit confused and maybe scared that things are about to change for him. Just keep loving him and doing all the things you usually do together - you'll know when the time is right to discuss this with him and any new partner will understand that, for now, introductions may have to wait a bit. Oh, and don't lie to him - the truth can be softened and kept age-appropriate without risking him feeling bad about a lie. Your son is 'hard on you' and upset because he loves you so much - your strong bond will help with any change of circumstances - just keep being his loving father. I wish you and your son well and hope you find someone who makes you happy - good luck.

Bambam Wed 23-Aug-17 15:23:37

I hardly think that your son is being hard on you. After having you to himself for ten years, he's hardly going to jump for Joy at the news that you are seeing someone. You are over-the-moon by your new relationship but he will not think its the best news ever. He is scared that he is going to lose his Dad. See your girlfriend and see your son exactly the same as you always have done. He needs time to get used to you having another person in your life.

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 15:37:09

I was just about to post a very personal reply to you david but remembered that this thread is quite likely to be plastered all over Facebook sometime soon, so decided against it. angry

I will just say that speaking from bitter experience there are often other sides to consider and perhaps "someone" is causing your sons insecurity by poisoning his young mind.

f77ms Wed 23-Aug-17 15:47:34

Just a thought - I wonder if your son thought that you and his Mum could get back together and your new GF announcement has put paid to this ? I would also say to take things very slow, he possibly feels insecure and worries that his world is about to be turned upside down again .

Norah Wed 23-Aug-17 15:59:50

You have told him, now leave him alone to think. Time is your friend.