Gransnet forums

Relationships

Reluctant dancer

(56 Posts)
Gordonbennett Sun 14-Jan-18 19:12:37

My partner loves ballroom dancing, he’s retired (we don’t live together) I still work full time. We have been dancing on and off (me off) for around 5 years. I go once a week, he goes another two times on his own. I am far too tired to go any more in the week.

I love music and dancing (not good at ballroom) but he makes it a chore as he is so obsessive/serious about it. He criticises me, never any praise. I dread going because of this and we’ve had many an argument about it.

I know many women would kill to have their man go dancing, so I feel I’m missing something here. Am I wrong to feel this way? He makes an enjoyable pastime deeply unenjoyable.

poshpaws Mon 15-Jan-18 18:31:29

Blimey, I'd ditch him before the dancing - he sounds a real horror. What he's doing to you is very typical behaviour of men who are abusive to their partners ... part of "Beaten Wife Syndrome" is where the man chips away at the woman's self esteem (I expect it happens the other way around too, we just don't hear about it so often) until she believes she's worthless and deserves the abuse. Find another partner both for life and for dance!

NemosMum Mon 15-Jan-18 20:17:18

I'd give him the heave-ho! No fun, no mutual support. Not a good recipe for a relationship. I think you know what to do!

maddy629 Tue 16-Jan-18 07:03:18

I would tell him I was not going anymore until he stopped treating me bad, then I would take classes until I was confident enough to go with him again but you know what? I'd kick him to the kerb and find another partner who treated me like a lady should be treated, on and off the dance floor [cake] wine

M0nica Tue 16-Jan-18 13:50:01

Of course a controlling man is going to deny that he is such a man.

nannyannie44 Sun 21-Jan-18 21:58:01

I Agree with other's , You both need similar partners, You sound more relaxed and a relaxed dancing partner would suit you perfect, Good Luck !