Gransnet forums

Relationships

Kind helpful suport with moving on from family estrangement

(94 Posts)
celebgran Sun 18-Feb-18 21:58:11

The other thread has been rather spoilt while I was away so I do hope this one can start as it meant to withOut unkindness the emphasis on moving on and support,
Focussing on rebuilding lives.

MesMopTop Tue 20-Feb-18 11:50:13

Quite a few girls at work are on minimum wage and have little children and some are lone parents. We do have food banks here. Isn’t it sad so many people have such hard lives. I won’t waste a thing if I can help it.

celebgran Tue 20-Feb-18 15:15:51

Thanks ms meptop cake was a success !

More positive news have pedicure to do next week!

Really enjoyed acquacise today.

Not so keen on visit from accountant

Now to have late snack and rest!

celebgran Tue 20-Feb-18 15:16:45

It is sad that people need food banks is it same in oz too mrs meptop?

maddyone Tue 20-Feb-18 16:24:57

Hi everyone, that cake looks yummy Celeb, I just fancy a piece. I think I’ll have to have a go at making a coffee and walnut cake, your one has wet my appetite.
I’ve just got back from my lunch with ladies I used to work with, it’s nice to catch up with them every couple of months. It’s a lovely day here, cool but sunny, Mr M has been busy in the garden whilst I’ve been gone, and it looks very neat and tidy now. Last night I was helping my daughter (yes she has got post natal depression Celeb, and other issues) and playing with the little ones in the bath and reading bedtime stories is a joy I missed so much last year. I am blessed to be able to do this again.

celebgran Tue 20-Feb-18 17:18:33

Aagh so glad you able enjoy little ones maddyone

You could have enjoyed some?Had you been nearer!

Do hope your daughter getting corrrect help I think medics much more aware of this sort depression now.

Glad you enjoyed lunch good have catch-up isn't it?
I am relaxing in front fire, after acquacise usually feel sleepy!

I was so emotional last night knowing my daughter won't be there where she should be for my sons wedding.
However I have to try accept she no longer wants us in her life I really do.

celebgran Tue 20-Feb-18 17:21:10

Can I just make it clear I started this thread for everyone it isn't meant to be divisive, the original one was started by nanban, and smilless and yogagirl joined me and everyone repeat everyone is welcome new and old on this thread same as other one,

????

maddyone Tue 20-Feb-18 21:35:51

You are such a lovely person Celeb, you are always ready to give a kindly word. I was a bit worried to mention my good fortune in being back in contact with grandchildren again, it seems cruel when others are not able to see their grandchildren, but this is a celebratory thread, speaking of what is good in our lives, and despite my daughter’s illness, the up side is the children. But you Celeb, so kindly shared my joy, without any bitterness at all. God bless you.

celebgran Tue 20-Feb-18 22:04:48

Oh thanks maddyone you are so kind?
I am genuinely pleased for you.

As this is positive thread my dh heard from his niece few weeks ago via Facebook he only has one niece and nephew and cousin in New Zealand 2nd cousin in Bristol
Anyway great they made contact after 9 years! She is 46 and has little daughter of 2! Such a surprise we hope we can meet up some point,

gmelon Tue 20-Feb-18 22:16:17

celebgran and anyone else long term estranged.
I would like to share my experience . Do not give up hope.

I have three adult sons.

My middle son left home at 16 . (obv against our wishes)

Was not in contact with us at all, not once, until he was 23.
Contact lasted aprox a year in which time he gained a girlfriend and his baby son, our grandson.

The one and only time we saw the baby was in hospital a day after he was born. Then he cut us off again.

We knew nothing, nothing, for all these years.

9 years on and very early last year my son suddenly contacted me through facebook and re-entered our lives complete with his now four children.

A wife and his own comfortable home.

We have had a couple of major fall outs but this time he always wants to resolve things , as obviously we do and have always done.

Over Christmas his marriage hit rocky times , (due to reasons that could not possibly have been forseen) and he is currently back living in our house complete with eldest grandson. (School is a few steps over the road for this grandson.)

The rest of the grandchildren visit as if they've always known us and suddenly everything is as it should be.

I had resigned myself to getting on with life years ago but was always wistful for what should have been. I imagined my grandson growing up, wondered what he was like now.

What I couldn't possibly have imagined was that there are now four beautiful grandchildren and the pleasure of seeing our son as a doting Father.

Ladies and Gentlemen never give up.

cornishsue1 Tue 20-Feb-18 22:33:00

A rollercoaster of a day (as is my norm) but being positive:

We picked up our 5 year old grandson after school, then got out all the wooden train track and made a track that covered the whole room. We then had a wonderful couple of hours playing with Thomas and his friends.

And right now I am in my bed, plus hot water bottle simultaneously playing Scrabble on my tablet with my daughter who is in her bed two miles away and my son in his bedroom across the hall. They are also playing each other. My son will win, he has autism and knows every two letter word in the dictionary, which is often the key to winning!

cornishsue1 Tue 20-Feb-18 22:47:24

I was so emotional last night knowing my daughter won't be there where she should be for my sons wedding. However I have to try accept she no longer wants us in her life I really do

Hope you are feeling much brighter today.

I understand, it's so hard isn't it? But as the preparations begin I hope you will be able to share the joy and excitement of the wedding preparations with your lovely son and his partner. When my daughter married last year she was firm in her resolve not to invite her estranged brother, and actually it was for the best. It would never have seemed like that at the beginning when I had dreams of a grand reunion. And although she has never said I think she was trying to protect me and her Dad from causing us any more grief should he have come and been "difficult". Maybe your son is doing the same. I think it is different for siblings somehow and how he must hate the sorrow and stress his sister has bought to his precious parents. On the wedding day I really was just able to enjoy the excitement of the day and not think about our son. Once we got home that night, surrounded by old friends who were staying with us, I cried and cried and cried (and I NEVER cry in public normally) but the wedding itself was just joyous. I really hope that you will be able to have that experience too Celegran - the joy part, not the tears.

123flump Tue 20-Feb-18 23:17:45

gmelon that is amazing. Truly amazing to have such a turn round. Do you have any idea why it all happened or have you just accepted it?

Long may it last.

MesMopTop Tue 20-Feb-18 23:45:33

It’s hearing about success stories like yours Maddy and Gmelon, that keeps the little bit of hope alive, especially on days when it just feels so hopeless. So happy to share your your wonderful news ladies. Here’s hoping for some more good news! My news is that it’s bucketing down which is good because we will get some much needed water in our tank. When we run low we’ve got to buy it and have it delivered by huge bowsers. You really don’t miss the water till the well runs dry. UK is blessed to have so much rain. Hope it stops though when I’m driving to work, can be quite hairy at times. Bonus is that it’s much cooler, very welcome indeed. Have a good day everyone x

gmelon Wed 21-Feb-18 00:24:56

123flump
He says that as a child he felt pushed out by our youngest son who was 6yrs younger than him and the baby of the family.
This was absolutely not the case, but we have to respect that this is how he has felt for many years.

We were not aware that this had created such anger and entrenched views.
All the boys were treated in the same manner and their differing needs met. Or so we thought.

We have talked and talked and he now has been reassured and remembers his childhood with a little more objectivity and realises it wasn't quite so bad and certain major things that he remembers were totally not as they appeared to him as a child. So we have been able to explain to him what actually was happening back then.
Most of all we said sorry to him that he was unhappy, we wouldn't have wanted that for the world and wished we had known.
We have all laid our cards on the table, listened and admitted where we went wrong.

He had lots of support from us all his life and particularly when he was finding it hard to decide which direction to take and what to study at school.
We found a college that was more suitable rather than the sixth form of his school. (he didn't go in the end because he had gone from home).

At our house, at Christmas, he met up with his younger brother (the one he thought pushed him out) there is a little bit of uneasiness because they have such different lives. Youngest was 10yrs old when they last saw each other.

Middle son was very surprised to find the youngest married, and them living a very frantic, busy life workwise.
Our middle son had imagined us and the youngest living in each others pockets and having a whale of a time together all these years. In fact we more or less have to make an appointment to see him and our daughter in law.

His brothers are both yet to have children and all three are totally different characters anyway.

He has a fiery and short temper , but this is nowadays backed up by him being very thoughtful about the issue and the next day and we make peace.

In his words he says he needs to feel safe and have the security of us . He's been without it all this time and didn't like that.
He offers us a lot of help and good advice too, about all sorts of aspects of our lives.
He has also been a great help to us in practical terms, doing a lot of work in our house etc, so this is not all one way just for him.

I think we have all grown up quite a lot since back then and are coming at this as different people.

He says some lovely things to us about how the future will be and us going over to France when he rents a villa this summer for a holiday with the children (and hopefully his wife).

I think we have all grown up quite a lot since back then and are coming at this as very different people.

gmelon Wed 21-Feb-18 00:28:44

correction
When I say he has had support all his life, I mean all his young life growing up, and when he returned at 23 for that year.
Obviously we were not able to do this all those years we were apart.

gmelon Wed 21-Feb-18 00:39:52

MesMopTop Thank you for your kind wishes and generousity in sending them.
I don't think the glimmer of hope ever leaves us when estranged, our children and grandchildren are constantly a presence in our minds .

123flump Wed 21-Feb-18 07:56:46

gmelon thanks for sharing. I am a middle child and I think sometimes being the middle one of three can be difficult, the older one is the first and no one can ever take that away, they always seem to be allowed to do things you can't and then the baby is always the baby and gets away with things. Doesn't mean it is that way from the adults point of view but I can understand how it feels. In my family I ended up being the closest to my mother but I think leaving home early helped, I was just 17. I didn't cut anyone off but I needed the space.

It is wonderful that you have worked it out and helped him see he is loved.

Violetfloss Wed 21-Feb-18 08:27:30

'This was absolutely not the case, but we have to respect that this is how he has felt for many years.'

I think this is key. That you have respected his feelings and his views. That you've both laid cards on the table and admitted where you and him went wrong. Explained both sides and you've both listened.
That's why it's worked out in my opinion.

My MIL was very quick to defend herself and minimise what had gone on. Calling DHs feelings 'silly' which then turned into arguments which were 'silly little arguments'...
When they really wasn't he was trying to explain his, very real feelings and she would dismiss them.
Which is why he stopped talking because she wasn't listening..

celebgran Wed 21-Feb-18 10:06:33

I have get moving. To h aid appt the. Root canal for dh?

Post more later violetfloss great see you post and you are absolutely right I must have not listened or realised that m y daughter was so upset when f inlaw died if only she had told me.

Wonderful to hear positive new gmelo more later.

123flump Wed 21-Feb-18 10:23:39

Violetfloss that is so true. That was what caused the problems with DH and his mother, she always had to have the last word and be proved right, he was silly and childish even in his 50s according to her. A bit of respect and listening is always a good thing.

maddyone Wed 21-Feb-18 10:26:18

That is such wonderful news gmelon, getting your son back after so long must be such a joy. Our EC (that was) is our youngest, but jealousy was/is one of her issues, but the biggest issue is mental health, and with the treatment she is now getting we hope that we will get our girl back fully (by that I don’t mean we’re estranged, but the lovely girl she was.) She’s doing well now, but still needs quite a lot of support, physical support with the children. But overall, things are very different now than they were before. And I know there are successes and people shouldn’t give up hope, because my own sister estranged my parents for many years but eventually made contact again.
Mesmoptop, glad it’s raining for you as that is what is needed, here it’s another bright and sunny day, lovely.
Poor Mr C, I hope his dental treatment goes well Celeb, I don’t envy him, he’ll be glad to be home with a nice cup of tea when it’s all over.

celebgran Wed 21-Feb-18 20:49:47

Totally agree maddyone gmelon I am on so pleased for you that is amazing.

Wonderful news for our positive thread,

How great you can Enjoy your grandchildren and son back in your lives.

I can't imagine it ever happening to us best I can do is focus on who we do have in our lives.

New h aids seem good! Dh survived root canal so far so good!

celebgran Wed 21-Feb-18 20:52:24

123flump you late m inlaw was so lucky she had you keep relationship going,

I guess our children seem like that to us even when adult but I agree we should respect the .
Sadly our daughter never seemed to respect us, it seems like another world all lovely cards and notes she wrote me,

Anyway mustn't get down this is a positive thread!

gmelon Thu 22-Feb-18 00:25:48

Thank you Celbran and Maddyone and all who have sent good wishes to me.

I am reading your posts about your situations and know how it is for you all.
All in differing circumstances but with the one common theme.

The thing that shines out of all of you is the love that is available to your families if only they would share in it.

"How can I give you my world if you won't take it from me"

a line from a Fleetwood Mac song "Go your own Way".

kitlong Thu 22-Feb-18 09:08:37

Is this the right place? I tried to get some "support" at Christmas but the arguing by others meant it didn't happen. I haven't been on the site since but today is a bad day and I feel I want to write it down. My DS and his partner had twins last year that I posted about on here - very premature born at 28 weeks and weighed 735 grams and 910 grams, so very tiny. In hospital for a very long time but eventually came out when they weighed 2 kilos at around their actual due date. We were all so proud and thrilled and saw them regularly. Anyway long story short DS and partner split up and we now we don't see them (including DS who is having to go through court for contact and has been told it cold take up to a year or more), didn't see them for their first Christmas and today is their birthday. Happy First Birthday to our beautiful Grandchildren.