Gransnet forums

Relationships

Mother's Day and Family Dynamics

(162 Posts)
crazyH Sat 03-Mar-18 20:34:35

With Mother's Day fast approaching , I was wondering how you get round the family dynamics. For years I was the only mother in the family, and I was at the centre of the day. My own mother was in another country, my ex husband's mother had passed away ...similarly for Fathers Day there was only him to consider.
NOW...I am divorced, my divorced daughter is a mother of 2 children, my 2 adult boys are married and their wives are mothers themselves, then of course, the daughtersinlaw have mothers. So how do you work around this. My eldest son is going away for that weekend (easy way out)- I'll probably get a card. Last year, my daughter , myself and her children went out for a meal. I got cards from the boys. Didn't get anything from dinlaws , not even a text message. I can understand...they have their own mother's and grandmothers, and they are not close to me anyway. Our relationships are hanging by a thread. I know I'm going to think of all the old mother's days when I was the centre of it all.....selfish me
My ideal Mother's Day Celebration will be the whole family all the mothers , dilaws mother's , grandmothers all having a lovely meal together and loads of Prossecco..... it remains just that ....A WISH !!!!!

Yogagirl Sun 11-Mar-18 16:38:48

Hear, hear notoveryet sorry that your DDad died on Mother's Day, my dad died traumatically too, it was the eve of my Son's birthday, just past midnight, I always make sure I say it was the day after his birthday, but in actually fact I do think of it as on his birthday sad

I think it mean too Smileless

Cabbie if I was cooking today, you could come too smile

It was always me cooking the Sunday, Xmas, Easter, Mother's Day dinner and all were invited.

rockgran yes it is nice to be remembered. Wonder if my estD&S are remembering me today sad

hildajenniJ Sun 11-Mar-18 17:09:49

Yesterday I had a visit from DD and DGD. They brought me a card, box of chocolates and A very pretty jar containing an unscented candle. Today my DS came for his lunch, as he does every Sunday. No gift or card from him though he did mention the day. I didn't expect anything from him, but his flippant, unthinking remarks made me sad and a little cross. I didn't show it, but felt a bit deflated. He said that he was glad to be away from all the busyness at the pub (where he works) as they had lunch bookings until 4pm. In all the years I've been a mother, never once have I been treated to lunch at a restaurant. Maybe next year then.

annsixty Sun 11-Mar-18 17:18:33

Ditto here hilda I was always the one cooking for every occasion.
Some years I was cooking for my own mother when she got old and then coming home and cooking for my 2 and their spouses.
I think actually we like being martyrs, at least it gives us something to moan about.?

Yogagirl Mon 12-Mar-18 07:18:37

Ooh Hilda think you should have held that lovely roast dinner back, with a little cough and an aum!

MawBroon Mon 12-Mar-18 08:30:26

What’s an aum?

ginny Mon 12-Mar-18 09:14:21

Hildajennij, next year tell your son that you will be having a day off cooking as it is Mother’s Day. Treat yourself to something nice.

Yogagirl Mon 12-Mar-18 09:59:28

MawBroon if you don't know what an aum is, well I never did grin

MawBroon Mon 12-Mar-18 11:16:39

Seriously.

Eglantine21 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:26:43

I think it's something like huhummm. An excuse me sort of cough that tails off into a deep hum ( accompanied by a roll of the eyes or Paddingtons hard stare) grin

MawBroon Mon 12-Mar-18 11:36:19

Ah right.
An audible hmm
What I might call. A Hmm.
Sorry yoga transcriptions of grunts are always tricky

Yogagirl Mon 12-Mar-18 16:26:28

I was pulling your leg MawBroon grin There should be a dictionary for these audibles, but Eglantine gave a good explanation, so maybe we can call on her from time to time hmm