Gransnet forums

Relationships

Mother of groom wedding invite

(54 Posts)
jordana Sun 29-Jul-18 17:58:48

Years ago in the 1960''s it was the standard etiquette to send a wedding invitation to the grooms parents from the brides mother as it was stated on the invitation that it was " Mr and Mrs ** request the pleasure ..." as it was the brides parents who paid for the wedding. Is this the case nowadays?

Eglantine21 Sun 29-Jul-18 18:03:36

No. I’d say not.

It was a throw back to parents rejoicing that they’d managed to arrange a marriage for their daughter and get her off their hands grin

I think Id find it a bit weird to be invited to my own son’s wedding.

PECS Sun 29-Jul-18 18:08:01

We sent one (1971) to my in-laws as we thought they would like an invite as a memento!

BBbevan Sun 29-Jul-18 18:30:13

We sent one ( 2010) as that is the way to do it.

pollyperkins Sun 29-Jul-18 18:36:44

We did the same when we got married (traditional) but on DDs invitation our names and grooms parents were both included at her request. I think that is more usual tgese days. Or even for the couple themselves to invite people.

Farmor15 Sun 29-Jul-18 18:52:55

These days the couple mostly send the invitations. They may send to their own family - both sets of parents and siblings, even though it’s understood they’re invited.

Even if bride’s parents are contributing to cost of wedding, the couple themselves usually make all the arrangements. At least that’s my experience of being invited to weddings in recent years.

annsixty Sun 29-Jul-18 19:12:05

It is so long since I went to a wedding that the etiquette escapes me.
When my C got married we received an invitation from the bride's parents in the case of my S and sent invitations to the parents of the groom when my D married.
This was really for momentoes for the parents.
Does it matter that now both C are now no longer in those marriages??

Daddima Sun 29-Jul-18 19:15:36

Ours were always , as Jordana says, ‘ Mr & Mrs Blank request....’, but latterly we’ve had ones like, ‘ Hi there! Girl & Boy are getting married, and would love you to join us’, or something similar.
I liked the old way, and my mother insisted the invitations all said, ‘ request the pleasure of your company’, with the name(s) being written on the envelope. Space left on the invitation card for the guests’ names was ‘common’, apparently, as were cards which were anything other than plain heavy white card with silver edging and lettering!
Oh, and acceptance had to be by hand-written letter, thanking Mrs & Mrs for the invitation,repeating the invitation wording, and having ‘ much pleasure in accepting’!

HildaW Sun 29-Jul-18 19:26:33

We have a lovely one at the moment...sent by the bride & groom which is phrased.......'Join us to celebrate the wedding of......&......' Financially I have no idea who is paying I suspect the young couple are putting in a fair bit, they are certainly doing most of the arrangements (with a generous wedding present coming from parents).
I think modern weddings are so varied, with many of the young couples having set up home years before they marry. In fact I did find myself questioning all the press interest in the recent royal wedding....all that 'is the father going to give the bride away?' business. She hardly needed giving away, she was an independent young woman who had been in charge of her life for many years as many young women are nowadays. Yes, its nice for a loved parent to 'walk them down the isle'.....but 'give them away'.....not really surely?

BBbevan Sun 29-Jul-18 19:26:49

Ditto Daddima

Anniebach Sun 29-Jul-18 20:15:10

Me to Daddima and BB, I did the same for both my daughters weddings and my parents did the same for mine

cornergran Sun 29-Jul-18 20:51:13

One was a very formal invitation from the br

cornergran Sun 29-Jul-18 20:53:43

Oops! Try bagain.

One was a very formal invitation from the brides parents which arrived through the post. The other much less formal from the bride and groom, handed personally to all parents as a memento.

We’ve kept both.

Nannarose Sun 29-Jul-18 21:05:16

I think it largely depends on who is paying. One of our sons married into a rather old-fashioned family where they had been saving for their daughter's wedding. The invites went out with the traditional wording,
Mr. & Mrs. Bennet request your company at the wedding of their daughter Elizabeth to Mr. Fitwilliam Darcy....
They gave us one 'as a memento'.
Our other sons have paid for their own, with input from both sets of parents, the invites have been less formal, and we have also been given invites 'as a memento'.

agnurse Sun 29-Jul-18 21:48:23

The general etiquette is that the invitations should be sent by whoever is paying. So, if both sets of parents are chipping in, it should say something to the effect of: "Mr. and Mrs. Ron Smith and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bloggs request your presence at the marriage of their children, Jane and Peter." If it is the couple themselves it would say "Jane Smith and Peter Bloggs request the pleasure of your company on the occasion of their marriage".

Anniebach Sun 29-Jul-18 21:51:09

I was old fashion then ?, I paid for the wedding gowns, cars, bouquets, choir, I didn’t have to pay for the Cathedral , organist , the two priests who officiated at both weddings or the flowers in the cathedral, these were gifts, I was a member of the flower guild ? and worked in the cathedral. The four priests were family friends. My brother paid for the reception and my parents for the evening party, I couldn’t afford those. I liked weddings arranged this way but sadly they are on the way out.

NonnaW Sun 29-Jul-18 21:56:18

We got an invitation from DSD, to her own dad! I know it was a 2nd marriage and was being held and co_organised by his parents, but it did seem a bit odd!

PECS Sun 29-Jul-18 22:03:04

I cannot even recall what DD did for her wedding! I will have a copy of the invite somewhere but what it said I don't know now! It was a fab and joyful day where we all had a lovely time ..the finer details did not matter to me or to DD & her husband... as long as the people they wanted at their celebration knew when where it was that was her main concern,, it looked nice I remember that hmm

MillieBear Sun 29-Jul-18 22:39:12

It will always be a painful memory for me when I recall my son's new inlaws actually thanking me for coming to 'their wedding'...and yes, we had contributed...quite a lot.

PECS Sun 29-Jul-18 22:50:29

Oh dear Millie how horribly insensitive! We all shared the cost of DDs wedding and saw it as their day not ours or the in laws!

MillieBear Sun 29-Jul-18 22:52:43

PECS it was made worse by my DIL thanking everyone, her parents, brothers, grandparents, my late DH....but not me or my partner. I just wanted to go home.

muffinthemoo Mon 30-Jul-18 15:40:04

We handed the parents blank ones for mementos when they arrived.

My brother’s MIL sent my parents an invitation since she was making a larger contribution than them. Mother went loco and this probably contributed to the day from hell.

PECS Mon 30-Jul-18 15:49:14

Oh Millie that sounds a bit sad x

MillieBear Mon 30-Jul-18 16:09:59

It was indeed PECS. Anyway my apologies, I don't want to hijack the thread. Weddings and funerals....always cause problems.

pollyperkins Tue 31-Jul-18 09:10:37

Not always Muffin! Maybe stress in making arrangements and there's always some little blip but in my experience the families have usually been fine with all the arrangements and no-one has fallen out!