Gransnet forums

Relationships

husband and children/grandchildr en

(87 Posts)
manny Mon 17-Sep-18 11:00:17

I've posted on this topic before - about two years ago - and my issues around it have deteriorated.
I remarried about four years ago. I have three AC and five GC. My husband can accept one of my AC and her daughters but cannot (will not?) welcome the other two families into our homes (we have a lovely house in France) I celebrated a milestone birthday a few months ago. One AC and her family stayed in our house. The others had to rent a house nearby. When I go to visit the two families he struggles with, I have to go alone. The atmosphere in our home is so tense as a result of his attitudes, which are authoritarian and rigid, that they no longer stay with us. This has meant that my contact with them is more limited. We were a close family and I feel that this closeness is no longer there. We have had counselling which worked for a short period of time but things have deteriorated again. I have visited the doctor as my anxiety levels are very high and have been prescribed medication. I have also organised appointments with a therapist in order to learn CBT techniques to cope with the resulting anxiety and depression, and also with the feeling of anger I have towards my husband because of the whole situation.
A second major problem arises from his refusal to stop working. He is seventy eight and still organises sporting events - one a year for the past four years. These are big events and require a large amount of time spent on the internet. He refuses to set boundaries on this, spending many hours every day on the computer, which is his best friend. I think that the underlying problem in both of these issues is a total inability to relax. He will not deal with this.
I've tried to talk to him on numerous occasions, to no avail.
I can't see any solution to this, other than to separate. I don't want to do this, but feel overwhelmed now with feelings of depression and loss. I cannot see the situation clearly now because of this. There is no laughter or fun in this house any more - everything is deadly serious.
What I'd like to know is if anyone out there has experience of this, and, if so, how did they deal with it? And can someone with an objective view tell me if I'm unreasonable to feel like this?
I should add that my AC have all approached him with respect and consideration. They are all hardworking people and are excellent parents.

JudyJudy12 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:13:17

You say you do not want to separate, what keeps you together? it sounds miserable form what you say.

manny Mon 17-Sep-18 11:17:13

That's a question I ask myself increasingly. He was appreciative and affectionate at the start of our relationship. We've been together for over eight years now, but these issues just won't go away. I understand that he needs to have interests, but his interests are all-consuming. I now feel like a housekeeper rather than a wife.

Eglantine21 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:18:54

Sorry manny,, but I have no idea why you are staying in a marriage that makes you unhappy and ill.

Can you answer why?

JenniferEccles Mon 17-Sep-18 11:22:19

This is an awful situation for you.
There is presumably a reason why he has taken against your other two children? Was there a falling out at some point, or is it just maybe a clash of personalities?
You sound certain that the fault doesn't lie with them.

Whatever the reason is many make absolutely sure it does not adversely affect your relationship with those two offspring. You would never forgive yourself if you do.

manny Mon 17-Sep-18 11:28:01

Yes, Jennifer. I am determined to stay close to my family. There was no big falling out and he keeps saying 'I have nothing against them'
He has been in one daughter's house once - for a matter of hours. He has never been in my son's house. I don't understand any of it.

Granny23 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:29:27

The first thing that popped into my head was that you need a break from each other. You say that you have two homes, so would it be possible to have a lengthy period apart, one in each house? This would allow you to take stock, relax and see if your health improves. It is obvious that the stress and strain of this situation is taking its toll.

The bottom line is that you should not be having to take medication and visit a therapist to ameliorate the effects of HIS problem.

Eglantine21 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:36:31

I looked you up manny and see that you posted the same problem two years ago. You weren’t happy then and you’re even more unhappy now.

Do you want to just let off steam? And to have everyone agree how difficult he is ? That’s fine, we all do it.

But if you want a solution it lies in your hands. Two years, manny and it’s the same problem. You can’t change what he does, you can change what you do.

JenniferEccles Mon 17-Sep-18 11:42:51

Unfortunately because of his age I fear he is unlikely to change his ways, and his behaviour is having such a bad effect on your health.

In your situation and for all the reasons you have mentioned, I think I would accept that the marriage is over and separate.

manny Mon 17-Sep-18 11:44:11

You're right on all counts, Eglantine. I'm afraid of loneliness, I suppose. I really wanted to spend the last years of my life feeling some measure of contentment. And we were happy at one time. But that's all gone. The loneliness within marriage is almost worse

Eglantine21 Mon 17-Sep-18 12:28:15

Manny, loneliness within marriage is much, much worse than being single. . You’re having a horrible life because you dread having a horrible life.

Now that doesn’t make sense does it? ?

sodapop Mon 17-Sep-18 12:43:10

Eglantine is right, loneliness within a marriage is worse than being alone. If its possible to do as Granny23 suggests and live separately for a while this would help clarify things and reduce your stress levels. I really don't see any positives for you, estranged from part of your family and living with a man who does not appreciate you. I can't see him changing after all this time so you must for the sake of your health and family.

loopyloo Mon 17-Sep-18 12:52:08

I must admit I think I understand your predicament. My OH is still driven to work all the time and seems unable to relax. We seem to have very little in common now. I am trying to cope with it. Financially we would not be very well off if we separated. I think part of it is an inability to come to terms with ageing so they stick with what they know and dig their heels in.

oldbatty Mon 17-Sep-18 12:55:37

manny, this is sad at any time of life, but especially sad now.

Could you take a short trip somewhere and pull back from the situation and have a good long think?

glammanana Mon 17-Sep-18 13:02:10

manny I remember reading your post a couple of years ago and feel so sorry that you are still under going such problems with your OH.
Does your OH have any ACs of his own and if he has do they visit you
You have many years ahead of you and they should be spent in a happy enviroment not walking on eggshells as you have been doing,you should be able to welcome your ACs into your home when ever you want and enjoy their company.
I would personally move away from this relationship and move near your family where I am sure you will not be lonely at all as by the sound of things you have no social contact at all at the present. Sending you ((hugs)) you need them x

manny Mon 17-Sep-18 13:16:30

No, he has no children. I thought - naively- that in his later years, he might welcome family involvement. I do have social contact, but my problem is that I really miss the family contact I once had. I realise that remarriage makes things different - but I had no idea of the problems I would face. I feel very resentful, as quite often we have guests to stay and I make a big effort to entertain them and to make them welcome, but he won't reciprocate and welcome most of the family.

Nanabilly Mon 17-Sep-18 13:27:10

You say you feel like the housekeeper . Do you think this could have all been a part of a big plan for him to find someone to be just that. Have you been duped do you think?
It seems to me that you may have been and if I were you I would up and leave and get back that close family unit you once had before it is too late. Your family must be so sad for you and they will probably welcome you with open arms and ask "what took you so long?"
No one deserves a life of sadness and seriousness 24 hours a day.

Izabella Mon 17-Sep-18 13:33:14

I was just thinking the same as you Nanabilly and then read your post. A sad situation which I think you need to resolve now manny as you have never been met even half way in this relationship. Be true to yourself and bail out

Willow10 Mon 17-Sep-18 13:50:23

All the above advice is good and well meant Manny, I hope you will find the strength to act on it. If this post were by someone else, what would you be advising them to do? I'm sure your family would welcome you with open arms. You may think you will be lonely on your own, but aren't you lonely now? Better to be alone and happy than together and so unhappy. flowers

jenwren Mon 17-Sep-18 14:11:39

The worst loneliness you could have is the loneliness in a marriage. The very reason I stayed with my second husband. Divorced in 2006 and THANK GOD we did. Found me and found a new life. Your right on one thing Manny 'he aint going to change'

manny life is too short at this stage of your life to be misrable.

sazz1 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:16:50

Sadly you cannot get back to how the relationship was in earlier times and waiting for it to get better is a waste of time. Have been there with my first husband but once the rot sets in it's not going to change. Cut your losses and leave for your own health and wellbeing before you go under with the stress. All the best. Hugs xxx

inishowen Mon 17-Sep-18 14:22:22

Your husband does not deserve to keep you. You say you feel like a housekeeper, so he has someone to do the housework while he gives nothing back. For your sanity move away from him. You can then enjoy your family. Please don't let any more years go by like this.

Granstender Mon 17-Sep-18 14:27:00

How dare he behave in such a way to your children! Was he like this before you married him?

jools1903 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:39:15

Having been married twice (and felt like you in the second marriage), I got out and now live alone. I value my family, friends and life too much to let someone, who supposedly loves me, make me unhappy xx

manny Mon 17-Sep-18 14:40:49

He was, a bit. They used to come to stay with me, sometimes for a week at a time. My DDs husband works away a lot, so she would come to stay just so she had some company and a bit of help. It all changed when my OH and I built a bigger house and I moved in there. Her first visit there with the my granddaughters was not a happy experience, so now she stays with her sister who lives close by. It affects all the usual family get togethers, like Christmas. They - all three children and the grandchildren - were in our house for a couple of hours just after last Christmas. He couldn't bear it. Too much noise, and the kids were going to pull down the lamps, he said. They've never broken anything. 'This is an adult house' I was told.