Gransnet forums

Relationships

Need advice on what to do now

(33 Posts)
Nanagem Fri 02-Nov-18 13:37:34

I am in desperate need of advice , and really have no one to ask.

Those that have read previous posts know that the last time I saw my son, his fiancée and GD, then aged 3 months, was last Boxing Day. I don’t know why, but they haven’t been near since. I have mobility problems and suffer from anxiety. Apart from 2 dentist and a a doctors appointment, I haven’t left the house since the end of January. My son knows all my problems, but kept saying if I wanted to see them I had to go to their second storey flat.

Anyway, situation now is, they have moved to a house, 2 hours drive away. This was in August, I have sent the occasional text message, and he sometimes replies, he told me a week before the move. I sent another text a few days later asking about the house and could I have an address to send flowers etc, no reply. I sent the odd message, upbeat, asking how they are and giving family gossip, he sometimes replied in like.

Then two weeks ago he contacted me on FaceTime out of the blue !and we had a nice chat, his dad was with me, and it was lovely. Then he said the reason he had phoned was because they were due another child in the new year and as his fiancée had put it on Facebook, he didn’t want me to hear from someone else. We were shocked, but said the right things, though my husband was still a little short with him.

He said we would be welcome to visit, he would let me have the address when I arranged a date, DH muttered something about thinking on it, and the call ended.

Since then nothing, I sent a message saying we were pleased to hear from him, and glad with the news and that he is happy and well, no reply. He doesn’t answer any calls, not since last Christmas, it’s only text, normally in the morning when he is on his way to work I think, the time he has read it comes up under the message, it can take days for him to open a message. I have tried to get DH to take me, but he says “he doesn’t want to go where he isn’t wanted, the fiancée has made it clear she doesn’t want us, and our GD doesn’t even know us.” He also feels that I will get stressed about it, and then get upset when my beloved GD doesn’t recognise us, I suppose he’s right on that. My other children, both drive, and live at home, when I mentioned their brother they say he’s gone by his own choice, if he wants to see them , he can come here.

What do I do, what do I say to my son.

wellingtonpie Sun 04-Nov-18 16:51:58

I know Smileless. Believe me, I was and still am so sad about that, especially when I hear Perry Como sing "And I love you so " which was a song she loved. But it was as it was. A complicated relationship in many ways. She was a good mum when u was small but very controlling as an adult. But the saddest thing is that she died entirely on her own. She had embittered my sister and She had no friends. I swear on my life I'd never let that happen with my own children if I could possibly help it. I know too that some things ju are beyond our control, and events take over. Thank you for your concern.

crazyH Sun 04-Nov-18 23:28:31

So, so sad, wellingtonpie.....sad all round. I don't know how and why the relationship got so complicated. I don't wish to sound patronising but could you not have found it in your heart, in the end to forgive her, just for old times' sake - you say she was a good mother when you were young. I'm surprised she never had friends either.

wellingtonpie Mon 05-Nov-18 06:01:02

CrazyH. It is now 20 years since she died. And yes it was complicated. Lots of stuff went on. But in my heart of hearts I have forgiven her and hope that she is in a happier place.

crazyH Mon 05-Nov-18 10:50:26

I'm so glad you have forgiven her. I feel I was the opposite of your mother. I think I gave my children a hard time when they were young. Their father was a serial philanderer .....I took out my frustrations on the children.....it was so wrong. I'm sure they remember it and sometimes remind me . But now that they are adults, they understand, at least I hope they understand.

wellingtonpie Mon 05-Nov-18 19:34:56

Life can make you do things you regret. But really although sometimes it's really difficult it's ourselves that we have to forgive. I hope you don't worry. Your children should understand. Sometimes though they don't get passed it. Have you explained things to them.

crazyH Mon 05-Nov-18 20:12:55

I mention it in passing and usually the subject is brought up at family gettogethers - We try to joke about it....I don't go out of my way to bring up the past because it is their father after all. And at times, I feel , if I was a better wife he wouldn't have strayed. They are adults now and I feel they can make their own judgements now. I think we have a fairly good relationship except that, funnily enough, one d.i.l. doesn't particularly like me. I wonder if she has heard stories....hmmmm, I wonder. She is close friends with my ex husbands wife.

wellingtonpie Tue 06-Nov-18 05:43:11

My children's father was also a serial womaniser. But none of them have any contact with him only with the children of his second marriage. But you're right. They're adults. But don't be too hard on yourself. Being in a situation is far more difficult than talking about it after and think about what you could or should have done. You did what you did in those circumstances. My mother made a bad situation so much worse because she hated their father and tried to denigrate him in front of the children so I had to have really strong words. She thought she was the matriarch in our family and we all had to bow to her. Horrible times.