Gransnet forums

Relationships

Mean Daughter-in-law

(107 Posts)
GrandmaFaye Mon 12-Nov-18 02:16:45

My son has an 11 year old little girl from a previous relationship. A few years ago he married his wife now and they have a son. His wife is very jealous of his daughter. She seems to expect all his family to favor their son over his daughter. I refuse to do that. I treat them equally and she has sent me some very nasty disrespectful text messages.she can be very mean and acts like a spoiled brat. Do I show the text to my son or just let it go and stay quite about it ? She has always been disrespectful to me. She is 33 years old so it’s not like she is not old enough to know better.

Baggs Mon 12-Nov-18 06:01:59

Let it lie. She's not going to change at that age. Carry on doing what you know is right and giving the same love to each of the children.

GrandmaFaye Mon 12-Nov-18 06:04:17

Thank you so much for your input.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 12-Nov-18 08:17:15

I think you're right to treat them equally. Your DIL is in the wrong. If she persists with nasty texts, maybe speak to your son but perhaps not just yet.

PECS Mon 12-Nov-18 08:25:45

I am in agreement with baggs here. You continue to behave like a sensible adult. Pay as little attention as you can to unkind texts and love your grandchildren equally & demonstrate that love as you know is right. Do not give oxygen to DiLs behaviour., it would only increase!

travelsafar Mon 12-Nov-18 08:43:42

Please let it lie. My DIL fell out with me over a concern i expressed and the punishment is more or less total estrangement from my son-he is piggy in the middle- and i have only seen my youngest GD three times in the past year and my elder two not at all.It just isnt worth the heart break. Hold your tongue and bite your lip and carry on regardless is my advise.

sodapop Mon 12-Nov-18 08:48:18

I would let it go at the moment, you can be the bigger person and treat both children equally, don't let her attitude mar your relationship with them.
If things escalate you may have to talk to your son but for now bite your tongue.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Nov-18 08:56:43

I wouldn't crack on to your son if I was you however much you might want to say something. Least said and all that.
The children are both your grandchildren so focus on them and ignore her childish ways.

crazyH Mon 12-Nov-18 09:11:56

No GrandmaFaye, don't talk to your son. If he is anything like mine, he will only take his wife's side. I am also at the receiving end of nasty texts from my d.i.l. But, if I want to see the gc, I have to keep quiet. I am constantly having to "beg" to see them and yet I get accused of not caring. Can't win.

fiorentina51 Mon 12-Nov-18 09:23:56

Don't rock the boat but keep the text messages. You might need them later.

Smileless2012 Mon 12-Nov-18 09:37:15

I agree with all of the above GrandmaFaye. Not responding and letting her know they get to you will be annoying her.

I would certainly do as fiorentina has suggested and keep the messages just in case you do need them at a later date.

Nanabilly Mon 12-Nov-18 09:44:21

Next time she sends a nasty text tell her this had better be the last nasty one she sends or you will show them to your son.
It should stop it. Hopefully.
Carry on treating both gc the same.
Does your son know she is like this or is it all done behind his back.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Nov-18 10:46:40

How does the present wife know how you treat the first granddaughter ? Is someone feeding her details I don’t understand how she can know anything about your relationship with any others unless you or your son are telling her

evianers Mon 12-Nov-18 10:58:06

How I sympathise! Although our DIL is not vicious or nasty she refuses to speak to us and will not disclose what has upset her to the extent where she doesn't talk. It creates a nasty atmosphere. We speak to our DS and the DGC on Skype every Sunday, but she is nowhere to be seen. Lucky are those who have wonderful DsiL

MamaCaz Mon 12-Nov-18 11:08:56

I have to say that your dil's problem sounds to be one of jealousy or insecurity.
I am embaressed to admit that i felt a bit like that in my early twenties, but fortunately i grew out of it. Unfortunately, if she is like this in her thirties, I can't imagine her getting any better now.
As others have said, carry on as you are, and don't rock the boat by saying anything to either her or your son!

carolmary Mon 12-Nov-18 11:13:49

It seems to me that it is your relationship with your DIL that is the problem here. Have you tried talking to your DIL face to face about this? She may well feel insecure and think you may be comparing her to your son's ex. As the MIL, I think you have to be the one offering the olive branch! Could you perhaps ask DIL out for lunch on her own saying that you want to get your relationship on a better footing? It might just work if you can show her that you understand how she feels. You may never get to be bosom pals but she is your son's choice after all! Presumably the daughter still lives with her own Mum. Of course you will treat your GD in the same way as your GS,but you don't need to tell your DIL everything about your relationship with your GD. Good luck.

Grammaretto Mon 12-Nov-18 11:14:16

Text messages can be poisonous.
I wonder why she behaves like this?
It's a story straight out of Snow White or Cinderella
Send her a copy? Not the text, the fairy tale.
I do know people who have been on the receiving end of stuff like this.
One, when she was a girl on visits to her dad and his new wife, only photos if her step siblings were on display. The pain never left her.

moobox Mon 12-Nov-18 11:14:37

Dear me, evianers ' description is just how it used to be with us!! GrandmaFaye, my ex DIL would not have responded well to any kind of threat, and any comment about the nasty texts would not have helped, as she is so unforgiving of anyone who challenges her. Either don't respond or kill it dead with some kind of pleasant comment about their lovely son

Nain9bach Mon 12-Nov-18 11:17:40

Honestly do not understand vile people. If you let on to her that she is achieving her goal of getting to you she has won. Ignore her, be sweetness personified. Then go to the gym and bunch the heck out of a punchbag!!

PECS Mon 12-Nov-18 11:19:50

In a different situation but maybe similar feelings. My DDs FiLs wife is quite distant with me. I think she believes that I was a good friend of FiLs 1st wife. We were neighbours for a while but whilst friendly not " mates"! I actually think I would have more in common with new wife but she avoids attending too many shared occasions.

lilihu Mon 12-Nov-18 11:20:29

Intrigued to know what the texts actually say!

Saggi Mon 12-Nov-18 11:26:26

I suppose I'm lucky with my SIL . Even though he and my daughter are in the proceed of splitting up, me and him can still be civil and polite to one another. I know the situation between them has become quite intolerable but the welfare of my grandchildren is paramount to all of us. I know I am playing a large part in keeping stability in thier lives on a day-to-day basis, and I'm thankful for that. Sooner rather than later it will all be sorted but I hope to remain on good terms with SIL . Anyway he would NEVER restrict my seeing my grandkids ...he knows what I mean to them and them to me. I do not understand such selfish behaviour on any parents part than can deny thier kids access and time spent with thier gandparents. Children aren't bargaining chips to be used by others to score 'points'

annep Mon 12-Nov-18 11:28:39

My DIL is a bit like this. I find the best thing is to try to be assertive face to face but generally just to keep the peace. Easiest way..unfortunately life isn't always what we want. Stress is bad for you. I would actually get someone else to read her texts and if there is anything important in them tell you If not just delete them.

DotMH1901 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:32:16

I would let it go - they are both your grandchildren and you should continue to treat them equally so. If your DIL is anything like my ex SIL they will only make it seem as if you are trying to cause a problem whilst they are completely innocent! My Mum was jealous of my older half sister and her Mum, even though Dad had been divorced some time before my Mum married him. The first time I met my half sister was at Dad's funeral and, even then, Mum kicked up a fuss about it afterwards. I wish I had known my half sister years ago - I contacted her after Mum died but we have lost so much time - simply because my Mum was so against us having contact.

mabon1 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:44:00

Dont react, just let it go over your head.