Gransnet forums

Relationships

Loss of a friend

(49 Posts)
crazyH Sun 16-Dec-18 13:04:04

Feeling very low.....just heard that one of my friends has passed away. Her daughter rang me. What gets to me is that her daughter and son didn't bother with her for years. She was divorced from their father and they chose to take their father's side. They resumed contact in the last few months of her life. Maybe I'm cynical, but why did they leave it so long? You've guessed it $€$€ ?..We were in regular contact and when I last spoke to her, she said she was leaving it all to her grandchildren, which I told her was a good idea. I hope she got round to doing it .

Luckygirl Sun 16-Dec-18 13:06:53

I am sorry that you have lost a friend. flowers

crazyH Sun 16-Dec-18 13:13:51

Thankyou Luckygirl x

EllanVannin Sun 16-Dec-18 14:49:09

I've lost 3 close friends and a cousin in this last 14 months and it's just left me numb to be honest. We'd all been together since the early 60's and I attended weddings,christenings and anniversaries. I never gave it a thought that I'd also be present at their funerals too.

It's been a difficult year.

crazyH Sun 16-Dec-18 15:06:35

Sorry for your loss Ellan......it's hard isn't it? I haven't been able to do anything today, just thinking of her and the good times we had.

NanKate Sun 16-Dec-18 15:11:24

CrazyH how very sad for you. ?

This past year one particular WI friend has been particularly supportive of me through a very difficult and sad divorce of my son. She never failed to ask genuinely how I was and show concern. She recently had a stroke and was in hospital. I wrote to her twice as she didn’t want visitors and then heard she had had another stroke and died. I am so sad, just like you. I shall miss her so much and I only saw her once or twice a month at WI. Some people are special.

dragonfly46 Sun 16-Dec-18 15:11:29

So sorry to hear that Ellan and Crazy. It is very sad but unfortunately what is happening more and more at our time of life. I lost a very good friend in October and just found it so hard to believe as she was always such a strong woman.

Fennel Sun 16-Dec-18 15:21:44

I know how it feels - a close friend of mine from the '70s died quite suddenly ?last year. I wrote on here about it.
So many memories of the times we spent together.
Luckily her family was still united, though they'd had some hard times like all of us.

Tooglamtogiveadamn Sun 16-Dec-18 16:52:43

How sad! My condolences and best wishes! flowers

Day6 Sun 16-Dec-18 17:09:44

It is sad. And yes, I agree, some people are special NanKate even if they aren't close friends. The world is a sadder place without them in it.

We lost a close friend earlier this year It was such a surprise and shock as he was very fit and active and wonderful company. He swam, played tennis, ran all sorts of clubs and was active in the community. He also cared for his wife who was quite frail. We imagined she would go first but thought it would be some time away as they were both only in their early 60s.

My condolences to you all. It's hard to get used to the fact some people are no longer in our lives.

agnurse Sun 16-Dec-18 17:44:19

Unfortunately we are approaching a time of year when the death rate increases. I worked in a hospice for two years during graduate school. One winter, in January and February, I had a patient die on my shift every weekend for two months straight, with the exception of one weekend I didn't work as I was away. (For context, I was the night nurse on the weekends. So this was at least every other shift.) It seems as if people try to give everything they have to get through one last Christmas and then that's it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

morrisqs5 Mon 17-Dec-18 00:06:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

crazyH Mon 17-Dec-18 00:10:50

Thanks all xx

grannyqueenie Mon 17-Dec-18 08:48:37

Reported the post after agnurse

paddyann Mon 17-Dec-18 09:05:28

Really? You've lost a friend and your first thought is her will and that her children dont benefit from it!!
It really is none of your business what she did or didn't do so you should forget about it .Neither is it any of your business why her children got back in touch so why are you being so horrible about them ?

cangran Mon 17-Dec-18 10:10:56

To CrazyH and everyone who has lost a close friend, I have also just lost a very dear friend and understand how sad it is to know you'll never see them again. It's a raw time but I hope you all can remember the good times and laughter you enjoyed with your friends. My friend J had had cancer for many years and endured many different treatments without complaint (she was a private person who never wanted to talk about her illness but to just enjoy the times she was well enough to meet up). I think of her now and smile when I remember the crazy coloured wigs she wore at times when she had lost her hair, her hugs, her smile. Rest in peace my sweet friend.

Coconut Mon 17-Dec-18 10:20:54

I accept that we all have very different opinions, but am always taken back by the harsh words that some people post on here, and the negative spin put on the comments. Criticism when warranted should always be constructive not destructive. I interpret CrazyH situation as primarily being very sad that she has lost a friend, then that her friend had suffered years of neglect by her AC, the Will is just a side issue. My own Mum is affected every Xmas by the amount of friends that she crosses off her card list.

paddyann Mon 17-Dec-18 10:32:16

Coconut we've been to 4 funerals in the past few weeks ,one where the man hadn't seen his children for two decades ...his choice .The very last thing on my mind was why his estranged children turned up at the funeral of a dad who apparently didn't give a damn about them or whether he had left any money to them.Honestly why do people think they have the right to poke into other folks affairs?

inishowen Mon 17-Dec-18 10:33:21

paddyann those are cruel words. The OP has lost a friend. She's entitled to say whatever she feels. You are very judgmental.

Izabella Mon 17-Dec-18 10:39:37

Agree inishowen.

However, paddyann I am sorry you are in the midst of so much grief yourself. I too am in that situation at the moment and feel I have graduated into some sort of professional funeral attender.

Sad times for so many .......

GabriellaG54 Mon 17-Dec-18 10:42:47

Lost and passed? Can't people use the word 'died'?
Lost and passed do not mean died.

Purplepoppies Mon 17-Dec-18 10:46:18

I'm not sure that any venom is warranted on post about loss???
I thought everyone was entitled to have an opinion as long as it wasn't hurting anybody directly!
A good friend of mine died earlier in the year. Boxing day will not be the same without her especially. We spent it together with my family. It was special to me.
Sending hugs to everyone who is missing someone ?

paddyann Mon 17-Dec-18 10:47:25

inishowen nothing "cruel" about it ,I would never interfere in a friends financial affairs OR comment on them ,I wouldn't expect them to stick their noses into mine.Dead or alive !

Theoddbird Mon 17-Dec-18 11:23:46

Her soul flies free... hugs for you. X

holdingontometeeth Mon 17-Dec-18 12:01:09

Sorry to hear about your losses crazyH and paddyann.
I note that you are being admonished for your comments, which do not appear to agree with the clique whose views are the only ones that should be accepted.