Gransnet forums

Relationships

Chalk and cheese

(30 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 31-Dec-18 18:09:15

So, after a very busy lead up to Christmas we hosted our family and other visiting friends through the festivities right up until yesterday afternoon. Today I have been a vegetable; with not an ounce more left to give I parked myself in an armchair and, apart from walking the dog, just gave myself over to doing nothing all day. The Wonderful Man, on the other hand, has done an equal share of hosting and busyness, but his idea of relaxing is to get on his bike and cycle the Devon coast to coast route - a mere 102 miles up hill and down dale.

I love the bones of the man and he me, but we really are chalk and cheese in so many ways. He loves adventures, watersports and cycling, I like a good book, family history research and the theatre; he's terribly untidy, I like things neat; he drinks strong black coffee, I have a latte; he's tall, fit and handsome, I'm short, fat and right now I'm fit for nothing. grin

It's very fortunate that we share all the important things, but some days the contrasts between us are quite stark. What about you? Do/did you mostly share similar interests and hobbies, or are/were you too chalk and cheese?

grannyactivist Tue 01-Jan-19 00:53:19

I do wonder sometimes about dating apps and how good they are at 'matching' people according to their interests. I would never in a month of Sundays have chosen The Wonderful Man as a date if all I had to go on were his interests etc. And yet, here we are, still together after thirty odd years of each doing life in our own different ways. smile

Izabella Tue 01-Jan-19 16:09:06

Dontaskme - screwfix catalogues. Made me laugh out loud.

KatyK Tue 01-Jan-19 16:10:36

We have been married 50 years this year. We like doing the same things but our outlook on life is very different. I am anxious, unadventurous and pessimistic. He is confident, happy and optimistic.

GabriellaG54 Sat 05-Jan-19 06:05:06

grannyactivist
You sound a perfect match and will never get tired of each other. That's why opposites attract wink
You both have different hobbies and interests which keep the relationship fresh yet enough in common to work together harmoniously and overlook each other's small irritations.
All good ??