Gransnet forums

Relationships

Here we go again.

(54 Posts)
Bopeep14 Tue 01-Jan-19 02:02:25

As some of you know my eldest son and family have gone non contact. He originally stopped speaking to the whole family, but about a month in he started speaking to his younger brother and they have been visiting each other.
I have no problem with this, but just lately my son has become distant towards me has said a few nasty things to me, his wife who I thought I had a good relationship with blatantly ignores me even when I try to talk to her.
It sort of came to a head for me tonight, we went to my daughters for a New Year’s Eve party, my son and his wife and there child were already there, I said hello to her she ignored me never said a word to me had a face like there was a bad smell in the room, until other guest arrived and then she was laughing and chatting with these people.
The only time she spoke to me all evening was to make sure I could still have the child this week while she was at work.
Would you ask what was wrong or would you just leave it and hope it blows over.
The way I feel at the moment is I am ok to save her childminder fees but not ok to talk too.

Bopeep14 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:57:01

CrazyH no i didnt have my grandchild over the last school holidays, obviously they found someone else. Luckily i have a very good relationship with my daughter which hopefully will never change but then again i always thought i had a good relationship with my sons and there wives too just goes to show i was completely wrong. My eldest sons two children are too young to miss us but my other sons child is nearly 7 i wonder what they are saying about us, why we have disappeared out of there lives.
Eazybee we had a letter from my eldest sons wife telling us to no longer send cards or gifts to any of there family, so can’t even do that now.

breeze Fri 22-Mar-19 11:18:30

It's ridiculous that you've been cut out without any explanation. How can you defend yourself if they won't tell you why. If they won't speak to you, you could either write a letter and say you are completely baffled as to why they're annoyed with you and could they at least let you know. It could be that during the disagreement with the other couple, they said something like 'Even your mother agrees with us' or something untrue.

If that doesn't work, ask your daughter if she knows or could find out why. Explain to her that you're broken hearted but unless you know why you can't mend the relationship or even accept it's over. Something's been said you're not aware of.

You sound like a family who don't communicate as I'm pretty sure I would know straight away why if one or two of my three sons stopped talking to me. But they know I'd march round there and have it out with them.

If you know in your heart of hearts you've done nothing whatsoever wrong, then you have to find out.

In the meantime flowers for you. You must be feeling dreadful.

Bopeep14 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:42:31

Breeze the funny thing is we were a very close family before all this we had games nights once a month all the family came including grandchildren, our children popped in when they were passing just to say hello, my daughter has no idea why this is happening as she has been excommunicated as well as we we all have including there grandma. When we received the letter telling us to stop sending cards and gifts i sent my son a message asking him if he was 100% behind his wife on this, if so i wanted him to tell me himself or write me a letter in his own handwriting he read the message but still nothing from him. I really wish he would tell me himself then i can get on with my life knowing he no longer wants me or any of the family in his life. He is just being so cruel i never thought he was like this. Hand on heart non of us have done or said anything to deserve this treatment. I have one thing left i could try writing to him at work, because i am not sure its actually him thats getting my texts i know it sounds silly but maybe his wife is controlling him some how.