Gransnet forums

Relationships

The Duchess of Sussex and her father

(269 Posts)
DillytheGardener Sun 10-Feb-19 16:01:50

Read the latest in sad state of affairs between Meghan and her father today with sadness.

Her letter seemed so reasonable and made good points, her father has behaved in such an abominable way towards his daughter. Rather than pulling his head in after the stupid staged shots he was paid for, apologised and kept quiet till it all blew over he's dug his heels in and embarrassed her time and time again.

I'm not surprised her friends came out in support, even if she did direct it. Has the press no memory of how poor Diana and Fergie were berated and bullied? The idiot rags like the Daily Mail and the Sun are really going for it to make their money. I feel so sorry for her and hope it doesn't affect her pregnancy with all the stress.

I don't understand why the public seem to want her to reconcile with him. He obviously can't be trusted and she's wise to stay well clear, that side of the family is unhinged. Half brother with a DUI and domestic abuse, the other sister seems disturbed, her own daughter cut her off for goodness sakes and by the looks of it for good reason.

Harry was always my favourite, he's a bit older than my two children, but I always felt for him after Diana died. He was such a little mite behind the coffin.

Jomarie Sun 10-Feb-19 23:00:27

It is so hard to be dignified and to turn the other cheek when one is being lambasted no matter who you are and what position you hold in society - lowly or high - but this is what she must do to establish and maintain some integrity, Someone needs to get this through to both of them. Maybe Camilla could step in here???

Eloethan Sun 10-Feb-19 23:06:23

Jomarie Are you being serious or was that a joke?

Jomarie Sun 10-Feb-19 23:14:01

Not a joke as such, merely an aside - After all who listens to the advice from anyone over 50?

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 08:16:06

Camilla has never sought the cameras, never talked to the press, same with Anne and Kate .

H1954 Mon 11-Feb-19 08:26:26

Personally, the ONLY thing I believe printed on a tabloid is the date and the price!

The press wouldn't think twice if it was an ordinary family having such a troubled relationship, and it happens, you only have to read some GN posts!

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Feb-19 08:27:22

It always amazes me how people believe the press - astonishes me in fact.
We only "know" these people through the eyes of some miserable hack reporter - and yet we feel we "know" Diana and Fergie and every other dubious celebrity and why they did what they did etc. Of course we don't.

Just stop buying the papers, that's the only answer.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 08:27:35

find it confusing why any member of the public, who does not know someone personally, feels they can pontificate on the personal relationships of that person. You don't know!!

Exactly PECS

All this ‘interest’ is pure schadenfreude

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 08:29:06

There have been TV interviews with Charles, Camilla, William & Kate. TV is a press medium.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 08:40:12

Big difference in a tv interview such as paying tribute to a family member as was done last year for the 70th birthday of Charles or a tribute to the queen to Diana’s panorama performance or her book . They all give tv interviews when they get engaged even Anne did.

Eloethan Mon 11-Feb-19 08:46:35

Camilla - integrity - "honesty, uprightness, probity, rectitude, honour,morality, virtue, decency, sincerity, truthfulness, trustworthiness" - really?

muffinthemoo Mon 11-Feb-19 08:47:57

If HRH Meghan thinks she can recruit the British tabloid press to be her ally, she needs her thinking examined. She may as well try to ride a scorpion.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 08:50:44

Well I’ll leave such speculation to ‘them as reads’ these dubious publications because to be honest I knew nothing at all about this subject until I read this thread on GN.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 08:57:13

Really Eleothan ?

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 09:00:46

I have not been aware of this story other than on here. Did D of S release her letter or has a private letter been released by the recipient & as,a,result her pals have rallied to support? The Royal PR machine usually tries to minimise fall- out.
Cannot be a good time for her, as a women approaching the end of her first pregnancy, to have added worry.
She won't be the first or last to have family stress to cope with.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 09:05:19

PECS the friends interviews with the press came first , an attack on her father, who has been, thankfully , quiet recently, , he retaliated.

eazybee Mon 11-Feb-19 09:10:28

Unpleasant.
I think pregnant women should be off limits for all this unpleasant criticism and backstairs tittle-tattle so avidly relayed by certain posters on here.
Most people on here have undergone pregnancy and childbirth, and many have daughters in the same position.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 09:16:15

I do know priests who have been asked for help after people have used these boards.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 09:16:55

Sorry wrong thread iPad jumped

Craftycat Mon 11-Feb-19 10:34:51

All this nonsense makes me very glad that I gave up buying papers years ago & rely on Radio 4 for my news- I very occasionally see TV news but I shall never buy another newspaper (except occasionally the Rugby paper which has no politics or gossip but lots of pictures of hunky rugby lads!)

knspol Mon 11-Feb-19 10:41:33

None of our business and don't really care except for the fact that it probably cast a big shadow over her wedding day. Nobody knows what's really going on apart from Meghan and her dad and why should they?

Benji3742 Mon 11-Feb-19 11:01:06

Oh dear! Oh dear, this is what I call 'family sins' we all have.

MaggieMay69 Mon 11-Feb-19 11:03:34

To be honest, they all bore me to death. People say the Royals bring in more money to our Country, its really not so.
They are a parasitic bunch, Of course I felt for the boys when they lost their mother, as I would anyone else, but at the end of the day there are far more worth people about who actually do bring in money to this country, instead of having whatever they might bring in, spent on their comforts, safety and well being.
Waste of time n space, all of them.

tallulahbelle Mon 11-Feb-19 11:29:20

I totally agree. It's really no ones business, everyone knew of the estrangement and knew her history before the wedding , so why keep dragging it up?!

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 11:33:59

It’s boring so I mostly skip any articles about the RF. They wouldn’t be interested in my life either!

Bijou Mon 11-Feb-19 11:37:15

I am not interested in the royal family and celebrities. The press hype up all these stories to get ignorant people to read their rags. Even though in my youth I worked on the Daily Express I never buy or read newspapers.