Gransnet forums

Relationships

What relationship advice would you give your daughter?

(82 Posts)
highandfighty Tue 12-Feb-19 13:50:47

Should she ask for it of course! My daughter's friends have organised a hen party and one bit of it involve a tea party and we all need to read out some advice we would give her for a long and happy marriage. Mine would be 'laugh a lot' but also less romantically, 'keep a separate rainy/runaway fund'. What advice would you give?

paddyann Wed 13-Feb-19 00:20:29

another of my parents gems was dont marry someone because you think you could live with him ,marry someone who you know you cant live without .

BradfordLass72 Wed 13-Feb-19 02:58:56

Don't let little niggles turn into big resentments - communicate and compromise before problems snowball.

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 06:18:16

Don't give up your own friends. Keep a separate life. Look after yourself first.

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 06:25:37

I like Khalil Gibran's poem On Marriage. Good advice.

Oldandverygrey Wed 13-Feb-19 07:02:37

Never go to bed on an argument. Loved your comment Minimoon - how true!

M0nica Wed 13-Feb-19 08:14:04

None, actually. DD decided very young that neither marriage nor motherhood were for her and anyway, it would be a very brave person who gave DD advice about anything.

luluaugust Wed 13-Feb-19 09:42:53

Keep talking, lots of kindness and keep a small fund of your own. I do agree about not telling friends too much, you can be sure it will go at least one further.

littleflo Wed 13-Feb-19 09:49:27

If you always grit your teeth and bite your tongue you will starve to death. In other word say what is bothering you or making you unhappy.

grandMattie Wed 13-Feb-19 09:56:46

Me too Minimoon... and paddyann. How true!
Give in to the unimportant things, stand firm on the things that you feel strongly about.

CarlyD7 Wed 13-Feb-19 09:57:39

I've been with my husband 30+ years and I would share the following. Be kind to each other. Help each other be the best versions of themselves you can. Don't talk about your personal life to others (especially your sex life)! Only seek advice from those who can keep a secret and who have healthy relationships themselves. Have your own interests as well as interests together. Don't get into competition with your spouse (in any area). Be worthy of Trust & Loyalty. Be unselfish but don't be a doormat - make sure your needs are equally as important as his in the marriage. Work out how to talk through problems. make sure you have the same attitude to money - otherwise you will spend your time together resentful and angry. Think of yourselves as best friends and A Team - and work together towards joint goals. PS Before you get married, make sure you want the same things (i.e. don't do what a friend of mine did and not discuss having children, only to find out, on her honeymoon, that her husband didn't want them). Whew - I think I'll stop now!

knickas63 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:03:28

Laugh whenever possible, talk often, and never go to bed on an argument.
Also - do not expect to change each other!

optimist Wed 13-Feb-19 10:06:30

Earn your own money and stay in control of how it is spent. Never rely on another person, be self sufficient.
And I was happily married for 50 years and had three children.

Tinker18 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:10:58

Not marriage but life advice to my daughters was to make sure that you can support yourself and any children you may have, then you can never be trapped. Sorry not very romantic grin

okimherenow Wed 13-Feb-19 10:11:52

60 years for us in the summer and the only advice I’d give is ....
you either hang on ...or you don’t...

NannyC1 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:14:19

Keep the rolling pin for rolling pastry and the frying pan for frying eggs.

grove1234 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:18:01

always say thank show appriciation look after money .

PopMaster34 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:24:00

Run like hell

TwiceAsNice Wed 13-Feb-19 10:31:12

“ Remember your husband is always right even when he’s wrong” What dreadful advice. Mine is when it goes wrong get out quickly don’t stay hoping it will get better. Wish I’d listened to my own advice. Still am on my own now thank God and it’s wonderful

Scribbles Wed 13-Feb-19 10:34:03

Chewbacca, I love the recipe. smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:39:56

Least said, soonest mended. That doesn't mean be a doormat but if you must say something negative try to put it into a 'sandwich' if you will. Praise, mention the bad thing nicely, then a good thing.

Peardrop50 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:43:57

Don't put anything in your mouth that you haven't boiled first...…..

but seriously I agree with PaddyAnn and others, love, respect, humour, compromise, etc

Allegretto Wed 13-Feb-19 10:50:18

Treat your husband as you wish to be treated. Being kind, having fun, showing respect, being loving... all (usually) reflect back within a marriage, as they do within any relationship.

CaroleAnne Wed 13-Feb-19 10:54:46

I agree with all of the above.
I have been married for almost 50 years and would offer these thoughts.

Listen and show respect to each other.
Give each other their own space and make time for each other.

inishowen Wed 13-Feb-19 10:55:17

In 1973 when I got married, a friend advised me to put away £1 a week, and to keep it a secret. I didn't do it. Every pound counted at the time. Fortunately it wasn't needed, but I think everyone should have a bit of secret savings, just in case.

sarahanew Wed 13-Feb-19 10:57:11

That's good advice! When my daughter asks advice I give it reminding her I'm no expert after splitting with her dad and having several failed relationships since. She never takes my advice, maybe that's why she asks, so she can do the opposite! Whatever she does her relationship is going strong