Gransnet forums

Relationships

What relationship advice would you give your daughter?

(82 Posts)
highandfighty Tue 12-Feb-19 13:50:47

Should she ask for it of course! My daughter's friends have organised a hen party and one bit of it involve a tea party and we all need to read out some advice we would give her for a long and happy marriage. Mine would be 'laugh a lot' but also less romantically, 'keep a separate rainy/runaway fund'. What advice would you give?

HannahLoisLuke Wed 13-Feb-19 23:33:06

Also keep up with your friends. Never make your man your entire world. You'll be bored and boring!

cassandra264 Thu 14-Feb-19 08:56:48

HannahLoisLuke 100% correct. But littleflo is right, too. In my 25 year marriage I was too scared to communicate the things I wasn't happy about, so everything got worse, I became increasingly resentful, and eventually that was that.

However, in my subsequent 20 year relationship (still going strong) I am aware that some of the training I later received via the workplace has come in very handy in the home.

Buy her a book on assertiveness which has had good reviews!

HildaW Thu 14-Feb-19 14:11:58

Mind you can remember the episode in the Big Bang Theory when Amy and Sheldon drew up their Contract....seems to work well for them!

Poppyann1 Fri 15-Feb-19 00:01:58

NEVER 're heat pork.

AlexG Fri 15-Feb-19 09:47:58

You may love them but don't always like them. But when you dislike them more than like them, then it is time to call it a day. Simple but true and I've used this mantra on two occasions.

supermodels Fri 15-Feb-19 11:12:41

I would give her a advice to be careful before bonding and did never get pushed/forced into things that she don't like. Also, she need to be trust her judgement and support her choices.