Gransnet forums

Relationships

The games people play.

(33 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 11-Mar-19 19:34:35

I'm reading a couple of books about the psychology of relationships.
One concentrates on the psychological games people play, and why.
The author is saying that we pass on these games to our children ad infinitum, and choose partners who play the same game but maybe a different role.
The reason for the games is to get some emotional gratification otherwise denied to us.
Apparently very few of us DONT play some games regularly, and its very hard to break the cycle.

My question is does anyone on GN have knowledge of this subject matter?
I could do with a bit more understanding as this book is quite wordy!!

Bridgeit Mon 11-Mar-19 20:58:53

Psychology games is perhaps the wrong way to describe it.
As we grow up we all learn how to survive within our own unique family dynamics ie, blend in, be loved ,survive our place in the hierarchy etc , we also subconsciously adapt, react, reinact & or avoid certain behaviours.
No one can predict which way or how many ways we will use or avoid certain behaviours, that’s what makes us unique. Most of us if we are lucky ended up with what is termed ‘wobbly well ‘ personalities & qualities. But some backgrounds are so traumatic that a person will either replicate behaviours or suffer with mental & emotional health.

Bridgeit Mon 11-Mar-19 21:05:45

Hope this helps a bit, there are lots of books available best to look for the simpler ones to begin with. The study books can be good for learning about differing methods of behaviours & treatments etc , its a fascinating study, best wishes

Namsnanny Mon 11-Mar-19 21:22:23

Bridgeit..Thanks!!
The book is called Games People Play by Eric Berne psychiatrist.
Do you know any other books on the subject that might be helpful?
Regards.

agnurse Mon 11-Mar-19 21:23:36

It is very common for people who grow up with dysfunction in their families (e.g. abuse, substance use disorders, etc.) to choose partners and create families where the same dysfunction occurs. There are a few different hypotheses for why this is:

-it's what they know. It's familiar to them.
-it's how their brains develop. We are actually learning more and more that early experiences, especially early relational experiences with a parent or primary caregiver, have a substantial impact on brain development.

There are family assessment and intervention models that have been developed as a way to examine various relationships and relationship patterns within families. These can help therapists and other professionals to determine if there are specific "roles" family members play (and, especially in dysfunctional families, there absolutely are various "roles" that develop).

Bridgeit Mon 11-Mar-19 21:43:10

That is one I would have recommended.I think also it depends on how you like to obsorb information etc.
So I would say look for one that is about- person centred psychology - which focuses on the effects,causes & behaviours etc. Best wishes,

Namsnanny Mon 11-Mar-19 21:44:07

Agnurse...Thanks, any discussion or info is interesting to me. From what I have been reading though, we all covertly agree to participate in games (role playing?) of one sort or another, not just those in dysfunctional(?) families.

Thats whats so fascinating....we're all following the same behaviour its just the game thats different!

Do you have any favourite books on the subject that you could recommend?
Regards

FountainPen Mon 11-Mar-19 21:47:57

Thomas Harris's I'm OK, You're OK is on the same subject of transactional analysis.

The ego states of parent, adult, child are present in all transactions not just couples and family situations.

If you are finding the concepts tricky it's worth looking for web resources which provide examples of transactions in different settings.

This is just one random source found in a web search.

medium.com/@NataliMorad/how-to-communicate-better-with-transactional-analysis-d0d32f9d50da

Namsnanny Mon 11-Mar-19 22:03:44

FountainPen....smile Thanks a lot I'll do that!
Regards

Bridgeit Mon 11-Mar-19 22:07:07

The fascinating thing is that we are all influenced & affected by our own circumstances personalities etc. & to some extent we can pinpoint cause & affect but never entirely.

annodomini Mon 11-Mar-19 22:40:21

Namsnanny, 'Games People Play' was one of the books we used on a preliminary counselling course about 34 years ago, as was 'I'm OK, You're OK'. My life at the time was at a very difficult stage with my marriage breaking down and I found texts like these gave me useful insights into my relationship and enabled me to 'connect the dots' and acknowledge what had been going on for years.

rosecarmel Tue 12-Mar-19 03:20:23

I think wanting, anything at all in a particular way, is the root cause of game playing- The more difficult it is to be selfless and or flexible with ones desires, the easier it is to engage in playing games- Two people might share a desire for the same thing but each persistent about achieving it differently- Communication breaks down and endless energy is spent engaging in the game of persuasion-

RosieLeah Tue 12-Mar-19 06:49:23

This is one of the reasons I don't bother much with people any more. There is always some sort of power struggle going on.

loopyloo Tue 12-Mar-19 07:42:32

You can call it games or you could call it using emotional intelligence. By which I mean modifying your approach in order to avoid confrontation and move things forward amicably.
Like choosing the right time to tell someone something, not when they are tired and hungry etc.

cornergran Tue 12-Mar-19 08:12:56

If you’re interested in TA namsnanny but find the traditional text books hard going have a look at Counselling for Toads by Robert de Board. It’s written in Wind in the Willows style illustrating how this approach considers day to day interactions. Please bear in mind this is only one approach and in my view the term ‘games’ doesn’t necessarily imply conscious manipulation of other people but rather a basis to understand the roles we can all slip into when interacting with others. As loopy says we then have choice, do we continue along a well trodden path or make a change which will move an interaction on.

M0nica Tue 12-Mar-19 09:05:52

From the moment we are born we have to live with other people and are dependent on them and have to negotiate with them to stay alive.

Some of us get the hang of it quite quickly and negotiate quite successfully and others for all sorts of reasons don't.

I am very wary of clinging onto one book, one author one view. Psychologists, in particular, seem very prone to taking to one theory and seeing it as the answer to all of life's ill.

Read at least five or six books, preferably ones that disagree and contradict each other, before you reach any view.

Teetime Tue 12-Mar-19 09:25:38

I read Berne's book some years ago now and it did help to explain how and why some people behave as they do. I have read a great deal on the subject since and the subject of emotional intelligence featured largely in my work as a manager and a lecturer in management. I think its fascinating as indeed people are - often frustrating but ultimately fascinating.
I'm dealing with someone at the moment who has all the subtlety of a charging bull so I am trying to work out what my best response to him should be - being nice hasn't worked what he seeks is total compliance. As its golf club politics I think what I will do is behave as if he was a charging bull and jump over the fence- avoidance tactics I think.

stella1949 Tue 12-Mar-19 09:35:14

I read "The Games People Play" about 30 years ago. I do recall that it was helpful in working out why people do the things they do, and how relationships can evolve over time .

I do think it's helpful to read "self help" books, if only to get a few ideas of how to cope.

The best one I ever read was "My Mother, Myself" by Nancy Friday. I'd had a terrible relationship with my mother over the years, but reading that book made me realize that Mum was only playing the hand of cards that she'd been dealt ( having been an abused child) . I was able to forgive and to move on .

notentirelyallhere Tue 12-Mar-19 09:55:26

I read Games People Play and I'm OK, You're OK 30 or more years ago too. I found them very helpful introductory texts.

The field of psychology has expanded enormously since and now includes neuroscience and genetics as strands on which psychotherapies are based. It's probably worth reading a number of general introductory texts. Psychology for Dummies is in most libraries for instance. Also some U3A groups study psychology and the OU and further education courses are a good way of gently exploring with others.

There was a chap called Maslow (can be Googled) who came up with a list of fundamental human needs that we all strive for. Also a chap called Bowlby who looked at the relationship between mothers and children and how the quality of this set the scene for a contented and successful life, or not.

Here's the hierarchy of needs, you might see game playing as a way of getting those needs met. If you haven't had an accepting form of parenting which allows you to ask for what you need, then you might play games instead. People who are passive aggressive are unable to ask for what they want, for instance.

www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Living with other people is a fascinating business!!

Mamar2 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:30:25

Wow what intellectual Grandmas.... I applaud you.?????

allsortsofbags Tue 12-Mar-19 10:30:34

What to read depends what you are wanting to understand.

However, "Scripts people Live" Claude Steiner, "Born to Win" James and Jongway are some of the books that followed "Games People Play" and I got a better understanding from these books.

I would have a good look around the net before you get more books. That way you know if you they come close to giving you what you are looking for.

TA Tutor.Com has some good resources, there are so many good books out there. All mine are very much out of date and unless you are wanting to really get into studying read what helps you understand things.

Words of caution :-) no book or psychological model is ever likely to give us all the answers. People are, for the most part, just trying to get through life the best way they can.

We are just trying to get through life the best way we can and yes you can see "Games" being played, "The Drama Triangle" being gone round and the "Parent, Adult Child" in action, "Racket Systems" working and so on.

Learning can help make your life better and the lives around you better, understanding what you've learnt is one thing being able to use what you've learnt isn't always easy.

Good Luck and may you enjoy your reading.

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:50:40

Namsnanny try "Families and How to Survive Them" written as a conversation between John Cleese and Robyn Skynner - a very easy read, very informative but also very amusing. It helped me a lot back in the day.

Also try "I'm Ok You're OK" by Thomas Anthony Harris and 'Toxic Parents' by Susan Forward. It's not about blaming parents it's just about understanding yourself. Good luck. flowers

Molly10 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:53:19

Yes, it is a big and interesting subject. There have been some very good replies regarding Transactional Analysis.

I would say generally to observe situations to note the simple way in which this is working eg learned behaviour.

Eg if a child throws a tantrum and gets what he wants then he has learnt to control that situation. It is also bad parenting. If he is told otherwise and changes that behaviour to be more appropriate he will get what he wants and learn the best way to approach things going forward.

This continues throughout life in different situations with different people but it is initially learnt through the parent child model.

Enjoy your reading.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:56:56

Hmmm. When visiting one family in-law member, they used to always serve me food they knew perfectly well that I didn't eat and would watch to see if I left it or ate it. Either way, I was on a hiding to nothing.
Items would be left in peculiar places to see whether I moved them, or spills would be left and I'd be castigated for cleaning up (trying to humiliate their OH) or leaving it (being lazy)
This was someone who had, IMO, serious manipulation issues, it all washed over me. I don't care what people say to my face or behind my back. They're only words and I'm immune to confidence-sapping verbal attacks or silly mind-games.

Urmstongran Tue 12-Mar-19 11:17:43

I think we all role play. Just different roles within different groups!

I’m a bit of a pushover within my family. I don’t like confrontation (and the stronger members know that). Yet when I was at work I’d happily speak up. Probably because although I liked my colleagues, I didn’t ‘love’ them hence I was not as concerned about their approval.