Gransnet forums

Relationships

Outside, looking. In

(56 Posts)
Cosmos Sun 14-Apr-19 04:02:36

It's awful when you raise a family, to come to the conclusion you are not really a part of it any more. I think with generally, longer life expectation now, they outgrow you. I know lots close families however that actually enjoy each other's company.?

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 12:31:39

I agree FNHI We bring our children up to be independent so we should be proud when they are.
Get on with your life and enjoy it Cosmos .

omega1 Sun 14-Apr-19 12:38:21

Try going to church its not boring and all about religion its a way of getting to meet very friendly people who are involved in all sorts of activities which you can join it with and it won't cost you very much either. Its a safe way to broaden your horizons and help you to find an interesting new life without being too focused on your children. They will find you much more interesting too when you can talk about all the different things you are doing.

Sara65 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:11:30

This is sad, you’d have to be very hard hearted not to feel for you
I don’t think any family is perfect, although they may seem so. We are a fairly close family, love my four children, and adore all of my grandchildren, and we all see each other a lot. But there are tensions between them, and after many years of trying to be fair to everyone, my husband and I have decided to let them get on with it.
Everyone has their problems, just try and make the best of things

Irenelily Sun 14-Apr-19 13:33:14

My family of 4 are quite close - sometimes it ebbs and flows according to what is going on in each family! We keep in touch with What’s App - so simple and we even keep up with a grandson working in China. So easy these days with technology!

grannyrebel99 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:40:35

Get a WhatsApp group going. It's a great way to keep in touch and doesn't require much effort once it's set up.

Nonnatimesfour Sun 14-Apr-19 13:54:38

Cosmos, I know exactly where you're coming from, I think it is more common than we know.

Jane10 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:54:58

ReadyMeals what a shame about your son! It must feel like you had to pay for his time and attention.

Smurf44 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:57:20

Cosmos - I know exactly what you mean. I spent 21 years looking after my two before the second one left home and I felt lost. A couple of years later my daughter came home pregnant. To cut a long story short, I took on the full time care of my baby GD and my daughter soon moved out but stayed local so we could all see each other regularly for the next 12 years. Three years ago my DD moved 700 miles away (to Shetland). Now, after living with me full time for 15 years, my DGD has decided to abandon her GCSE courses, friends etc and has moved to live with her mum, so seeing either of them is going to be a rare treat. I admit the teenage years have not been easy, but I just feel totally lost without my DGD, who I obviously love dearly and I was gutted when she recently announced that she doesn’t like living with me anyway!
Now my son and family including my 5 year old DGS are in the throes of moving from a mere 60 miles away to the Netherlands, so suddenly none of my family will be within easy reach. I have no brothers or sisters so no extended family and I am beginning to feel very unwanted!
I have a long term friend who isn’t the least bit sympathetic (think he was a tiny bit jealous of DGD) towards me and can best be described as a grumpy old man. Life isn’t going to be much fun without my family, though I suppose we only see my DS and family a few times each year, but I had planned to spend more time with them now my GD has left, but that isn’t going to be possible now. I don’t travel well and don’t even have a passport atm.
I’m having yet another birthday this week and feel the future is a bit bleak to say the least. At least I’m spending my birthday and Easter weekend with my DGS, so that is something to be looked forward to.

123coco Sun 14-Apr-19 14:10:54

I wasn’t fortunate to be able to have children. Of course makes me very sad but sometimes I read the posts on here I realise things could be worse ,having a family that ignores you .

PamGeo Sun 14-Apr-19 14:18:20

It's defiantly a Sunday thing and any other 'holiday looming time' thing . Sorry for any of the gransnet feeling like this, I'm in the same position with my 2 AC and I've just accepted it as it is. The joys of independent capable adults from the little dependant demanding babies they once were I suppose. Happy Sunday ladies, make hay while you can

Sheilasue Sun 14-Apr-19 16:39:23

Not meaning to gloat. My dd lives around the corner from us, we don’t invade her privacy but we are very close. She texts every morning when she goes to work, and phones us every night to ask how our day went. We go shopping together once or twice month and have some catch up time. She is very close to her niece our gd, who lives with us and they go on holiday together once a year.

Gonegirl Sun 14-Apr-19 16:48:56

Harris27 flowers

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:05:47

Sheilasue I don't find your post very helpful. It just rubs in what the OP is missing!

luluaugust Sun 14-Apr-19 17:09:34

I do feel very lucky to have seen one small GD this week and therefore seen DS and DIL picking her up but this is the exception now. When I ask what they have been doing, the list of work plus extra activities leave me feeling exhausted. One of them is doing two jobs plus lots of running around with DGC. I certainly don't feel unloved but you do have to come to terms with seeing them less as the GC get bigger and the AC get more demanding jobs. flowers to everyone feeling Sundayish.

tinaf1 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:19:35

Sorry your feeling down Cosmos, agree with a lot of poster weekends & bank holidays do seem to hit it home when we feel like this. I try to think what I was like ie working and ferrying children to their various activities while also maintaining the home, but it doesn’t make it easier.
? For you

Have to agree with dragonfly 46 Sheilasue your post doesn’t help Cosmos or anyone else who feels like this.

Sara65 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:24:12

My grandchildren range between 20 and a new baby, with five in between. I seldom see my eldest granddaughter, I send her an occasional text, and she replies, but I have absolutely no complaints, I wouldn’t expect anything else, we live 100 miles apart, and when we do catch up, it’s lovely. She knows we love her, and are always here if she needs us, but that’s life, it’s good that she’s independent

tiredoldwoman Sun 14-Apr-19 19:07:18

I wanted to go to a local Farmers Market today and asked my daughter is she would like to come , she just said no, she was busy . This came as no surprise , I don't know why I asked . I went myself and it was great , came home with a treat for myself then a new friend texted asking me out on a date . Usually I would have recoiled in fear but I said yes .
So FNHI , I'm going to be a yes girl instead of waiting at home hoping that the family will want my company !
Do I tell them about my date ? I think not , they might not approve as old mum is not where they expect her to be ?

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Apr-19 20:26:48

tiredoldwoman good for you - you go for it!
I always find that it is when I am out and about without telling anyone my AC choose that time to phone and are astonished I am not at home where I should!

sharon103 Sun 14-Apr-19 22:28:18

Good for you tiredoldwoman. smile I would tell them, it might get them thinking and yes I agree, they always think we should be tied to the house. I know with mine especially my daughter that if she phones when I'm not in, I get' where have you been?'

Dolcelatte Mon 15-Apr-19 04:30:54

tiredoldwoman - go for it and let your family know! It doesn't do to be too dependent on our AC. And please change your user name to something more positive to mark this change in approach.

tiredoldwoman Mon 15-Apr-19 05:31:22

Dragonfly and Sharon - yes, perhaps I should tell them . About 2 years ago I went Christmas shopping , taking the bus instead of the car. One daughter whom I hadn't seen for weeks popped in and of course , no Mother . Hysteria broke out involving the other daughter and my immediate neighbour - but it was clearly marked on my calendar !
Dolcelatte - I might have to change it to evenmoretiredoldwoman !

nannypiano Mon 15-Apr-19 09:40:35

I brought my two sons up to be independent from an early age, realising that children don't belong to you, only on loan. If they go confidently out into the big wide world, make a good life for themselves and their families, then my job has been well done. I have always impressed on them that I never want them to visit or call, because they feel a duty to. I want to see them when they are happy to see me. So no obligation to them. Luckily I do see quite a lot of them and I'm sure it's because I never put pressure on them to visit. I can then not feel guilty and know they are there because they want to be. It makes a lot of difference to a good relationship to discuss it so everyone knows expectations.

ReadyMeals Mon 15-Apr-19 10:42:17

I don't think there is anything wrong with ACs looking out for their parents out of a sense of duty. After all, how many of us never got up several times in the night to see to a crying kid out of a sense of duty when inside we were wishing the heck they'd let us sleep? If we all only did things and saw people because we felt like it society would fall apart.

glammanana Tue 16-Apr-19 12:16:26

I would hate the fact that mine looked out for me as a sense of duty,they keep in touch on a regular basis because of our close family ties and love shown on both sides.
My ACs call in as and when they want to and I understand there are times they are busy with their families/jobs etc and I would hate to think any of those suffered because they felt a sense of duty.

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-19 13:30:35

I spent my whole childhood feeling as if I was on the outside looking in despite loving parents and a large close family. I came to the conclusion that the problem lay with me and not them and I have never had reason to change my mind.

Since marrying someone on the same wave length as me, and having children who are also on the same wave length as well. I have never had that feeling. DC do not live close (100 & 200 miles away respectively) but we are in contact one way or another almost every day. We have just returned from 4 days with one, about to spend four days with another but I was still was on the phone to DD for nearly 2 hours last night sorting our the housing development plan for her town.

We are an opinionated talkative bunch.