Gransnet forums

Relationships

Outside, looking. In

(56 Posts)
Cosmos Sun 14-Apr-19 04:02:36

It's awful when you raise a family, to come to the conclusion you are not really a part of it any more. I think with generally, longer life expectation now, they outgrow you. I know lots close families however that actually enjoy each other's company.?

Namsnanny Tue 16-Apr-19 14:09:02

Cosmos flowers
Harris flowers

Just like to add independence and finding time to spend with someone arnt mutually exclusive!!

Too busy is an excuse not a reason!

Reader56 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:51:55

For me it’s the feeling of being redundant, no longer needed, that I find most hard to accept, although of course I know it’s perfectly natural that they all have their own lives, partners, children etc and that’s exactly how it should be. Indeed I’ve been warning my husband for the past few years that the time will come when they don’t want to come over for mum’s roast dinner and family get-together every Sunday because they have other things to do. But now it has happened I am shocked by how bereft I feel, it’s as bad as when my eldest daughter emigrated to the States. Almost feels like a bereavement- but then I talk to friends who really do have something to complain about, have had devastating things happen to them, and realise how incredibly lucky I really am. As so many others have said, you just have to find other things to enjoy and make new friends to enjoy them with! Hey ho, onward and upward....

Starlady Tue 16-Apr-19 16:01:52

So sorry to hear about those dss and dds who only contact their parents when they need/want something. I see mine on holidays, do some babysitting, but mostly manage to keep in touch through fb. Have any of you tried that? Idk if I'd have as much contact otherwise.

ReadyMeals Tue 16-Apr-19 17:30:37

social media etc won't work with my son, as he rarely replies. I am pretty sure it's an actual deliberate policy of his rather than just being short of time.

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-19 19:42:31

When we visit DS and family 200 miles away we stay with the 'other ' grandma. Chatting this weekend, she was commenting she sees less of our grandchildren than she did before they went to secondary school. But she just takes that as normal. She has a busy life, a boyfriend, and her car is now all her own. She gets rung at least once a day by one of the family, and just assumes that it normal.

A parent's job is to bring their children up to be independent and stand on their own feet. I have found the more I keep a proper distance from my children, the more I see and communicate with them.