Gransnet forums

Relationships

Anyone else's husband turned into a Grumpy old man?

(82 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 06:33:31

I've always felt a bit sorry for old men, at least the ones of my generation, most of whom were brought up with wives who did everything for them.

Now they're at home with no real place in the community (yes, I know there are exceptions) still dependent on women for everything, even sex if they're lucky, but without the sexual attraction of their own which once meant so much to them.
How debilitating that must be. They probably see themselves as elderly babies.

Women, on the other hand, can always find something to do and pack as much extra into life with all manner of crafts, clubs and interests.

So added to the the helplessness, the blokes are full of envy that the person they live with is still a working, interested cog in life.
No wonder they're grumpy, unmotivated and just waiting to fall off the twig.

Joyfulnanna I can just see some of these ladies trying to get their grumpy old men to exercise - it might take a horsewhip, or better yet, a strong laxative.
grin

Sara65 Fri 19-Apr-19 06:32:36

To be honest, he has his moments, but he’s generally cheerful, it’s my 40 year old son whose turning into Victor Meldrew

Willow500 Fri 19-Apr-19 05:59:43

Mine has been a self-confessed Victor Meldrew for years - he can complain about anything and never truly seems happy!

Joyfulnanna Fri 19-Apr-19 02:18:34

It's called low level depression. Can't enjoy themselves because they have lost the zest for life. Get him to exercise a bit, get those endorphins moving. He needs some fun in his life

Evie64 Thu 18-Apr-19 22:57:36

Hi Absent, so sorry to hear that, but you know what love? I'm in the same boat, and we ain't alone. Grin and bear it eh? We've been together 46 years, I really don't think I can be arsed to even think about moving on.........

absent Mon 15-Apr-19 05:52:28

I have one of those and wonder if it connects to a mild stroke he had a while ago. He has changed dramatically – and for the worse – since then and a recent diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis has made things worse. I can't be bothered to "cheer him up" because it wouldn't work; I just try to avoid being in the same room unless I have to. Some marriage!

Evie64 Mon 15-Apr-19 00:52:26

I can't believe how grumpy and discontented my husband has become over the last few years, and he's getting worse! What a miserable bloke he has become, and no amount of efforts to cheer him up or distract him seems to work, and don't mention Brexit! Ear hole bashing for at least two hours!