Gransnet forums

Relationships

What would you do?

(30 Posts)
FifiLaTout Wed 19-Jun-19 07:15:52

Been with partner for a few years, we live together in my flat. The last 6 weeks or so, instead of going to work ( carpet fitter so mobile) he has been doing a few jobs, then he goes back to his old area when he was married and spends time there. This is in the same road as his ex lives. I know this because I can see where he goes on his map app on his PC - he does not know I look. I actually have no problem with him going back there, as it could be an old friend he sees, he doesn't even park outside his old house,but he swears he never goes back and has no friends, let alone any round there.
Now this is written down I can see this is madness! How on earth do I approach him and basically tell him I have been spying on him?? I don't even want him around because he has been lying to me about where he has been. But how do I tell him I know where he has been and that he is lying every day?
Be gentle with me. I know I should be stronger.

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jun-19 08:20:40

Just have it out with him and tell him that you decided to track him and have found him out in a lie.
If there's no trust in a relationship then it's no use carrying on with it.

He's obviously not going to park right outside his ex's house is he ?? Just the fact that his car's in that area should be enough.

Bordersgirl57 Wed 19-Jun-19 08:33:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BradfordLass72 Wed 19-Jun-19 09:24:07

What would I do? Well, if I valued our partnership, I'd sit down with him quietly and ask him if his ex is having some problems. Is he trying to help her out in some way?

I'd make sure he knows I love him and I'm willing to help if there are issues he's bothered about.

he swears he never goes back and has no friends, let alone any round there
So he already knows you are aware he goes to the old area, isn't he?

You are not being honest with yourself, you ARE bothered by it and I'd guess his secrecy is because he know you'll react badly.
You both need to start being honest with one another, if you want this partnership to continue because there's no future for you if one is spying and the other lying.

luluaugust Wed 19-Jun-19 09:37:34

This is going to eat away at you so I don't think you have any choice but to find some way to talk to him about these visits. Have you caught him out lying about other things, if there is a lot more going on here you really need to sort it out for your own peace of mind.

gt66 Wed 19-Jun-19 12:04:39

Was there something that made you check up on him? I do believe in gut instinct and if he's up to something behind your back, then I think it's ok to check, for your peace of mind. I checked up on my OH when I saw the signs, otherwise it would've driven me crazy, because he kept denying anything was wrong, saying I was suspicious and paranoid, but I just knew by his behaviour something wasn't right.

chelseababy Wed 19-Jun-19 13:13:50

I think I would need to know for sure. You have asked him and he's denied it. Do you drive? Could you go to the area and see which house he goes to?

Daisymae Wed 19-Jun-19 15:15:51

Well I guess there's only one thing to do. Ask him, if he continues to lie then confront him with what you know. It is quite likely, from what you have posted, that he is getting his feet back under the table with his ex. I think I would probably end it, which would be plan B, sounds like you are on the point of doing that anyway. But you have to weigh up the pros and cons of what you want to do, and what outcome you would like. Good luck.

Yorksherlass Wed 19-Jun-19 15:23:19

You obviously don’t trust him or you wouldn’t be spying on him via the app, why did you do this. Be strong and stay sane, just tackle it head on or it will eat away at you

FifiLaTout Wed 19-Jun-19 18:24:33

Thank you all for your answers. Yes gt66 there was a gut feeling when I asked him to drop me at a friends house so she could take me to work. He was quite happy to drop me at 6:30 am, then last minute he said he couldn't and had to drop me at 6:10 am. A couple of months ago he would not have let me wait on my own. I challenged him but nothing....

Back story with ex. He still has money issues with his part of the house, so solicitors are involved. He is pretty angry with her (so he says) but this too has been going on for 3 bloody years!!!! He won't move it on, he just dithers.

One evening when I knew he had been there, I said, "You smell of fags, and she smokes. So have you been there?" Even then, deny deny deny. He never explains - he just says nothing, or lots of houses I go into someone smokes. Not true. I only have smelt it that once.

I actually am past caring if he goes there as long as he is honest... sometimes it is just for 30 mins!!

He could be visiting the same neighbour, its possible, but then just tell me!!! I don't care! I actually trust him! That's the stupid thing!

Also there is the problem of where is he going to live? I would basically be chucking him out. Oh God its such a mess

FarNorth Wed 19-Jun-19 18:35:22

If you're chucking him out, it's not your problem where he lives.
If you're thinking of chucking him out, you don't really want the relationship.
How can you say you trust him when you know he's telling lies?

FifiLaTout Wed 19-Jun-19 18:41:38

I'm not sure I want to prove to him how I know by showing him his Google maps time line. I cannot resist looking.

I can see all his activity - messages - maps et. IE when I go and clean my teeth before bed he often sends a message. Who the hell to? It could be his mum, so why not just say!!

FarNorth Wed 19-Jun-19 18:48:53

Would you expect him to mention messaging his mum?

BlueBelle Wed 19-Jun-19 18:57:52

Let’s put this on the table
He’s being VERY VERY shifty and not just on an odd occasion you say he just does a few jobs then spends the rest of the time in his old road
You don’t trust him ( nor would I)
If you ask him outright he ll lie or be evasive (he has so far everything you ve asked him)
Chances are your gut feeling is right
I think I’d be like chelseababy and check out where he goes personally if you are able. You re driving yourself mad you need to know then get on with your life and he can go back to his ex or his new ‘friend’

FifiLaTout Wed 19-Jun-19 19:22:35

FarNorth No, but why do it when I'm out of the room. Everything is just so secretive. I don't get it.

FifiLaTout Wed 19-Jun-19 19:26:32

And I know this won't make me popular, but we have an absolutely super holiday coming up. I have a Very Stressful Job and need this break. No, I would not go alone. No, I would not take anyone else.
We will go on the break and I will have to deal with this afterwards.

sharon103 Wed 19-Jun-19 19:58:07

I would tell him he's been seen round there a few times. (lie) see what he says and when he asks who, just say you're not telling but it's someone you trust and both know. Beat him at his own game.

52bright Wed 19-Jun-19 20:11:44

I think that if the holiday is very soon you should still go on it and think about yours ...and his ...options. No need to discuss the problem on holiday if you don't want to as this would inevitably spoil it. You say he texts someone while you are cleaning your teeth before bed. I would be very curious about that. You say it could be his mother ...and of course it could be ...but if this is late at night I would wonder about that. If he continues doing this while you are on a lovely holiday I would wonder even more what he was finding so important to text at that time. My very best wishes. I think it is natural to wonder about a return to this area and lying about it. I hope your suspicions prove to be unfounded.

quizqueen Wed 19-Jun-19 20:27:15

When you track him in that area, I would drive over there and park behind his car and confront him when he comes out from wherever he is visiting. If he has to be chucked out, it is not your problem where he goes.

Or you continue to live with the fact that he may be cheating. Whatever he is doing or not doing, there is some element of lying involved and that would be enough to end it for me.

Avor2 Wed 19-Jun-19 20:34:12

Have your holiday and then get rid and move on.

Tedber Sat 22-Jun-19 18:18:03

FifiLaTout Unlike others I would not go and stalk your partner. You obviously do not trust him and that is no basis for any relationship t.b.h.

IF your suspicions are correct, I would not even think about going away with him. I wouldn't be so desperate for a holiday to go away suspecting my partner was being dishonest...but ...up to you.

I also wouldn't even admit I had been spying on him! (again, not a great relationship if you feel you HAVE to spy)

I would just sit him down and tell him what you feel and that you don't feel happy and if he wants to move on then just say so!

IF he says o.k. will do then are you any worse off? If he disputes it and says he really wants to be with you then tell him you want him to be more open in future.

What I certainly would never advise you to do is keep checking and following him about! Keep your dignity.

Coolgran65 Sat 22-Jun-19 22:20:56

Yes I know that it would be best to be the better person and not be sneaky. But still think I’d want to know for sure. If I knew his car was somewhere suspicious reckon I’d go to where car was and take it from there. Poss even with a close friend in her unrecognisable car. See where he comes from back to his car.

I know .... trust and all that. But it could (just poss) be op’s paranoia. I’d check before saying anything. Would also hope to get a look at his phone. Perhaps when he goes for shower.

I’m prepared to be slated for saying this.

Starlady Sun 23-Jun-19 03:55:50

Hugs, Fifi! What an upsetting situation! I agree w/ those who say to make sure first, then dump him.

Ginny42 Sun 23-Jun-19 06:38:45

Fifi I've been where you are now, but I'm still nervous of saying what I think you should do, because only you know what you can accept. Reading about the suspicion and the text messaging brings it back. I think you won't enjoy the holiday feeling that he may be contacting someone behind your back, so you need to tackle this.

Living with the suspicion is destructive and it eats away at your self-esteem, but don't fall into the trap of accepting being second best to anyone. Get the ducks in a row. Ask again. Decide whether you believe him, if not tell him so and then ask him to leave. Don't worry about where he'll live, he's doing this and he must face the consequences. IF he's chosen someone else he's made his choice, then it's your turn to choose. Please choose yourself and being free from this man, then get some counselling to restore your wellbeing.

It takes courage and it hurts, but you are worth more than living like this. Hugs! Be brave. x

Starlady Sun 23-Jun-19 10:27:29

Ginny, spot on!