Gransnet forums

Relationships

Silent Treatment

(58 Posts)
TenaciousB Wed 07-Aug-19 20:35:08

Getting ‘the silent treatment’ yet again from my husband (he is 61 ?). After 39 years of marriage I am used to his childish, sulky behaviour whenever we have words but this time I think I have really had enough. Does anyone else have to put up with this immaturity? Just wanting listening ears really and a bit of moral support as I have no-one else who I can confide in. Thanks.

Philippa60 Sun 03-Nov-19 09:24:23

This is one of my biggest problems with my H too. I simply hate it when he gives me the silent treatment. When I challenge him he says things like "What do you want me to say?" - as if that is even relevant! I'm not going to put words into his mouth, I just want to have an adult conversation with him and not have him withdraw whenever he can't be bothered or can't deal with the topic.
I really find it so frustrating.
Don't have any real advice but just wanted to share that you are not alone and I feel your pain.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Dec-19 22:23:35

He’s acting like a spoilt child I know you must be sick of it, I do feel for you, I’d say something like See ya don’t want be ya, and off I’d go. I wouldn’t let him see that I was upset about it,if you show that it’s getting you down he will know his pathetic behaviour is affecting you, I certainly would leave him to his own devices, really pathetic behaviour from a grown man , that you have soent many years with

Classic Mon 02-Dec-19 18:54:45

My husband silks, hes also a controlling person and I feel the sulking is part of trying to control me. It's difficult but now I have learnt to ignore it, I just carry on as normal, if he doesn't answer me I just say, "I will take that as a yes then" and cook whatever I feel like, or go off out on my own, or sit and phone someone for a chat while he sits and seethe.

Starlady Tue 03-Dec-19 02:53:28

Tenacious, I'm so sorry DH is acting this way. I hope it blows over quickly and that you find other things to do in the meantime, as others have suggested. Hugs!

Travelsafar - LOL! Sorry about your dad, but your mum sounds delightful!

Scentia Tue 03-Dec-19 06:52:47

If faced with this type of passive aggressive behaviour I have learned in our 30 year marriage to be extra nice and pleasant to my sulking DH. He is not an idiot, he has now learned that his sulking does not affect me at all and has grown out of it at the age of 57?. I would carry on as normal if I were you, have a conversation with yourself. As a talker, I have never understood the silence after an upset, I like to put it all to one side and carry on as if it never happened, however it wouldn’t do for us all to be the same now would it.

Cacklingmags Mon 30-Dec-19 16:38:17

Put some loud music on, preferably something he does not like and completely ignore him.

jeanie99 Wed 01-Jan-20 23:27:31

TB what a miserable situation to be in. The feeling of knowing it is all going to happen again and again is awful.
There are very few marriages where there are no disagreement we are all individuals with our own opinions, likes, dislikes.
In my marriage we tend to let things go and get on with the day.
What would I do in your situation,
get ready and go out for the day, if it continued when I got back the following day I'd take myself off for a few days somewhere interesting budget permitting.
I would begin making a life for myself outside of the marriage but carry on as normal at home.
Life can be short and we have to make every day count.
Best of luck and a Happy New Year