Gransnet forums

Relationships

Marriage

(162 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 08-Dec-19 16:35:45

If you were to have your time over again, how many of us would marry your same husband/Wife Warts n All, and for the record I certainly would

Lyndylou Wed 18-Dec-19 21:27:14

Definitely NO to the first husband. I know he loved me but he loved the image he had of me. He knew and said he loved the career loving feminist side of me but he really needed a replacement mother. Someone who would put his job first and ensure the house was clean and the kids were looked after. I did my best, gave up many different jobs to follow him around RAF postings and accepted being told that our children were completely my responsibility,. He didn't do "child care or house work". Then after 25 years, like patricia, one of our "friends" stole him away and I found myself very relieved.

I have been with my present partner for 15 years and I wish I had met him earlier and we could have had more time together. Our paths could have crossed so many times before we actually met, it was uncanny. I was quite happy living alone before I met him and he drives me mad sometimes, but I can't imagine being without him now.

bikergran Thu 19-Dec-19 08:49:23

Yes .......... you don't know what you have had until their gone.

20 yrs difference between myself and late Dh but would do it all again "if only we had the chance"

DanniRae Thu 19-Dec-19 10:25:28

I knew I didn't love my husband when we married - but I accepted because I was lonely and felt I would never meet anyone else. We have three wonderful children and a grandson now and I feel I would rock their world if I left but I have someone else in the background and he has been there for nearly 30 years. We are just friends - he is single - but just lately things have changed and become a bit flirty (from me) and I wonder what is in the future?? Would I leave my husband if the other man asked me to? I don't know but it would be so amazing to be in the arms of someone that I really felt something for. Whose happiness is more important mine or my children?? My answer to this changes day by day...

HettyMaud Fri 20-Dec-19 15:34:28

Oh my goodness DanniRae. If the other man is also married I'd leave it where it is and enjoy it. Otherwise there will be huge repercussions. But can see where you're coming from.

lavenderzen Fri 20-Dec-19 15:46:58

Absolutely not.

harrigran Fri 20-Dec-19 16:46:47

Yes I would, he was lovely when he was young and is even more caring and considerate now.

DanniRae Sat 21-Dec-19 09:27:05

HettyMaud - He is not married - and glad you can see where I am coming from. Thank You! smile

tressa Fri 27-Dec-19 17:01:43

definitely no

Murky Wed 05-Feb-20 18:22:11

Not sure. We've been married six years and now that he's retired it's been h-ll. I feel like I'm being suffocated.

Billybob4491 Wed 05-Feb-20 18:28:33

I only fell in love with one man and I married him, 58 years down the line I do believe he was heaven sent.

kissngate Wed 05-Feb-20 22:16:08

No. Wish we had lived together first but it wasnt the done thing then. Two wonderful children and grandchildren which I wouldn't change. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is how our daughter described her dad years ago and he hasn't changed.