Gransnet forums

Relationships

How long did you know your husband/wife for before you were married?

(107 Posts)
SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 20:00:26

Leading on from another thread I’ve just posted on.

DH and I got engaged after six weeks and married just over a year later. His parents got engaged after a long weekend and then hardly saw each other between their engagement and the wedding because he was in the RAF. I have encouraged the DCs not to follow our lead - it was rather silly as you really don’t know the person, romantic though it was!

Can anyone beat my PIL?! Or DH and I?

jura2 Mon 06-Jan-20 20:06:29

Only knew each other for 5 months- then I returned home - and we were separated for 10 months - due to pre EU and no Free Movement and then a terrible car crash. Got married half somewhere in the middle- I was 19 and he was 24.

Sheer madness- still together. Will be 50 years since we met, at Easter- because if had taken the wrong train from Waterloo. Should write a book...

Harris27 Mon 06-Jan-20 20:07:10

Yes I was young and daft met husband and married him within six months! Been married 43 years in April so can’t have been too bad!

Nico97 Mon 06-Jan-20 20:09:13

On the night of my 21st birthday party, my friend asked me if she could set me up with a friend of her husband. Having had a few too many I replied "Course I will, it'll be a laugh". Following on from the date, we were engaged within three months and married the following year !

Just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary and we're still having a laugh grin

Marydoll Mon 06-Jan-20 20:09:55

I was engaged in three months and married a year later.
Still together 44 years later (Just! grin)

Framilode Mon 06-Jan-20 20:31:44

Met and married within a year. Now 52 years wed.

MiniMoon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:50:07

I met my husband when I was 17. We had one of those off and on relationships mostly off. We married when I was 30! I'd known him for 13 years. I had the odd boyfriend in between, but none of them were serious, or lasted long.
It was always going to be my husband, and I was prepared to wait until he was ready.

Grannybags Mon 06-Jan-20 20:57:51

My husband and I "lived in sin" 6 months after we met (50 years ago this year!) and eventually married 2 years after we met.

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 21:02:40

Love these stories!

because if had taken the wrong train from Waterloo. Should write a book... Do tell jura!

DH and I almost didn’t meet either. He was the friend of my friend’s cousin and all the lads had been out in Edinburgh after a rugby international. My friend suggested we all go and meet them but I was choked with a cold and really couldn’t be bothered - she was very persuasive though. DH had been considering going home - he was tired and fed up of drinking with the lads but had been persuaded to stay because the girls were coming! It turned out that his mum and my mum had lived in the same street in the forties and fifties before his mum moved away and our grandfathers knew each other and used to get the same bus into work. Maybe we were meant to be! (God help me...)

TheReadingRoom Mon 06-Jan-20 21:05:27

Met and married in 11 weeks due to his posting to Singapore with the FCO. That was 45 years ago!

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:07:03

Husband number one I knew for two years. He changed for the worse when we married. I left him after a year after.

Husband number two was a friend of a friend. I never dated him. He just stayed with a group of people for a weekend party - and never went home! We lived together for six years, then married (one and two thirds kids, so thought we should) and were very happy for another 15 years, until he died young. We'd still be together now, I know!

I think you don't really know somebody until you've lived with them for a while.

ginny Mon 06-Jan-20 21:14:37

Met whenI was 16, he was 18. I only went out with him to stop him asking me. We got engaged after 4 1/2 years and married 15 months later. Now been married nearly 43 years.

BBbevan Mon 06-Jan-20 21:18:03

Met DH when I was 17 and he the same. We were students at art school. Married 3 years later. Just past 55 year anniversary.

Grammaretto Mon 06-Jan-20 21:18:43

TheReadingRoom I think yours is the fastest courtship. I had thought it was ours. We met in January and were married in April. 13 weeks and 2 days later. That was 51 years ago.

kittylester Mon 06-Jan-20 21:23:07

DH and I met on December 19th 1969, he proposed on 26th Jan 1970 and we got married on 10th Oct 1970.

We have been lucky to have grown together rather than apart over the last 50 years. It was pure lust at the beginning but has become a deep love.

We have weathered some awful things and enjoyed lots of good times. We have laughed and cried and I count myself very fortunate that fate brought us together and that I have spent my life with this kind, supportive, generous, hardworking and irritating man.

gillybob Mon 06-Jan-20 21:28:29

Well having been already married twice before (18 and 23) shock . I was very reluctant to marry a 3rd time . We lived together with my 2 young children for several years before we married on the spur of the moment 21 years ago this year.

Sara65 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:45:01

I was sixteen, he was seventeen, we were good friends but went on to be with other people for a couple of years.

Continued to be close friends till one night things changed, we’ve been living together from that night onwards. Married within a year, and still together after forty five years.

Artdecogran Mon 06-Jan-20 21:54:13

We had our first date on June 4th, got married on August 19th same year, which I think was 10 weeks and 6 days. We were married for 40 years and 4 months when he died in December 2018, and I am struggling without him.

Sara65 Mon 06-Jan-20 22:08:23

Artdecogran

So sorry, that must be so hard

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 22:09:26

Oh Artdecogran - I’m so sorry, that must be so difficult sadthanks

Some very fast movers on here - I’m in awe! How did your parents take the news? We announced our engagement after three months as it seemed more acceptable somehow confused My parents took it remarkably well, considering, and cracked open the champagne. I’m not sure I’d be quite so happy if any of our DCs did that - or maybe they just hid their shock well.

Urmstongran Mon 06-Jan-20 22:11:29

Met when I was 17y and he was 19y. Married when I was 20y. 45y ago now.

It’s lovely to think we have our shared past, adult children and our two gorgeous grandchildren together. He makes me laugh still - he’s so quick with his one-liners! I can’t beli he’s nearly 68y. It’s scary to think where those years have gone.

Sometimes on a sunny morning when I awake, I look across at his head on the pillow and think ‘god, who’s that old bugger lying next to me?’
??

mumofmadboys Mon 06-Jan-20 22:11:31

We stated ' going out ' in March 1980, engaged end of August 1980 and married a year later. I was 23 and DH was 26. Coming up to 39 th WA.

Yennifer Mon 06-Jan-20 22:13:52

We are headed for 20 years together but only been married 3 x

jogginggirl Mon 06-Jan-20 22:14:55

First date - 12th March 1973, married 22nd December 1973 just nine months later! They said it wouldn’t last ? Just clocked up 46 fabulous years ❤️

jogginggirl Mon 06-Jan-20 22:16:49

I wish there was a ‘like’ ‘love’ button on Gransnet