Gransnet forums

Relationships

January blues?

(29 Posts)
Cotswoldslass Sun 12-Jan-20 17:32:54

Hi - anyone else out there with January blues? Nothing specific - just feeling a bit down, difficult to get interested in anything (not like me normally!) - any comments/suggestions? (unfortunately I can't afford a holiday to a nice sunny place - or anywhere in fact - but it is a good suggestion!)

Calendargirl Sun 12-Jan-20 17:40:55

Often feels flat after Christmas and New Year, plus the weather is not very inspiring, mornings still dark.
In January last year, I sorted through lots of old paperwork, old salary slips, archaic financial stuff and did a great deal of shredding.
Sounds boring, but quite therapeutic.
On the plus side, afternoons starting to ‘put out’, bulbs coming through, snowdrops abound, soon be spring.

Juliet27 Sun 12-Jan-20 17:49:25

I’ve felt like that most winters (maybe we were meant to hibernate!) but taking vitamin D3 certainly seems to have helped reduce the sad syndrome feeling.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Jan-20 17:59:59

Also devote January to tasks like sorting, but also spending time outdoors despite frigid temperatures, no vacations slated either but do visit a few local greenhouses, go for drives, run errands, spend time with others and before I know it, it's Spring .. smile

sharon103 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:12:40

Yes I feel like that every January. February too. It's known as S.A.D.

After the hype of Christmas it seems a bit flat.
I long to get back on the garden.
I've planned to get some rooms painted before that though. Not in the mood at the moment. I need to declutter drawers too.
Soon be getting lighter at night now. smile

Hetty58 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:14:25

I used to have a daylight lamp for SAD and made a habit of 39 minutes use every day.

When it stopped working I thought I could manage without it - but I've really noticed the difference. I'm very low energy and gloomy atm.

Spending more time outdoors really helps but I'll probably get a new lamp too. By the end of March I'm always full of energy and happy.

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:15:54

Actually, I am happy to say, today we both said as it was great to have days becoming longer again- and how much we felt better for the bright sunshine.

So hope you feel better soon. Late November, early Dec. is my 'down' time.

sharon103 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:20:59

Me too Hetty58. My sister's just the same every year. We haven't tried a lamp.
Like you, come March and the sun shines we're like Spring chickens again.

moggie57 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:25:27

get a S.A.D lamp. 2 hours when you feel depressed really works .put on some hawaiian music or whatever and pretend you on holiday.i get this every year blooming depressing ,some days i dont feel like geerting up. but sas my grandma used to say ."you a long time dead". so make yourself get up and have a shower,....then think of all the little things you got to do and do them. or volunteer at a charity shop,i have a right laugh at the stuff people donate. lifts me up no end. its warm ,drinks .biccies if you want any. friends to chat too as well as customers.live life now not when you dead ..

Katyj Sun 12-Jan-20 19:18:26

Yes me too, I've been forcing myself to go out for a brisk walk everyday this week, and I can't say that it's helped yet.Even my DH commented this morning that I was very quiet.Can't get excited about anything at the mo !

Xxjanexx Sun 12-Jan-20 19:28:09

I’m the same cotswaldlass I call it the after Christmas slump!
The run up to Christmas there’s so much to do then after slump!
I use a SAD lamp in the morning it does help me.
I also write a list every Sunday off jobs that need doing for that week

Happygirl79 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:29:36

I hate the short days in Winter
Spring is the best time of the year for me
Its full of new life and promise

GagaJo Sun 12-Jan-20 20:13:30

Bright sunshine here jura2! Went for a lovely walk in it today.

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 20:17:57

what, not skiing or s owboarding ? Lol.
Must go and try some of the spas soon. Leukerbad (aka Loèche) or Saillon near Sion, or up to Ovronnaz above.

love0c Sun 12-Jan-20 20:30:14

Definitely feeling low. Husband wanted to go on holiday but I am fearful of going at the moment. Can't say why exactly just a feeling of gloom and feel panic rising in me at the thought of going away.

Cotswoldslass Sun 12-Jan-20 20:33:31

Yes love0c - I feel exactly the same (not that I am going on holiday) - I mean the gloom and panic. I think I may look at buying a SAD lamp if they are not too expensive, they seem to have a lot of fans.............

love0c Sun 12-Jan-20 20:38:47

I am going out walking each day which I love. Also just trying to enjoy simple everyday things at the moment until I feel 'normal'. Also trying not to think too much but I find that very hard. Hope you soon feel better Cotswoldslass. smile

sharon103 Sun 12-Jan-20 20:40:07

I can just picture me cavorting to Hawaiian music in a grass skirt moggie57. grin Not a pretty sight.
I was a volunteer in activities at an elderly residential home but our particular club ended at Christmas.
Come another couple of months I'll be be moaning that there's not enough hours in the day to fit everything in.
I'm not really depressed, just flat and in a can't be bothered mode. I've joined the hedgehogs in hibernation. I'll be out again soon.

sharon103 Sun 12-Jan-20 20:50:58

I will buy some vitamin D tablets Juliet27 As the sun is our main source of it I guess we get low during the winter. It's worth a try thanks.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 12-Jan-20 20:55:21

Still working full time with a half hour commute, I leave home at 0725 and don’t return until 1715 ish. My desk is about 30 foot from the window and at this time of year taking lunch near daylight is impossible. So I wish the time away and feel guilty about it. I do try and get out at weekends chores (and weather!) permitting.
But.... this weekend I can see the shoots appearing everywhere, there’s snowdrops on the bank and the birds are singing as I leave in the morning. It promises so much and I must keep that in mind, and not dwell on the misery of the darkness.
I take d3 as week, all year round. I definitely helps.

annsixty Sun 12-Jan-20 21:34:42

I thought it was just me and the different life I am experiencing.
The first Christmas without my H who died 9 months ago so NewYear was very sad.
I am also waiting for a hip replacement so I am fairly immobile.
I can’t get out unless someone takes me and that isn’t often.
Life seems pointless but reading about others it may just be the time of year.
I may feel better when spring comes, I do hope so.

SalsaQueen Mon 13-Jan-20 17:19:52

January seems to be a depressing month - Christmas is over, the weather is miserable, some of us (me) are waiting for pay-day, and there is no Bank Holiday off work until Easter.

I'm going bowling next weekend with my GD and my 2 sons. We'll have lunch out, which is booked.

I think it's a good idea to book something to look forward to. I've just booked a Valentine's Day afternoon tea with Prosecco, to go to with my husband.

I'm now wondering what else I can book (which won't cost much)

SalsaQueen Mon 13-Jan-20 17:21:39

annsixty.......... Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time of it. x

Sealover Mon 13-Jan-20 17:28:42

A couple of years ago I found myself feeling very down in January, couldn't stand another grey day. I started taking vitamin D3 1000iu (Natures Best) and within a couple of days felt so much more 'up'. So, I take them every year October through till end of March. Good luck

GrannySomerset Mon 13-Jan-20 17:29:29

Annsixty - sorry you are feeling so low but I do sympathise. I am by nature an optimist but this year the best I hope for is for things to get no worse, which is hardly positive. But truthfully I don’t feel there is anything to look forward to as it is too difficult to take DH away, and the amount of support I need to provide increases all the time.

I know things could be (and may well) be much worse but that is no consolation.

Do hope you get your hip op soon and that you can be pain free at last.