Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should I say the 3 little words first

(46 Posts)
Workingnana Thu 16-Jan-20 14:25:52

I have been seeing a guy for 3 years we broke up over a silly argument both at fault, we were apart for 2 years my decision because I am stubborn but has been back together for 2 months we don’t live together because of family it’s not a problem and we are getting on better.
Valentine’s Day is coming up and I would like to get him a card saying I love you, but not sure what he would think as he has never said it, he is very affectionate and treats me really well, flowers etc but I’m scared to do it .... advice please

suziewoozie Thu 16-Jan-20 14:31:36

Once said, can’t be unsaid. Why not just carry on treating him in a loving way? Actions and all that.....

whywhywhy Thu 16-Jan-20 17:31:03

Only say those words if you truly mean them. If you have to ask us then the answer is that you are not ready to say those words.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Jan-20 17:46:01

I once told a guy I loved him (first) and never saw him again (I was 16 though) ?

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 17:52:21

Don't!

Sussexborn Thu 16-Jan-20 18:03:30

Early days! Wait until it comes naturally, if it does.

sodapop Thu 16-Jan-20 18:10:35

Yes, too soon after you got back together. Wait a while.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 18:57:59

Such a little word with so many repercussions if you get it wrong.
I always wait to see if it's really real before I commit to saying it, and that takes a long time.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:00:31

And it means absolutely nothing if said after sex!

Kittye Thu 16-Jan-20 19:01:49

A friend told her man friend she thought she was falling in love with him. That was the end of the relationship she’d scared him off. I’d wait til he said it first.

Workingnana Thu 16-Jan-20 19:11:24

Thank you all for your sound advice you all seem to be of one mind,
I am going to wait

jura2 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:15:57

Kittye - but then they can both 'play that game' forever ... neither daring saying it first.

I believe if it is right it is, and if not, the sooner you know the better. I'd say it- either it is reciprocated, and that is wonderful.
Or it is not ... and time to let go.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 17-Jan-20 15:09:13

Why do you think you are scared of saying it? That would be my question! If you love him. Tell him, agree with Jura2

ayokunmi1 Sun 19-Jan-20 20:01:34

Why cant you say it if you feel you really want to do you think he feels the same.

grannypiper Sun 19-Jan-20 20:31:39

Life is too short, just say it

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 20-Jan-20 07:59:25

Ask yourself: If it wasn't Valentines Day, would you be considering saying it?
Then you should have your answer.....

bingo12 Mon 20-Jan-20 08:30:07

You were apart for 2 years but you really love/loved him? He might find that strange.

timetogo2016 Mon 20-Jan-20 08:42:44

No don`t.
A friend of mine made that mistake,she told her now x she loved him and his reply to that was don`t complicate things.
She was so hurt and to this day talks about it and that was over 20 years ago.

pinkquartz Mon 20-Jan-20 10:12:26

But if you do send a card that says I love You , he might say it back to you!
If he did a runner wouldn't it be better to know?
I say if you feel it then send the card.

luluaugust Mon 20-Jan-20 10:13:46

Bit early, maybe wait and see what he has planned for Valentines Day.

Purplepoppies Mon 20-Jan-20 10:32:24

I've been in a 'situationship' for a year. Neither has labelled it so far. I have feelings. I'm scared to voice them for the same reasons. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I certainly feel your dilemma ?

polnan Mon 20-Jan-20 10:45:07

well I love most everyone,, love is love,,, different sorts of love.. we take it all too seriously,, love whilst you can..

Legs55 Mon 20-Jan-20 10:56:52

I would be very wary of saying it, in my situation I know my male friend (not partner) would run a mile. We have a strong friendship, I have a definite soft spot for him but love - no. Any cards I send are jokey not sentimental

Say it if it feels right but be prepared for the consequences if he doesn't feel the same way....sorry not much help I know.

My DH, who was the "love of my life" & I rarely said it but actions speak louder than words.

cossybabe Mon 20-Jan-20 11:01:03

Why not send a card that says " I love being with you?

Conners12 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:05:28

Met a chap I knew when I was at school last year. Had not seen him in 30 years! Took a leap of faith, we went on holiday and so far so good. I said love you first but mitigated it then by saying it was an in the moment thing. Men do get frightened by commitment but life is short and you have already wasted two whole years!