Gransnet forums

Relationships

My Grownup Children Are So Unhappy.

(52 Posts)
beautybumble Sat 30-May-20 17:51:07

I'm 70 next month and I'm finding it so hard to cope with the constant low moods of my children. I've helped them all a lot with grandchildren to help make their lives a bit easier and of course because I dearly love them. But when I do go round I'm greeted with a miserable half hearted hello and then I feel the whole time that I'm not really wanted there. When I eventually leave, they can barely be bothered to look up to say goodbye. I don't have a partner so I just end up worrying about it for days until it happens again. Sometimes I wish I could go somewhere away and start a fresh life, but of course I would never really leave them in the lurch.

ValerieF Mon 01-Jun-20 23:17:56

What struck me first was this was the OP mentioned her age and then later the fact she was on her own.

Don't get me wrong beautybumble I 'get' what you are feeling but just wondering if you are putting all the onus on your family to have a life instead of forging a life for yourself apart from your family?

Yes, help out when you can but look outside the family for your interests. Find things YOU want to do and IF you are available at any time, then help your family out but don't make them the first and foremost. Once you start to enjoy your life, your way, you may find you haven't time to wonder what they are doing? Sometimes (and I don't know if this applies) but people think they only way to go is by being available to adult children to bail them out, babysit, etc. It ISN'T...you were a person before you had them, you are a person now. Enjoy YOUR life for you.