Gransnet forums

Relationships

Baby’s name could break up my family

(112 Posts)
Normski111 Tue 30-Jun-20 22:51:10

My son and DIL called their son after his only uncle - DIL’s only sibling - (one of his 2 middle names - both her family names). Now they’re having a daughter but my DIL doesn’t want to have my son’s only sibling and only the children’s only auntie in baby’s name. I’m gutted and my daughter will be too.
She hasn’t said anything to me, but my son told me and he’s conflicted between appeasing his wife and considering his sister’s feelings.
The baby is due in 4 weeks and I’m dreading the time when the name’s announced.
It conflicts with my family values and I feel it’s an insult to my family. My DIL has been part of my family for 12 years, over one third of her life, so it really hurts.
How do I respond to keep my values whilst continuing to be a Grandma?

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jul-20 00:27:12

Perhaps your DD's name is not a name which either your DiL or DS like Normskill?
As others have said, you have no say in their choices. Sorry.
My MiL has always enjoyed suggesting awful names for DGC and now her DGGC. She's incorrigible.
She wanted me to call my DD Blanche.
I didn't grin

Hithere Wed 01-Jul-20 00:32:30

The parents of the baby are your son and dil.

Not you, not your daughter, not an uncle, etc.

They name their baby and you, your daughter or anybody else has no input in it.

If this is the event that breaks your family, the family is not very strong to start with.

Watch out with making it a big deal as you may jeopardize the relationship with the child and the mother.

sharon103 Wed 01-Jul-20 00:51:52

MawB my mum's name was Gladys Hilda. grin

She hated it. Apart from her family and closest friends, she was known as Mrs. H........
We used to laugh with her, we said she must have had a wicked mother.
Shame really as her sisters had pretty names.

twiglet77 Wed 01-Jul-20 01:08:24

I don't think any expectant parents should feel obligated to give their child a name that follows a family tradition, there are too many children saddled with names they have to spend their whole lives explaining. I can't stand silly, faddish names or individualised spellings either, but that's another topic!

welbeck Wed 01-Jul-20 01:09:50

is this a wind-up.
there seem to be a run recently as if competing for the most unreasonable, or should i say unbelievable, GM/MIL.

Lolo81 Wed 01-Jul-20 01:30:43

Welbeck, I certainly hope it is a wind up, I have seen and commented on a few of the MIL/DIL posts recently I think you’re referring to, but I actually can believe this one. My own mum broke the traditional naming conventions for her family with my brother and I and it caused a ruckus in her family for years! I also had pressure put on me about my own kids names and now regret not giving my DD the middle name I wanted because I caved to family pressure, so she only has her given first name and no middle name at all sad

DillytheGardener Wed 01-Jul-20 01:55:57

I chose plain names for my sons that can’t be shortened. Plain but they have a terrible surname so I couldn’t saddle with something that would cause more teasing on top of having one of the worst surnames in history. confused

sodapop Wed 01-Jul-20 07:33:25

For goodness sake don't encourage this pettiness within your family normskill parents can name their children whatever they want. Enjoy your grandchildren and don't stress about such things.

Calendargirl Wed 01-Jul-20 07:47:52

I am trying to think of the worst surname in history Dilly.

vegansrock Wed 01-Jul-20 07:49:53

Is the OP a member of the royal family?
Would you really cut off your grandchildren because the parents didn’t use the name you chose?
Is this a wind up?

felice Wed 01-Jul-20 08:00:37

Collecting DGS from school 2 weeks ago there were a group of women coming from a local nursery with little ones. One little boy ran ahead and his Mum shouted on him, Adolf, I kid you not I was so surprised I stopped to hear more.
Now that choice would worry even me.

Lucca Wed 01-Jul-20 08:03:34

Calendargirl

I am trying to think of the worst surname in history Dilly.

Tempted to suggest a few...
Shufflebottom?
Grocock?

MellowYellow Wed 01-Jul-20 08:06:59

Isn't the issue here the fact that your son is talking to you about it? I have two sons and we are very close but I wouldn't expect to be drawn into a discussion about babies' names. Or any other matters which should be between him and his wife. Best to take a step back.

Curlywhirly Wed 01-Jul-20 08:08:32

With respect, isn't it rather vain to want a child (especially one who is not your own) to be named after you? I can't imagine feeling so important that I would expect any member of my family to name a child after me!

Oopsminty Wed 01-Jul-20 08:17:17

Bastard was a pretty rough surname. Seems to have disappeared over the years

Jane10 Wed 01-Jul-20 08:20:32

Time to break out of these ridiculous conventions. In my family the baby could be called Anchovy Banana as long as its OK and I can can be part of its life.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Jul-20 08:35:21

We had a Bastard at school I think you pronounced it ‘bs tard’ with the emphasise on the tard
I wonder if normskill has taken it on board as seems fairly unanimous posts

Furret Wed 01-Jul-20 08:39:27

Jane exactly ?

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 08:40:35

My grandson has his paternal grandfathers name. Nothing from my family at all. No one was bothered. We all adore that boy and his name is now firmly ONLY associated with him in my families mind.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 08:40:58

Argh! *family's

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 01-Jul-20 08:49:58

You were right the first time.
Families shouldn’t be involved in selecting the names of other family members and why it would be an insult is beyond me.
Go away and think of something important to worry about.

Babyshark Wed 01-Jul-20 08:54:22

Absolute madness that you and your daughter feel you have the right to dictate the name of any child that’s not yours. That your son is even considering his sisters feelings on this over his wife is so strange. Unless you have a odd set up where his sister is giving birth to his child his sister then she really is completely irrelevant. The entitlement and vanity of some people is awful.

I hope this is a wind up.

gillybob Wed 01-Jul-20 08:55:56

My little Evie was very nearly a Mabel MawB . She really suits her name but would have suited being Mabel too. I think it’s a cute name and reminds me of those lovely Mabel Lucy Atwell characters. smile

I can’t see how a name could tear up a family unless the baby is to be called Adolf or something hideous like that . grin

Anyway the names that we might’ve thought old fashioned, are all back in fashion now . I sincerely hope no poor little baby is ever saddled with my horrible name (popular in the 60’s) ?

Alexa Wed 01-Jul-20 08:56:20

I never heard of a family with such "family values". Maybe you could revise your "family values".

gillybob Wed 01-Jul-20 08:58:03

Anchovy Banana has quite a ring to it Jane10 , would that be for a boy or girl? grin

I suppose would get “Anchy” for short .