Gransnet forums

Relationships

Grandson and his partner have separated and I am so worried

(31 Posts)
Kartush Fri 03-Jul-20 11:52:33

My grandsons partner of 10 years informed him that she no longer loved him, had been unfaithful to him and no longer wanted to be with him. They are so young, he is 24 she is 23. They have a little boy who is 2 and a half.
While I am so sad for them as I love them both ( our grandson is devastated as he did not know there was a problem) I am very worried about our great grandson.
I know this will sound very selfish but we have babysat him since his mother returned to work when he was about 3 months old. We have him every Friday sometimes more, he sometimes sleeps over and he just adores my husband.
While things have not changed in the two weeks since the breakup the thought of loosing our great grandson fills me with dread.
I don’t know what to think or do.

BlueBelle Sat 04-Jul-20 19:11:14

I guess there’s always someone who can prove me wrong paddyanne ? but it hasn’t changed my mind I still think your examples aren’t the norm nowadays particularly, young people should have fun and experiences in their teens before they settle otherwise they look for their experiences after the relationship has worn out as in this case but now there’s a baby in the equation and lots of broken hearts
I wish I d have been as wise as you janeRu?

Paperbackwriter Sat 04-Jul-20 21:26:45

A lot of criticism here, Bluebelle. Really it's not for any of us to say what should have been, is it? I know many who married their first boyfriends and it worked out, plus some who waited and married later and it maybe didn't. Just the way it goes.

What I do think will work is if you don't add an opinion to what's happened, keep taking care of the GGS on the same basis and everyone stay friendly, including - one would hope (as they share a child) the couple themselves. It's what's known as the Swedish model - people marry, have children, divorce, get new partners and often the new families are friends and meet up as extended families. it can work fine.

Pussycat2012 Sun 05-Jul-20 02:57:20

I agree with everything Starblaze has said. I wish you much luck.?

sazz1 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:38:04

My son had an affair and it totally ruined my relationship with my DIL. We still see the DGC but things have never been the same between us even though they made it up and are still together. Also we were very supportive of her and condemned what he did. She did lots of crazy things like giving away presents we bought DGS clothes, toys etc and then buying exactly the same herself!
Previously she was like a daughter to me and we loved her very much
Be prepared for some changes but hopefully all will work out ok for you all.

Toadinthehole Mon 06-Jul-20 16:39:58

My husband and I have been together since we were sixteen. I know of plenty others. We were ‘ partners’ from the start. So sorry this has happened Kartush, but as others have said, don’t do or say anything, just carry on as you were and give help/ advice only when asked.....if you are able too. Hope it works out well for you all.