Gransnet forums

Relationships

Invited to my sister's and then told to go

(105 Posts)
seastar Wed 08-Jul-20 04:50:56

Sister invited me over to her house and gave me a time to arrive. I turned up on time. We were talking about pleasant things and my sister's husband went to bed. It was 8.30 pm. After 30 mins her husband came downstairs and said loudly "Come on, you have work tomorrow and you have to be up early". He then went back to bed. I made my excuses and left at 9pm. My sister was the one who said to come over on that particular night at 8;30pm. I felt her husband was being rude and disrespectful. Have I read the situation correctly? My sister's husband has now banned me from the house and they have cut me off. I thought it was an over reaction but I never know if i'm in the right or wrong.

seastar Wed 05-Aug-20 00:57:06

Social services checked on mum because I had an email from Social services saying that mum was well and not being abused. I don't know how they came to this decision but the result was that my sister was extremely angry that I had involved social services. Sister sent me a message via facebook stating that from now on I am "dead to her". She wants no further contact and will ignore me.

Bluebelle I didn't think how social services found out. I assumed they made a visit but you have got me wondering now how they found out the information. All I know is that I contacted Social services and then about 2 days later I had an email from them just giving me a vague reassurance that mum was okay.

I always thought that my sister was a really nice person until my dad died about 2 years ago and then all this with mum happened. Part of me still can't believe that my sister has done this. To me my sister was always a kind and loving person. These last 2 years has shocked me and maybe I was mistaken in my sisters' personality. Strange thing is I still love my sister even though she has done this but I now feel as though I have to respect her space and cease contact. It means that I won't know anything about my mum. I won't even know when she has died. This really hurts but Social services was my last attempt. I tried the police but they warned me that I shouldn't go to my sisters' house and bang on her door because then I would be at fault and could be in trouble with the police. The police suggested that I let things calm down and then try mediation via charities or Citizens Advice. However, mum is nearing 90 yrs of age and all this waiting could be to late. I just hope that mum doesn't believe I've abandoned her and don't love her. I would hate her to think that of me.

BibiSarah = I know posters only have my side of this sad series of events but I know I have told the truth. I posted on Gransnet because I wanted to have other perspectives on my situation. My goal was simply to find a way to see my mum because I love her. I don't want to cause any trouble for anyone especially my sister. I miss my mum and my sister decided to block access. I suspect money/inheritance is at the bottom of this all. My sister can have the inheritance due to me. I want my mum back.

How do I know mum's Will has been changed?
My sister told me via messenger FB that mum had made a new will leaving my other sister and me out.

It's not a pleasant situation. I've cried that much that I've given myself headaches, eyes sore and I am on strong dose of anti-depressants.

Reading through these posts though has helped because I know that others have suffered similar things and are able to offer support and advice for which I am deeply grateful. Thank you for your support during these bad years that I am experiencing. Gransnetters have made me feel stronger and I can't thank you all enough.thanks

seastar Mon 29-May-23 02:28:27

Just to update on this. Mum died. Younger sister has v.aggressive husband. We lost contact as she stated on FB that she's on a different path. She has now cut herself off from her side of the family totally. I wrote a letter trying to alert her to her controlling husband but no reply. I've said I'm here if needed. There's not anymore I can do. Other sister reckons younger sister 'plays' silly games for a laugh. Better off out of it I think. Thanks for all the advice. I thought you would all like to know what finally happened.

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-May-23 05:27:39

Thanks for the update seastar.
Not nice but you sound more resigned to it now.
Maybe just focus on the relationship with your other sister now.
flowers

Allsorts Thu 01-Jun-23 05:23:40

It sounds as if it was all about control and money. It's quite common one sibling takes control, takes parent into their home , will changed, couple not interested in family just money. They make it impossible for anyone else to see the family member. Norally tell all that know them thatother family not interested and neglectful. They don't usually tell you parent has died, making out there is only them that cares. Social Services are not interested, they have a heavy workload they can not deal with. Whatever you did or didn't do would have had the same outcome I'm afraid.