Gransnet forums

Relationships

Relationship faltering since birth of DS3

(86 Posts)
StrawberryShortcake Wed 22-Jul-20 00:05:29

I have already posted this on mumsnet, I’m the Mum and my Mum is the Gran. I got lots of great advice and support on mumsnet but wondered if I might get a different perspective from Grans?

Here goes:

Since having my DS3 my parent’s behaviour has changed or perhaps they have always been this way and I have become less tolerant.

I’d like advice about how to repair our relationship before things breakdown any further.

I have always been very close to both of my parents. My son is their first grandchild and I was excited to tell them they were going to be grandparents. They were shocked (no idea why I was 39 and had been married for 5 years) and throughout my pregnancy they never asked about me or my son.

When DS3 was born they were happy and for a little while things were ok, but as he grew and needed nap and feed times they became difficult to be around. They would ‘accidentally’ wake him up, distract him from eating etc. If I said “he’s getting tired” they would scoff and roll their eyes. In fact they would scoff and roll their eyes at most things I said. To this day they have never told me I am a good mother - perhaps because they don’t think I am. I once got upset and told them about how they made me feel. It didn’t help, my dad shouted at me, said I’m ungrateful and how dare I say they upset me when they paid for my wedding, buy me nice presents and
helped me go to university. They did pay for some of it but I paid for a lot of my wedding and worked 3 jobs during my uni days. I thanked them so much for these things at the time that my dad told me off for thanking them too much. I tried to pay them back for this with a regular monthly payment but they refused. I have since asked them not to buy presents for me or my husband anymore. I can’t risk it being thrown back in my face again as it’s too hurtful. This conversation did stop the eye rolling but nothing else changed.

They are both poor communicators my mum lies a lot ( nothing major, I’m not sure she realises she’s doing it a lot of the time) and shouts or cries to deflect or get her own way and my dad won’t speak at all most of the time. I can’t remember the last time he spoke directly to me. He hasn’t wished me happy birthday for 3 years and neither of them have made any attempt to see me on my birthday for the past 3 years either. This year they came to my house when they knew I would be at work and dropped of an incredibly expensive pair of earrings for me. I now have to go to their house to take them back, which makes me feel very anxious.

They come for Christmas but make no attempt to enjoy themselves. I always cook the food they like, but mum will just pick at it and say she’s not hungry.

Since our relationship has started to breakdown, it’s made me think about the past more and the things my parents have done over the years that have made me feel bad that I’ve perhaps brushed under the carpet. I’m slowly letting go of these things/feelings and want to move on and make our relationship better. I know they won’t instigate this so I need to, but how? It would be easy to walk away but what good would that do. I saw a counsellor but she just kept telling me to tell my mum that I needed a hug from her, which I can’t do yet

In other respects my life is wonderful even in these difficult times, my son is amazing ( as all mums think of their children) my husband is too and is very supportive. I have a nice home and good job.

And yet, this issue with my parents consumes so much of me, of my time, my energy, my thoughts. How do I start carving a path to positive change?

Phloembundle Thu 23-Jul-20 15:58:43

Back off and stop torturing yourself. If who you are is not enough for them, then be yourself and leave them to it. We don't owe our parents anything. It sounds as if they think you are patheticvfor trying too hard. Enjoy your life without them then maybe they will come around.

alltheglitterglue Thu 23-Jul-20 16:01:42

I’m both a Grandma and the daughter of parents who are a lot like yours @StrawberryShortcake.

As I was reading your OP I was thinking ‘yep, yes, yes, yep’.

Unless you are the child of manipulative or disinterested parents I think it’s difficult to understand how it feels to be on the receiving end of it yourself. Summer bank holidays used to be the worst for me, I could hear happy families enjoying their time together and I never had that. If you don’t have a harmonious family you see happy families everywhere.

The ‘but we paid for x, y, z so we expect you to...’ absolutely resonates with me.

I’ve moved on from the way you feel now, many of my suggestions reiterate the excellent advice you’ve been given.

It’s perfectly reasonable to expect that your parents would say kind things to you. Unfortunately, those aren’t the parents you’ve got. Find a way to accept that, it will help.

Now that I’ve paid for my own children through University I do not consider that they should demonstrate eternal gratitude to me for it, paying for your children’s education is just parenting.

You are already doing this but distance yourself from them, look after yourself. When you do have to see them try not to see them at their house, in my experience they will feel able to be at their worst there.

Stop yourself from hoping and giving, you can’t change them, you can only change your reaction to them. Decide on your boundaries, make them and keep them.

Their criticisms of your parenting are a nonsense, take all of the proper advice on board but you know your own son. They’ve had their chance at having small children, this is your son, you know if he is tired and needs to be in bed.

Choose your boundaries and stick to them, for your own sanity. They are looking after themselves. You have to look after you.

It sounds as though you, DH and DS make a lovely family. Enjoy what you have and focus on that. flowers

Madgran77 Thu 23-Jul-20 16:08:38

allthe glitterglue Excellent advice...I really hope that it helps you Strawberry Shortcake flowers

Newatthis Thu 23-Jul-20 18:07:20

How heart breaking for you. It looks as if you're doing everything to keep things on an even keel. Some people might say there are two sides to every relationship but I have found from personal experience that this is not always the case. How about 'distancing' yourself a little. Not too much as this will impact the relationship your sone might have with them but don't let them treat you as they have been doing - if you let people treat you badly, they will!. Next time something is said that upsets you just say' I'm sorry you feel this way as I find what you've said very upsetting"It sounds like none of you can communicate, including you as you have put up with this. As far as the earrings are concerned, taking them back might make matters worse. instead ring up and thank them for them and say that you are sorry you missed them and it would have been nice to see them.

Saggi Thu 23-Jul-20 19:12:34

I dont understand how grandparents can’t love their grandson either. What s special prize grandchildren are. These parents sound horribly manipulative and obviously dislike their daughter making them grandparents!! Odd folk!! You were right to return the present...they broke your rules. I wouldnt contaminated ate your son with them...they sound toxic. You sound like an excellent mum..... I know my daughter is so much better a parent than I ever was and I’m immensely proud of her and tell her often how i feel. I think your parents may come around to their grandchild ....but only when they get their heads out of their ‘you-know-what’.

StrawberryShortcake Wed 29-Jul-20 19:31:21

Thank you everyone, so many kind comments and helpful advice. I did give the gifts back and mentioned that I was disappointed they didn’t want to see me on my birthday. Since then they haven’t asked to see me (socially distanced of course), they FaceTime my son but that’s about it.

I keep coming back to the thought that I don’t think they are doing a lot of this consciously. I think some of it is poor communication skills, they are dismissive and I’m not sure what that’s about, and some of it is just laziness/not wanting to address thing. For example if they ask about me they could be worried I’d say I’m not ok or I needed something from them (I wouldn’t say this, but they could think I would) and they might have to then ‘deal’ with something/help me. I don’t know / clutching at straws I guess!

welbeck Wed 29-Jul-20 19:53:31

it doesn't matter.
don't try to analyse them. don't waste your emotional energy on them. just be glad you don't have to live with them.
you get to live with people who love and respect you.
that's all that matters.
and don't let them hurt yr son' feelings, with yr mother's one-upmanship. give them a wide berth. you can do it.
good luck.

StrawberryShortcake Wed 29-Jul-20 22:22:37

Thank you Welbeck thanks

Lolo81 Thu 30-Jul-20 01:01:19

Strawberry Shortcake, the poor communication skills could be purely generational. The old stiff upper lip and not addressing all those yucky emotions. I know I’m generalising as there are many within that generation who do have emotional intelligence, but the stereotype exists for a reason.
You’ve said a couple of times now they can’t communicate, perhaps they simply don’t know how to handle the more emotional aspects that you are craving.
I know that doesn’t make you feel any less hurt, but the emphasis on things and gifts could be their way of showing love that they cannot express and by returning the things/gifts or refusing them you are rejecting their “love”.
That doesn’t necessarily make their actions ok, if it’s hurting you then the decision you need to make is whether to address it head on and hope they’d be willing to try, to distance yourself in order to protect your own feelings, or try to accept their efforts and make peace with their limitations.

StrawberryShortcake Thu 30-Jul-20 12:54:40

Thanks Lolo, I think I’m leaning towards just trying to accept things the way they are and keep a bit of emotional distance .