Gransnet forums

Relationships

Ghosting

(129 Posts)
Marketkat Mon 10-Aug-20 18:29:28

Has anybody heard of “ghosting“ or had it happen to them. I googled my friend is ignoring me. Ghosting came up as a thing, this has happened to a lot of people. Basically my friend of over 20 years has disappeared from my life, we don’t live close to each other But would visit each other often. I had a big tragedy in my life, that I posted in the bereavement section. Although initially supportive, I don’t hear from this person anymore despite my efforts, I get no replies or any communication. I’m worried about posting, but I’m genuinely interested to know what people think. Thanks for any replies.

dragonfly46 Mon 30-Nov-20 14:32:14

I am sort of ghosting someone at the moment. Forty years ago we were quite close but although I was always there for her she never was for me. She let me down time and time again. She was also subtly unkind to my children.

We have kept in touch over the years and they have been to stay but recently she let me down yet again and enough was enough.
I can't even be bothered to tell her why I am having no more contact. She has noticed as we have a mutual friend but I really do not care. Life is too short!

Barbara92 Wed 02-Dec-20 03:42:43

I've just ghosted a friend of 40 years although didn't realize that's what it's called. This friend has a negative view on life and very few friends. Over last few years she has become very needy, frequently texting and if I didn't respond quickly enough I'd get a 'did you get my text' follow up, but worse was the daily hour long phone call which if I tried to cut short would produce accusations about not wanting to speak to her.
She has mental health issues and I tried to take that into account which just made it impossible to explain how I needed her to ease off. That would almost amount to character assassination.
What I did wasn't nice but perhaps kinder than the alternative? I don't know.

Namsnanny Wed 02-Dec-20 12:58:00

dragonfly46

I am sort of ghosting someone at the moment. Forty years ago we were quite close but although I was always there for her she never was for me. She let me down time and time again. She was also subtly unkind to my children.

We have kept in touch over the years and they have been to stay but recently she let me down yet again and enough was enough.
I can't even be bothered to tell her why I am having no more contact. She has noticed as we have a mutual friend but I really do not care. Life is too short!

I have a similar situation going on now, but because I feel so guilty for not wanting the stress if dealing g with her negativity (nothing I do is viewed with any balance ). I keep a low level of interaction.