Gransnet forums

Relationships

Glass coffee jars

(38 Posts)
Ngaio1 Mon 10-Aug-20 20:25:07

I was lucky enough to be given a quantity of large coffee jars which i aim to use as storage. They are washed and clean but i cannot get rid of the gummy residue left by label removal Washing up liquid and hot water does not touch it! (Have rubbed hard).

travelsafar Thu 20-Aug-20 12:59:53

TerriBull love it grin smile

TerriBull Thu 20-Aug-20 14:39:51

I just wanted to warn others who are contemplating having relationships with their coffee jars, they are not all they are cracked up to be!

Quite honestly, the relationship I had with mine went awry long before the biscuit tin became involved, although they were hard times especially when the ginger nuts entered the fray, and by that time I'd already had a hob nob or two on the side sad The problem was my jars was could never quite get over the fact that prior to their arrival I had had a long standing relationship with the tea caddy shock many a time the jar/s would comment "it's like there are three of us in this kitchen, me, the biscuit tin and the tea caddy and they were bought items" they moaned "and well, I just came with the coffee and count for nothing as far as you're concerned sad" on they droned " anyway what do you see in that garish container?" "well not a lot" I was quick to placate them, "I can't see a bloody thing cos they're tin!" No amount of reassurance helped, the jars they just returned my imploring looks with a glazed expressions. Eventually I said "we can't go on like this, it's affecting the cups and saucers, the cups tell me they feel empty inside and the saucers.....I can see, well are just flat sad the thing is they can't just exist, they need to thrive as well, if this atmosphere continues, heavens they might just up sticks and relocate to say Santa Barbara, yes it's that bad!!!"

Eventually, I will admit to attending support groups that the shelves arranged, but quite honestly at best they were rigid in their approach, at worst completely wooden shock another distressed person, like myself was heard to mutter "what a couple of planks!" shock

I'm trying my best to move on and establish a far more cordial relationship with the Bombay Gin bottle, who is not only lovely on the outside, but also on the inside too. I love to see how happy they are when the Fever Tree Tonics come round to ours! and none of that "there's three of us in this stupor!" yes it's a truly happy hour we all spend together smile

Callistemon Thu 20-Aug-20 15:00:57

That is wonderful. Love it, Terribull!

Don't forget the lime, sitting there looking green with envy envy as the Fevertree tonic and the Bombay Sapphire start forming a relationship ??

TerriBull Thu 20-Aug-20 15:09:30

Damn! Forgot about the lime don't want it getting all bitter and twisted like the lemon?

Callistemon Thu 20-Aug-20 16:28:27

The lime may have got cold feet, it is quite icy in there.
Unless that's just the atmosphere; two's company, three's a crowd.

TerriBull Thu 20-Aug-20 17:06:36

Callistemon imo citrus fruit are also poor relationship material, I don't think it's fair to have a go at the limes because they are small and green and the oranges are quite sweet. However, grapefruit can be quite tricky because you never know how bitter they can turn out to be. Lemons well don't even go there, who wants to end up spliced sliced with one of those shock Bitter doesn't even begin to describe them, frankly too much time hanging around in bars, I think it's fair to say that they've rubbed shoulders with all sorts of nuts shock cashews are the worst allegedly! I guess they would be enough to give anyone the pip!

I think anyone who wants to get involved with citrus fruit should bear in mind at their worst they can be veer into what could only be described as pithy!

Callistemon Thu 20-Aug-20 17:41:02

?????
I've heard it on the grapevine that Olive is always up for threesome shock

cupaffull Thu 20-Aug-20 17:51:44

A tin of lighter fuel is my go to removal tool for all sticky residue.
Also works for grease stains on clothes....just place a white paper towel behind the stain and run lighter fuel thru the fabric. Then wash as normal.
Also removes permanent marker from any plastic postage bags so they can be reused/rewritten many times.

firdaus19 Fri 21-Aug-20 23:15:35

I keep baking soda in a salt shaker. With my finger (or a cloth, but finger seems to work best) I spread a drop of cooking oil on the gooey spot, sprinkle some baking soda over it, rub and voilà! It's a trick I learned from a life hack video about a year ago and have used many many times since. It works on glass, plastic, cardboard boxes (f.ex. jigsaw puzzle boxes) and - with a little extra care - even on book covers! Today's I removed all traces of a few 'nasty' labels from a book my husband had bought. I highly recommend that method.

JackyB Sat 22-Aug-20 09:00:05

I keep meaning to look up what baking soda is. Is it like bicarb?

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 10:15:51

JackyB I think baking soda is the American name for bicarbonate of soda.
Bicarb.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-Aug-20 11:39:05

Ligher fuel (benzine) applied with a wad of paper will do the trick.