Gransnet forums

Relationships

Long term relationship breaking down

(103 Posts)
janemaca Wed 19-Aug-20 12:09:26

My husband has a really bad temper and mood swings. He loses it at least once a week and I dread what sort of mood he will come home in. He has a very pressured job and works long hours. He also visits the gym, whenever he can snatch time, but does not eat during the day. Iv mentioned that I believe that this "hangry" behaviour may be due to low blood sugar. I have told him I find this behaviour intolerable, also that he needs to cut down on his heavy drinking. He promised some weeks ago that he would change but last week he ruined a dinner by shouting, swearing and binning it all and yesterday shouting, swearing and complaining because dinner would be late, all this in front of house guests. He will make snide and bitchy remarks to.me when he is like this. I cannot stand anymore of his up and down moodiness and have told him, he just replies with "what would you do". He's right, I am in my 60s, not working and no bank account of my own. When he was working part time in lockdown it was better, though he has had these sudden outbursts towards me in the past, even in front of family and friends and it comes out of the blue. I am so sick of it that I retaliate now by shouting back, making my own derogatory comments but this leaves me feeling despondent and shaking. When I look back I think we have always fallen out really badly. I have mentioned counselling but this is not an option for him. When he is in a good mood he will tell me he loves me, I know he is a one woman man, and we get on and have similar interests, that is not a problem. Any advice would be gladly accepted as I just feel very sad right now.

silverlining48 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:36:28

Jane I read your OP where you mentioned a few weeks prior that your H promised to change, yet didn’t, so am wondering how the counselling is going? If it’s going. Trouble is counselling only helps if the person concerned is really committed and from what you have said I am not sure that he is. I wish you well but if things don’t work then you have had a lot of wise advice here. Good luck and if you need to make changes do so.

Redhead56 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:39:12

Medication such as statins can make mood swings worse two people I know have them. I know it's difficult at the present time but try to make space between you when he kicks off. People like that thrive on a row and it will just makes you ill don't rise to the bait. It's not easy but just try it see if it helps.