Gransnet forums

Relationships

Only the Lonely. Inspired by Do People Enjoy Being Alone

(65 Posts)
Notinthemanual Wed 26-Aug-20 07:26:11

Thank you to grantothree for her post. This is a variation on that theme - inviting those who are lonely to join in.

Until a few years ago I enjoyed a broad social life and spending time with my Mum. Back then a site like this wouldn't have crossed my mind. I had all the company I needed. Now except for occasionally bumping into neighbours and brief exchanges with shop staff, this is the only interaction with people I have.

I am defensive about being lonely. I imagine people might be suspicious as to what is wrong with me that makes others steer clear: or that I might be clingy and encroach on the time they spend with existing friends and family. On the other hand, as ungrateful as it sounds, I would not want to be someone's good deed or project. If I am lucky enough to become part of a community again, I would want to be included because I was liked, not pitied.

The sequence of bereavements and breakdown of friendships that led to my loneliness also destroyed my confidence for a while. This year I intended to get out, join clubs: maybe, hopefully become friends with people over time. Well, we all know how that's worked out.

It took some courage to post this. I hope to hear from you.

Anniebach Sat 29-Aug-20 10:24:50

2017 I moved house, two close friends died, one moved away,
My darling daughter died, my three grandchildren moved away straight after her death, my arthritis became much worse
and now I can’t leave my house.

No friends , no family near, since lockdown I don’t even see my physiotherapist,

This is loneliness and not from choice.

BoBo53 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:36:23

Oh my goodness Anniebach! So very sorry for the loss of your daughter and friends and your ill health. Sending love and hugs!

Anniebach Sat 29-Aug-20 13:53:09

Thank you BoBo, yes a lot in 11 months , just explaining some are very lonely because of what life throws at then and
not because they don’t make an effort to do something about
their loneliness, and to pile it on I was widowed very young,
so loneliness is not always a choice

annep1 Sat 29-Aug-20 15:14:03

Anniebach I'm so sorry. You've had so nuch loss to deal with and your illness. I remember you talking about getting a mobility scooter I think? Can you not use it any longer or have I got that wrong? I wish I lived close. We could have a good old debate about you-know-what ?

So many of us lonely in different ways for different reasons. One of my two best friends died two years ago. The other stopped speaking a year ago because of something I said but won't tell me what. (Not so much what I said but how I said it. I'm still none the wiser!) I told her it was childish. We've been friends since we were five.
Its almost impossible to replace best friends. It takes years to build up a good relationship. I do make an effort and in normal times I have fun and chat at classes etc. But its not the same as a close friend who knows you well and with whom you have shared things over many years.
And you only "click" with a few people in life in that way I think.
I so miss the friend who died. We went circle dancing,camping, were on the church committee together and we laughed a lot and were always there for each other.. But I'm so grateful to have had her. I try to be thankful for that.
I rarely see my children but it is what it is.

Rufus2 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:53:50

This is loneliness and not from choice
Annie Sorry to see you still have problems Do you still have Fred? You were about to have confidence-boosting lessons from someone from the Salvos, but then heard no more.
As you may recall, I got hitched to Freda, but we haven't been going out together much, what with Covid and some wintry weather. hmm
Did you manage to work through that agoraphobia info.?
Wishing you Well

Bixiboo Sat 29-Aug-20 22:33:52

So sorry to hear about your situation Anniebach. I think you’re right, life can deal us some terrible blows. Have you thought about contacting Age UK? They offer a befriending service if you’re interested. In the meantime take care, and hope things improve.

Kargento Tue 01-Sep-20 17:39:58

Doing something to help others often reduces loneliness.

Anniebach Tue 01-Sep-20 20:37:44

Supporting my three grandchildren and my son in law coming
to terms with my daughters suicide and trying to help my
grandchildren to separate their mother from her illness is for
me helping others

annep1 Mon 07-Sep-20 16:14:02

Helping others can reduce loneliness Kargento. Although there's not as much opportunity to do so at the moment.
But sometimes after taking care of ourselves and family members what is needed is just a coffee and chat or a walk with a friend.
I have M.E. which is unpredictable. Hence I can't volunteer and making new friends is difficult as when you cancel too often people drift away. Old friends understood.

Fuchsiarose Tue 29-Sep-20 03:47:44

How do we private message someone to ask if they want to be penpals on here?

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 04:04:19

Hello fuschiarose
Go to a message from the person who you want to contact.
Click on the three little pink dots in the bottom right hand corner.
Click on the PM envelope icon.
It will take you to were you can send a message.
The person will receive an email telling them to check their inbox.
They should also get a little bell icon showing on the inbox area.

silverlining48 Tue 29-Sep-20 10:12:39

I have felt lonely too at times but have two new friends on GN, one i have only met in person twice but we keep in touch regularly. She knows who she is, we were in a similar dreadful situation and she gave me kind and generous support after I posted my worries.
The other lives close by which means we can and do meet up for coffee and a good chat and given how hard it can be to make new friends as one gets older, I consider myself lucky as we have become friends.
Why not post in the meetup section of GN suggesting an area to meet and see what response you get, then you have more of a chance of meeting someone nearby. Good luck to you OP and everyone who has responded to your post.

jaylucy Tue 29-Sep-20 10:27:43

Sometimes we need some time on our own to recharge our batteries and get our thoughts in order. Absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO.
The trouble comes when some well meaning family or friends decide that you are "being maudling" that you must be dragged out from - whether you want to be or not!
I have always enjoyed my own company - being the middle one between the "brightest one" (went to Uni, had a decent teaching career) and "the chosen one" (parents chose to have a third child after my grandfather died) , I sort of got used to being the one that was just mediocre in everything that they did and melting into the background!
In fact I found that if I don't have at the very least a few hours completely on my own, my stress levels shoot up!
For those that feel worthless after trying to join groups etc, try volunteering . Doesn't have to be in a charity shop, there's a whole raft of voluntary jobs from helping people to learn IT to becoming a volunteer counselor or working with the CAB, or helping out in a hospital - a lot of volunteer positions are currently being done remotely.

Rufus2 Tue 29-Sep-20 13:00:27

given how hard it can be to make new friends as one gets older
Silverlining Not necessarily! Fuschiarose mentioned "penpals" which is different from face-to-face, which may or maybe not, a good idea.
I live on my own now, not very mobile thanks to Covid, but "me, myself and I" get along quite well, especially with the advent of Zoom!
We have almost daily sessions, mainly around computer related topics/problems and as a bonus there are usually ten very friendly ladies to us two gents. grin
And of course, we also have Gransnet with its equally friendly ladies, or women, as some prefer, so after all that chatting it's nice to have some "me-time' occasionally!
Good Health and Good Luck.
OoRoo