Gransnet forums

Relationships

DiL wants a divorce I’m devastated

(81 Posts)
Granb3 Fri 23-Oct-20 02:06:36

My DiL has told my son she wants a divorce they have 3 babies under 5. He hasn’t cheated, been violent or committed any other act worthy of divorce. He can’t get on with her children, certainly not through a want of trying. They are all adults and live with them. His argument is that they contribute nothing to the household (financialy or physically) and have never treated him with any respect. They are only ever nice to him if they want something. He feels excluded all the time. Whenever he complains to DiL she threatens him with splitting up. He’s desperately unhappy as he’s still in love with her and adores his children. He works really hard as a delivery driver often long hours but comes home cleans and helps with the babies. He’s concerned about her oldest son being in the house all the time, he smokes weed and can’t hold down a job. The other son is under investigation by the police. It doesn’t matter what goes on in the house They are never challenged and their are never any consequences because she’s afraid they will fall out with her. I’m at my wits end all of our family have suggested counselling (she won’t go) my son has seen a councillor who says he is being emotionally abused. I think she doesn’t love him anymore and he’s being pushed out. I’m terrified he will loose his children and I won’t get to see them anymore. He’s exhausted from supporting 4 adults and 3 babies and has been feeling suicidal. He keeps hanging on and provided he toes the line and doesn’t complain He says it’s doable. They had an argument and she now says she wants a divorce.
He’s in absolute pieces and has spent a few days with us. My OH just wants him to leave her and get out. Her other Ex’s didn’t see her children after they split up. I have loved my DiL and always wanted to be friends but she keeps me at arms length and I’m afraid to say anything to her in case we row and she doesn’t let me see the children. I’m also afraid that if I open my mouth I won’t stop! I’m heart broken and afraid for my sons life

Hithere Mon 26-Oct-20 17:18:37

Summerlove
angrysad

Summerlove Mon 26-Oct-20 20:26:27

Horrifying but true.
It’s a mans world and too many women like it that way to make a change

Iam64 Tue 27-Oct-20 08:12:16

Summerlove - you are right, women need to stand together x

OceanMama Tue 27-Oct-20 09:19:23

Your son is responsible for his own contraception, whether or not the woman says she is using any. He's just as responsible for those children as she is.

Pumpkinpie Fri 06-Nov-20 12:29:02

His penis his choice where he puts it
I think your interfering is making the situation worse. They need to resolve it not you
He chose not to use contraception excusing him by saying he’s only human - ridiculous