Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sulky husband.

(84 Posts)
aly Fri 27-Nov-20 21:27:19

My DH has been diagnosed with glaucoma and for the past 2 weeks he has spoken of nothing else. You will think me heartless, but when he again mentioned whether he would need to inform his insurance company, something we have discussed countless times, I rolled my eyes. He has immediately gone into a sulk and has not spoken to me all day, I did apologise but to no avail. How would you cope with this.

phoenix Sat 28-Nov-20 19:23:22

Toadinthehole

Now that rings a bell!

Exdh grr! If I had a cold, he had flu, if I had a cough, he had bronchitis!

I think it must have really pissed him off that he couldn't have period pains

Rendella Sat 28-Nov-20 21:09:07

I recognise this behaviour. My DH can take ages to make the simplest of statements. How to use 100 words when 2 or 3 will do!

Justwidowed Sat 28-Nov-20 21:16:03

My husband was diagnosed with glaucoma 35 years ago. He put drops in his eyes for 30 years and then on his annual visit to the glaucoma clinic he was told that new equipment showed he had a thick cornea and never had glaucoma but still had a follow up appointment every year but no more eye drops. He could sulk but not for too long especially if a meal was due.I wish he was back with me now,sulking or not.

Joesoap Sat 28-Nov-20 21:26:44

Mine doesn’t sulk but loves to tell everyone about his medical history so much so I often feel I am going mad hearing this first and numerous times after I know it inside out and have asked if he has told everyone because I have really heard it too often. It’s fine for a while then he has forgotten to tell someone so on the phone he goes! Most things he tells people are just his latest annual examination his cholesterol levels etc. Fascinated for everyone first time round !

bikergran Sat 28-Nov-20 21:59:00

I am sure if I was diagnosed with it, I would be scared stiff, worried and of course frightened I will go blind.

Schumee Sun 29-Nov-20 08:27:54

My late partner started to complain about backache 2 years ago and talked of nothing else but refused to go to the doctor. I tried to persuade him to see someone and was accused of going on about it and he would stop speaking to me. He was the same when I tried to talk to him about giving up smoking as he had a previous heart attack and clot on his lung. Again he would fly off the handle and sulk. Sadly the backache was the first sign of Lung Cancer which he died of 18 months ago. Unfortunately although I loved him to the end I stopped "caring" as worrying about him was making me ill and I had to switch off for my own sanity.

cc Sun 29-Nov-20 09:25:51

@Spec1alk yes that would be wonderful, they'd have the pleasure of prattling away to each other and spare us the pain.... (Here its typically on the topics of Boris, awful ministers and the Dame who runs Track and Trace at the moment).

Puzzled Mon 30-Nov-20 16:28:06

The poor man is probably terrified.
He imagines that he is going to have to stop driving and doing all sorts of things that are dear to him but require good eyesight. No wonder that it is his one preoccupation.
He sulks because he does not want to confront his fears.
Try to allay them, (Don't be surprised at him not believing you) so that you can find your way through this TOGETHER.
It may be difficult, but support and communication will help both of you. He must not feel that he is on his own with this.