Gransnet forums

Relationships

stepson

(35 Posts)
Willow73 Fri 25-Dec-20 18:36:43

My husbands son cut himself off from his father and all my side of the family, changed phone number, deleted facebook and we had no way of contact him. His mum said my husband wasn't there for him when he needed his father. We knew nothing, not what we had done or what had happen no one told us. After 2 years he has just text saying he would not live in the past but was upset that dad wasn't there when he needed him. Now wants to see his dad . No thought over 2 years of what dad was feeling, or going through 2 birthdays and no thing heard from him. Husband now going to see him and accept him back, should I do the same? I feel nothing towards him but anger. Advice please.

harrysgran Mon 28-Dec-20 10:18:09

You need to step back its not your call as already has been said he was his father before you came along an angry step mother is the last thing your husband or his son need to reconcile

Alexa Mon 28-Dec-20 11:19:02

Willow, there may be a reconciliation. I think you can give yourself permission to hope for a reconciliation.

lemsip Mon 28-Dec-20 11:23:26

I agreee with harrygran's comment! not your call!

Jusu48 Sun 03-Jan-21 18:11:02

I know exactly how you feel. My step daughter has done and said unbelievable things to her father over the past 16 years. I have always asked my husband what he feels and support him in his decisions. I give my opinions when asked by him. At the end of the day she is his child and he has to live with himself.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Jan-21 18:18:42

My sentiments too Eloethan.

PollyDolly Sun 03-Jan-21 18:28:20

Give them time and space, after all you don't know just what poison the sons birth mother has dripped into his ear about his dad!
Ex - wives can be manipulative, I know, my OH has one and she won't let their son have anything to do with his dad - the son is 44, weak and spineless and being bank rolled by his mother!

wildswan16 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:17:54

He may be a very brave young man - willing to accept that he made a mistake (possibly influenced by others). Of course you should give him a chance, support your husband in his decisions and welcome his son into your family.

Maybe it will work out well, maybe not - but an opportunity not to be missed.

Alexa Sun 03-Jan-21 22:44:22

As the second wife, you would say that PollyDolly. I bet the first wife is otherwise biased.

PollyDolly Mon 04-Jan-21 08:09:15

Alexa, I am not at all biased, more realistic and supportive; I was simply stating fact and pointing out to the OP what might be the case with her step son.