Gransnet forums

Relationships

Articles from MIL’s house

(81 Posts)
Coco1 Fri 08-Jan-21 18:10:38

My MIL a lovely lady has passed away and my DH wants to bring a lot of stuff to our house - photos , books and other artefacts. My problem is I don’t mind the photos being in a box in the loft but I don’t want all this stuff in our house. He is very sentimental and also a hoarder big time whereas I veer towards a much more clean look. I don’t want keep arguing - we’ve already done lots of that but I feel unhappy about the situation and have told him . He is generally a reasonable person but the hoarding thing is a big irritant to me. Have any of you had similar problems?

highlanddreams Sat 09-Jan-21 10:14:14

as others have said find or make a space that he can use for his memories & treasured items that you don't ever have to deal with but also have one or two things around in your daily living areas, after all it's his home too.

Gwiz5 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:34:25

Growing up I was a military brat so my parents had no room to keep anything from my childhood. I didn’t keep much from my own kids , a million photos and certificates but they aren’t that concerned about those certs.
My own loft is full of things but mostly it’s my ‘ I’m not a hoarder ‘ husbands !
I do have a lot of clothes and shoes but nothing else that another person wouldn’t have. If he is he’ll bent on keeping them why not suggest him paying for storage rental where it’s safe and dry and secure ... that way you could have a jolly good clear out and store ‘ precious ‘ things . It’s a win win

elleks Sat 09-Jan-21 10:42:39

Lucca

One of the reasons I like living alone is that I no longer have to throw things away under cover of darkness I.e. when husband was away for work. “It might come in handy “
He stayed in many hotels as a sales rep and brought home every single free soap shampoo etc . We had bags and bags full. I am not the tidiest of women but I don’t hoard clutter !!
You have my sympathy but no solution!

Each time we moved house I disposed of a load of "might be useful" stuff. He never missed it, and had probably forgotten about it. Can he rent a storage locker to keep it in? If he has to pay for storage, he might discover he doesn't want to keep it after all (or not all of it anyway)

Caro57 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:43:07

One thing in for one thing out. It’s probably part grieving but the behaviour could also be a sign of mental illness that is treatable

Copes283 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:47:39

I have a confession, I am the hoarder! But my DH has been patient with me and when I kept my late DF's checked cotton shirts, he thought I'd lost the plot! However, my DM, my DS and various GC have or will have, memory bears made from the fabric. I love doing this and know he would have approved. They seem to have been well received. Maybe a little lateral thinking might help?!

Teacheranne Sat 09-Jan-21 10:54:24

I am very ruthless about not keeping things, I think it goes back to moving house five times in eight years when I was first married. Our rule was, anything that was still in a bad from the last move, did not get taken to the new house! There were one or two exceptions but not many.

We’ve just had to empty my mums house after she went in a care home so that we can rent it out. I offered to store some small items mainly because my sister in the US cannot get here to choose a few things for her to keep. But we still filled two skips of household items which none of us wanted, although quite a lot was removed by skip divers overnight!

It was emotionally very hard and every now and again I think about something we threw away and have slight regrets..

Nanananana1 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:55:04

For years I worked with people who needed to declutter their homes, for many different reasons, divorce, moving house, downsizing or just because living in chaos had become too much. I am afraid that actual 'hoarding' is a genuine and all too real problem that can only get worse if not tackled. It is the hoarder who needs to firstly, acknowledge that it is their problem and secondly to begin the long, slow process of letting go for themselves. Simply 'tidying up' a hoarder doesn't work. However there are people who don't know how to keep tidy. My son has difficulty organising his life. Simple 'how-to' lessons work well here. Hoarding or being attached to objects is a condition where everything has meaning and is considered to be important or necessary. People do try the 'one-in, one-out rule', the 'keep it in you own space' rule and sometimes it works, it gives structure to someone who feels chaotic. But actual hoarding is a mental health issue where the person may need outside help to deal with inner problems. Getting your DH to ADMIT it is a problem is your goal! All that said, it is his home too and maybe he just wants it to feel that way by surrounding himself with familiar things while he is grieving. His things are his comfort blanket, for now

Teacheranne Sat 09-Jan-21 10:55:17

Correction “ still in a box”

Tree58 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:56:23

My husband was the same when his mum died 5 years ago. Due to his grief and sentimentality we brought boxes of stuff home. Over the years we have let go of much of it. He wanted to look through things and remember the happy times as much as anything. We now just have a couple of items of furniture, a tea service and bits and bobs around the house.

Be patient with your husband. He needs time to adjust. Maybe suggest he takes photos of the things he likes, that you really don’t have room for, and makes a memory album. You can order professionally made ones online very cheaply.

Roxie62 Sat 09-Jan-21 10:57:26

My DH is the same. He is very into history so I have war memorabilia around the house which I hope eventually he will transfer to our spare room. We have flags,helmets the lot. At first I got really annoyed about the amount of stuff he was buying in ebay but as per another post its his house as well and we are healthy and happy so I grin and bear it. My clothes and shoes are another matter. smile

Sweetchile Sat 09-Jan-21 10:59:40

He's not ready to say goodbye. I brought so much stuff back when I lost my M but am gradually letting go of it

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 09-Jan-21 11:03:07

My DH is a dreadful hoarder, anything that came fromhis home before we married - not to be touched (we have been married nearly 51 years). His record cabinet full of record which he won't play or get rid of, when we move house the house has to have a lounge large enough for his parents 2 piece suite. He regards the floors as his filing cabinets (ignore my filing cabinet which I made room for his stuff in. I've got to the stage I ignore it for my own sanity!

Grandchildren2 Sat 09-Jan-21 11:05:33

Dear Cocol, You only have to watch the Repair Shop to see how items from the past provide so much meaning to people. Are you able to discuss why they are so important to him and agree a compromise? You say he is usually reasonable.

Santana Sat 09-Jan-21 11:09:04

When my MIL moved into a home, and her house had to be sold, there were lots of photos, all with dates written on the back and who the people were.
She had vascular dementia and didn't want any kind of photo near her, which was very sad.
So I went through the photos, throwing out duplicates, and those that had no people in. Then whittled them down to give a story of her an FIL's lives. I made up a few albums, which came out at her wake, and were much enjoyed.
I think she would have approved.

Skweek1 Sat 09-Jan-21 11:11:53

DH is a terrible hoarder and keeps buying (DH, DS and I are all book collectors with no space anywhere and not enough bookshelves). I regularly start a serious declutter, but am over-ruled, but new year's resolution is to complete serious declutter - Marie Kondo points out that this can take 6 months out of the rest of one's life. MIL is 88 and when she goes, we will inherit her house and possessions, (including yet more books!) but I'm absolutely determined that whether we stay in our council house and let her house, or whether we move into hers, we will have to go minimalist!

Welshwife Sat 09-Jan-21 11:35:26

One thing I would say is to try and find sonewhere else for the photographs other than the loft or a shed- if they get damp at all the photos tend to stuck together and are ruined.
My father had at one time been a professional photographer and had a few shoe boxes of photos he had taken which were stored in the bottom of their big wardrobe. As a child I spent many an hour in there looking at these photos. He had one of the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) on Jersey which he had taken.
When he was about 80 he had a few TIAs and mostly recovered from them but he did then do strange things and we think during one of these spells he burnt all the photos plus far more recent ones of family gatherings and their golden wedding. That was a source of sorrow but I think to this day my sister thinks I have the golden wedding ones but I am not guilty!

4allweknow Sat 09-Jan-21 11:54:03

Do you have family? With DH knowledge ask them what they will do with all the hoarded stuff once you are both gone or even if home is sold for care purposes. We carded 50 years if stuff around until 11 years ago when family were asked to go and rummage at their own stuff in the attic to see what they wanted to take away or throw out. Had had also sorted out stuff regarded as worthwhile keeping and asked if they thought they would be interested in any if it. Basically a big No. Most went in a skip. Your DH should consider what will happen when he isn't here so why hold onto it all now. Sometimes think people who hoard have some kind of insecurity about letting go of emotions. Your DH needs a big shed!

GreyKnitter Sat 09-Jan-21 12:10:18

My husband is a bit of a hoarder too - he goes by the rule that it might come in useful! He has lots of things from his early and professional life which are of no interest to anyone else but when his parents died he kept nothing. I’m somewhere on the fence. I have a few things of sentimental value from my early life but kept quite few bits from my parents - lots of photos which I’ve annotated and out into albums and a few special items like a Father Christmas model they had - still very presentable. I guess we all cherish different things.

Floriel Sat 09-Jan-21 12:21:04

I sympathise! Hoarding seems to run in my in-laws genes, and I’m not Marie Kondo by any means. When my MIL died it took weeks to clear out the house and loads of stuff was professionally stored pro tem which cost quite a lot of money, only to be thrown out eventually. It was a depressing time and I’m determined my children won’t have the same melancholy duty. You don’t mention the next generation, but if you have children, could you point out gently how depressing and time consuming it will be for them one day?

Floriel Sat 09-Jan-21 12:27:08

Forgot to say, the Swedish have a word, Dostadning, which means death cleaning, literally tidying things up for the next generation. It sounds very thoughtful to me.

nannyof4 Sat 09-Jan-21 12:37:22

I have kept all my special cards threw the years in a suitcase out of the way,one day my family will see them as i have kept cards they gave me as children and hope they may take them rather than throw them away.

tigger Sat 09-Jan-21 12:50:30

I have the same problem and have still got MIL stuff since she dies 11 years ago. He will forget what he has so keep chipping away boxing stuff up and putting in the roof. Be discreet, little by little until it reaches a stage you can put up with.

icanhandthemback Sat 09-Jan-21 13:02:43

I get your angst about this, I really do because my husband was the same. However, somebody at the time pointed out that he was already dealing with the loss of his Mum and he wasn't ready to part with all her things too. It took him about 12 months to put his childhood home on the market and right up to the last minute, he wasn't sure he wanted to sell it. He brought loads of things back to our house when it finally sold but over the years, he has gradually agreed that there are somethings just not worth keeping and we have sold others. We still have a way to go but but I would like to think that in similar circumstances he would be understanding about my Mum's stuff. Believe you me, we'll have so much to regime after she goes because she is a real hoarder!

SewnSew Sat 09-Jan-21 13:12:35

I'm another army brat, so only keep things I actually use, plus a couple of things of my mother's. But my DH is definitely one for keeping things 'in case they come in useful'. I now refuse to even try and clean his bedroom or his study - both of which are very dusty right now. Every now and then I take everything off his shelves and pile it on his bed and give him the duster!
On another topic, if I may, I note that a couple of GNs have mentioned the possibility of renting out houses. I have been a landlord for many years and would happily give information and advice if anyone would like them. It is not a simple business these days as there are very many rules and regulations.

suan1 Sat 09-Jan-21 13:20:14

My OH is also a hoarder. We had a considerable problem when we cleared our parents' houses out and they didn't have much. I said it wasn't fair on our daughter having to go through all our things when the time came as we had twice as much and it was time consuming, plus she would just bin it and probably throw away valuable stuff which we would have been appalled at.

We started selling things on eBay and up to now have raise over £5500. Anything that has been put aside "just in case" has now been thrown or sold and if a"just in case" moment came about could be bought from the eBay money.

A word of warning though eBay can be quite addictive!