Gransnet forums

Relationships

Articles from MIL’s house

(81 Posts)
Coco1 Fri 08-Jan-21 18:10:38

My MIL a lovely lady has passed away and my DH wants to bring a lot of stuff to our house - photos , books and other artefacts. My problem is I don’t mind the photos being in a box in the loft but I don’t want all this stuff in our house. He is very sentimental and also a hoarder big time whereas I veer towards a much more clean look. I don’t want keep arguing - we’ve already done lots of that but I feel unhappy about the situation and have told him . He is generally a reasonable person but the hoarding thing is a big irritant to me. Have any of you had similar problems?

GreenGran78 Sat 09-Jan-21 20:33:39

My friend was dreading clearing her uncle’s house after he died. She knew that he was a hoarder, and spent a lot of his spare time trawling car boot sales and auctions, so was expecting to find rooms full of junk.
Imagine her surprise to find drawers and cupboards full of watches and jewellery, some of it very valuable. It has been a huge job to sort it, get it all valued, and dispose of most of it. She has finally ended up with a few very special jewellery momentos, and a very healthy bank balance!

ChrisK Sat 09-Jan-21 20:58:23

Hi, yes we have over many years inherited things sentimental and practical, but have gradually pared it down until it is mainly manageable, but it is difficult. Also DH has collected a large amount of china over many years plus other things our AC have no interest in so he is gradually selling them off on the net, we have had the pleasure of looking at them over many years and have acted as their custodians over this time, they have been loved and cherished so he looks on it as passing them on to those who will get pleasure from them we are reaping the rewards financially.

Classic Sun 10-Jan-21 13:31:39

My brother and mother died and I have finished emptying brothers house, mothers is ongoing. I brought back a lot of stuff from brothers house, to sort, I sold and gave away most of it, and put a box in the loft for important documents letters and photos. I still have useful things like tools and a hoover, but gradually things are going. My husband is a hoarder, though he doesn't see it, he still has stuff that was his mothers, sewing machine lamps clocks plates etc from 30 years ago, I don't complain about those, 10 picnik baskets, 6 king size quilts, pictures that have never and will never be hung, mugs and kitchen ware, books bought from charity shops and never read (he's not a reader) enough Xmas decorations for a dozen trees, do bother me, but not as much as the stuff he pulls out of skips because it might be useful one day bothers me even more. I recently heard him tell his brother that he can't get his car in the garage due to my brothers stuff being in there, the truth is the stuff for the charity shop is sat there waiting for shops to reopen, but he can't get his car in because the door is barackaded with 'stuff' he has brought home and at least 3 awnings for his campervan, tool boxes old chest of drawers etc.

Nanananana1 Sun 10-Jan-21 14:01:29

You are right Floriel, about the word "Dostadning' and a lovely book called "The Gentle Art Of Swedish Death Cleaning: How To Free Yourself and Your Family From A Lifetime Of Clutter" by Margareta Magnusson. It is kind and gentle read and by a woman who is in her later years, left alone and having to clear her home ready for the next generation. Not at all judgmental and full of really useful ideas. I recommend it for encouragement and support during a difficult time

melp1 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:40:37

We're in the process of moving at the moment after 43 years here. Both in our late 60's. The task of clearing the shed and garage has been left to my hubby, can't believe the amount of stuff he's packed to come with us most that I don't think he's used in years. I'm trying to clear the loft and had a few boxes to go to the charity shop he keeps taking out books (bearing in mind they've been in the loft for years and he's never even looked at them) he's going through everything.
I have 1 box of mementos (pictures, cards and things related to our sons that I want to keep).
Getting really worried that as we're downsizing we're going to be buried in stuff.