Gransnet forums

Relationships

Lockdown Marriage/relationshi ps...be honest, be brave.

(104 Posts)
Spiritof67 Wed 20-Jan-21 19:26:45

Hello All....I’ve been reading a few posts on the forum about relationships/marriages during lockdown....I thought I would share my own experiences. My wife is 50, I’m 54, I have a son who is 27 (who has twin boys) from a long ago relationship, my wife is childfree....we have been married eight years, our second marriages respectively......
We “bumble along nicely”, nice standard of living, both employed,couple of holidays a year (nothing exotic) a very mediocre sex life (mutually guilty !)...just your average couple.....
When the first lockdown occurred....it became very obvious that there was tension in the air, we were not bumbling along nicely in each other’s company all the time....I’m in construction & she is in banking, so we are always out of the house during the day and also had individual hobbies....
Tensions were brewing & niggles were occurring....this continued to escalate as the year wore on.....
It came to a head and a big dose of Honesty was needed from both of us. The reality was “we didn’t really like each other all that much !”
Some very honest and Frank conversations were had, that needed to be had & a re-evaluation of where we both wanted to go in our lives. Fortunately we were both on the same wavelength and although it might seem irrational to the outside we agreed (mutually) to separate for own respective happiness & well being....what does the song say “if you love someone, set them free”
It might seem a bit radical, but we are both now busily buying new properties, going through a divorce settlement & excitedly buying new things for our new houses.
Currently still living in the same house (separately) and behaving like adults...that have just taken stock of things & been BRAVE.
The point of this post is.....if you are not happy, then be brave and move on....we’re not here for a long time, we are here for a good time ! I’m sure we have all had friends pass away before their time and we have thought “bloody hell” that could have been me !
I’m no psychologist, just a normal Joe in his 50’s, that is in the fortunate position of living with an honest woman that felt the same.....
If you are feeling the same as me, be brave & have the conversation....you never know what the outcome might be.......it feels very cathartic

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 07:12:40

I doubt he’d be on GN looking for love, he’s only 54! most of us are in our 70’s. ?

tanith Thu 21-Jan-21 08:09:02

Spiritof67 I so wish my first marriage had ended in such a way but it didn’t and that was so sad after all we had once been good friends. So well done you and your wife for ending a sad situation amicably. Good luck.
I can’t believe people are so mean spirited on here? but then again ?

sodapop Thu 21-Jan-21 08:47:51

Good luck for the future to you and your wife Spiritof67 it's good you were able to sort things out so amicably. Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky, at least there is one positive story to show it can be done.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 21-Jan-21 08:49:56

I think you’ve pointed out that it can be done, yes, by you, but for everyone, like anything else in life, is unrealistic. I can see how you’ve tried to project your positivity, and that’s good, and hope it continues to work well, but you were only married a short time, no kids together, still young, no health problems. A very different ball game to how many would be.

Gingster Thu 21-Jan-21 09:11:34

Both of you on second marriages. 8 years so it didn’t last long. How long til the next one becomes boring and you want to move on again. You were ok until lockdown. Well everyone is bored and fed up. We don’t all just jump ship! I hope it all works out for you but the grass isnt always greener!

Chewbacca Thu 21-Jan-21 09:18:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes a deleted post.

David0205 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:27:01

It’s rose colored spectacles if it is thought that amicable separations happen very often, no problem if it’s a short term marriage, no children, no affairs, no abuse, plenty of cash.

The reality is that one or other partner is aggrieved in some way and there is not enough cash for both to carry on a similar lifestyle. Very often both are left struggling

Nonogran Thu 21-Jan-21 09:30:02

I can understand everything you say Spirito. I/we did almost exactly the same thing when our daughter was a late teen . However we did wait 12 years before we divorced! In my opinion this enabled a lot of anger & distrust to dissolve between us. I then grasped the nettle & did the divorce papers through the court my self. Was cheaper & worked well because everything was sorted out between us after all those years. We remained in touch throughout & right up until he passed away 6 years ago. Every case is different & I understand where other contributors are coming from but from my perspective, it's interesting to know how others have put their lives in order. I got to a stage where I would rather sleep in a cardboard box in a doorway than live another minute with a selfish, self centred man. Thank you for contributing and for the insight you've given. I felt the fear and did it anyway.

Smileless2012 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:31:53

Good for you and your soon to be ex wife Spiritof67. It's a shame you've received some negative and rather nasty responses to your positive posts.

My parents divorced when I was a teenager and it was really horrible; so much nastiness.

A couple of years later my aunt and uncle broke up and the difference was amazing. They were just like you are, everything amicably agreed and the entire process so much better for my cousins.

My uncle would always pop round to my aunt's house, to carry out small repairs and do jobs that she couldn't do herself to save her from the expense of paying someone else to do them for her.

It is possible to achieve an amicable break up regardless of the length of the marriage as you and they showed.

Luckygirl Thu 21-Jan-21 09:41:47

It is not as easy as our OP is saying - I am glad that he has worked out a way forward for himself and his wife, but he is clearly in privileged circumstances, having sufficient equity on the house for them both to acquire reasonable homes for each. Many are not like this, or have children.

I also think it is about expectations. He clearly had a happy relationship with his wife until he started to scrutinise it in detail and decided he wanted something better - in what way better I wonder.

I have found that one of the most important lessons in life is to accept that perfection (in any sphere of life) is not how the world works. And that pursuing this relentlessly is the road to unhappiness.

Many couples from middle age onwards rub along together nicely - not suffused with wild passion, but finding peace in their later years in shared memories and mutual support. If that is not for you OP then that is fine; but those who do regard that as satisfactory find their happiness in other ways, and encouragement to part because it can be done will not add to the sum of human happiness.

It may not be absence of bravery on their part, but simply a realistic view of life and all its imperfections. Good for them I say.

eazybee Thu 21-Jan-21 09:42:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jan-21 09:47:16

There is absolutely no reason why anyone can't chat on here!! angry

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 09:48:09

Tbh, I think a lot of long term relationships end up a bit like ‘flat mates’ just bumbling along fairly amicably - not much wrong with that actually.
I think if you’re looking for passion & excitement then it’s probably best to split as you’ll never be content.
Quite honestly, at my age, I’m just happy with a cup of tea & Coronation St.

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 09:50:46

54 is not exactly young.
More than old enough to be on GN.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jan-21 09:52:36

It's because it's a man. (Eeeeeek!!!)

Nanna58 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:53:46

Kandinsky- “ 54 is not exactly young” - you’ve really made me feel my age!! ?

Lucca Thu 21-Jan-21 09:54:14

Gingster

Both of you on second marriages. 8 years so it didn’t last long. How long til the next one becomes boring and you want to move on again. You were ok until lockdown. Well everyone is bored and fed up. We don’t all just jump ship! I hope it all works out for you but the grass isnt always greener!

What is the matter with everyone? Life is way way too short to stay in a relationship that doesn’t work when ending it harms nobody. Such holier than thou comments.

Galaxy Thu 21-Jan-21 09:54:22

No that's not why. It's because it comes across as fairly patronising.

Casdon Thu 21-Jan-21 09:54:59

And a grandfather - I didn’t understand the point that was being made?

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jan-21 09:55:18

Like many, many of the things that are written on here..

Lucca Thu 21-Jan-21 09:55:32

Message deleted by Gransnet as it quotes a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 09:55:45

Sorry Nanna58 ?

Spiritof67 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:55:48

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jan-21 09:56:35

Too bloody true it does.
Carry on regardless.

Kandinsky Thu 21-Jan-21 09:58:32

54 is not young to be on GN no, but as MissAdventure said, it’s because it’s a man

< clutches pearls >