Gransnet forums

Relationships

Roommate relationship

(128 Posts)
Uptodate Tue 26-Jan-21 03:00:56

Me and my partner have been together over 30 years, I'm 57 he's 61. For the last 3 years we have slept in separate rooms and physical contact consists of a peck on the cheek when we go to bed. I don't miss the actual having sex and apparently neither does he but I just feel like we are together out of convenience. We get along ok and he's a good bloke but I sometimes wonder what was the point of the last 30 years to just end up in a relationship where you are only there because you are. Don't get me wrong this has nothing to do with me wanting anybody else I'm ok on my own which is how I've felt pretty much for the last few years. I just feel like we're plodding along,going through the motions of day to day life but he seems to act as though everything is hunky dory, although I can't believe he really thinks that. Ithink what I'm trying to say is that I just feel really sad that our relationship has gone down this path and I know there's no going back because it's been to long, which is both our faults. I just wondered if anybody else was in this position and how do you feel? Ramble over.

Mel2137 Wed 10-Feb-21 07:55:55

Many of these posts reflect my relationship. I wish I'd left years ago, when my partner was young enough to start again.
I suggested counseling for us but he wouldn't go. I wish I had insisted.
Your husband still asks for hugs occasionally which is a good sign. Going to a relationship counsellor would really help you (both) decide what you want and maybe find a way back. Resentments of past hurts fester if you don't get a chance to air them properly. Counseling can help. I wish you luck.

Lilith Sun 14-Mar-21 10:58:32

Apologies this rambles on an on an on ;-)
Relationships are sooo diverse within all societies/cultures whatever sexual orientation... I think we tend to believe that there is a perfect 'form' of relationship between couples, I believe that relationships are complex and ever-changing, surely its impossible to retain the sameness throughout cos we are ever-changing beings whose experiences impact our lives and hence our behaviours. Like our younger folk 'hit' daily on how they should look/behave/eat/be slim/fit/find a mate etc. we oldees too are 'hit' by images of 'Jane Fonda/Joan Collins types' and receive just as many messages telling us there is an ideal look, ideal behaviours, and an ideal 'normal' relationship 'model'. In my experience there is no ideal look, cos I am aware of the reconstructions these 'ideal types' go through under the knife and many 'other' procedures, moreover there is no ideal relationship in any culture or society, there is an ideal type 'model', that we unrealistically believe is the norm but it fails, cos we humans are many and varied, not unlike pebbles on a beach. I believe we oft struggle in our couple relationships because we strive to attain the impossible... we must talk more to each other, and most importantly actively listen. I too oft get swayed by the youthful-looking oldees and their lives and A Mazing 'good looks' and 'figures' and wardrobes and oh sooo pristine houses and spouses and it makes me sad that I do, knowing its all sooo not 'real' however I would say that we need to 'get real' and reflect and realise that we are not what we were, we are what we are now!!! I believe the answer is talk more, listen actively, share your needs/wants/desires and respect yourself. Ramblings End :-)