Gransnet forums

Relationships

This is freaking me out - relative claiming she has second sight

(91 Posts)
B9exchange Mon 08-Feb-21 14:20:51

To try and explain, I found a distant relative in the USA and went over to visit her a few years ago. She gave us a lovely time, all seemed fine, and we continued to correspond.

She fell for a rather unsuitable truck driver who was on drugs, and eventually when she found out she had the sense to kick him out. He was found dead in his truck having a couple of days later, taken an overdose. This was about three years ago. Ever since that time she has been convinced that he is speaking to her, and has he has become an angel in her eyes. She was due to come and stay with us and we planned we would show her the sights last October, obviously cancelled.

In an email last Autumn, she wrote that this now deceased chap was telling her that in January 2021 she would meet a new lifetime partner and gave the same Christian name as himself. He also told her that Donald Trump would be assassinated in February at his Mar a Lago golf club.

This week I had another email telling me that her life partner had turned up in January as exactly as her late boyfriend had predicted, and that the new partner had an enormous house with 5 bathrooms and its own private cinema, which she would be moving into next month.

That has freaked me out, wondering if her prediction about Trump will also come true. I can't stand the man, but I wouldn't wish anyone dead, and if it happened as she said, I would feel very uncomfortable with her coming to see us later this year (also predicted, apparently!)

I don't know how to reply to her latest email, obviously I need to wish her new relationship well, but the thought of having a medium in my house later this year is making me very uncomfortable, I was always brought up to have nothing at all to do with the occult. It may be that CV-19 will delay things, but I can't put her off for ever! What would your reaction be?

moorlikeit Tue 09-Feb-21 12:36:46

I don't for one minute believe that Trump will be assassinated. The reason? The people most likely to assassinate anyone in the US are Trump supporters!

Nanananana1 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:21:11

What complete nonsense! Of course people can't predict the future. We can all take a wild guess of course and many of us might be right but many more won't be. Your friend is in need of some counselling and support for her behaviour as she is obviously not coping well with the real world. Delusional maybe? It is an actual mental health issue. Step well back and say you think she needs help, the more people who 'believe' will only encourage her strangeness
As an aside I used to go to a group course (work related) where a woman claimed to be a 'white witch'. Of course everyone was fascinated but it only fuelled her oddness. It made her feel special, one-of-a-kind and the centre of attention. If that was her intention it worked well for her but many would not go along with the charade and she became quite belligerent!

chazwin Tue 09-Feb-21 12:17:35

B9exchange

To try and explain, I found a distant relative in the USA and went over to visit her a few years ago. She gave us a lovely time, all seemed fine, and we continued to correspond.

She fell for a rather unsuitable truck driver who was on drugs, and eventually when she found out she had the sense to kick him out. He was found dead in his truck having a couple of days later, taken an overdose. This was about three years ago. Ever since that time she has been convinced that he is speaking to her, and has he has become an angel in her eyes. She was due to come and stay with us and we planned we would show her the sights last October, obviously cancelled.

In an email last Autumn, she wrote that this now deceased chap was telling her that in January 2021 she would meet a new lifetime partner and gave the same Christian name as himself. He also told her that Donald Trump would be assassinated in February at his Mar a Lago golf club.

This week I had another email telling me that her life partner had turned up in January as exactly as her late boyfriend had predicted, and that the new partner had an enormous house with 5 bathrooms and its own private cinema, which she would be moving into next month.

That has freaked me out, wondering if her prediction about Trump will also come true. I can't stand the man, but I wouldn't wish anyone dead, and if it happened as she said, I would feel very uncomfortable with her coming to see us later this year (also predicted, apparently!)

I don't know how to reply to her latest email, obviously I need to wish her new relationship well, but the thought of having a medium in my house later this year is making me very uncomfortable, I was always brought up to have nothing at all to do with the occult. It may be that CV-19 will delay things, but I can't put her off for ever! What would your reaction be?

No prediction has come true.
NONE
She dreamed up a "prediction" and chose a person to make it appear to come true.
The likelyhood that someone want to kill Trump is high.
I seriously doubt that would come to pass.
The woman is obviously bonkers and I would advice you to break off all contact.
Life is too short to spend time with dangerous people.

chazwin Tue 09-Feb-21 12:16:15

Poppyred

She’s not wasting any time is she?? ??. Sorry I don’t have any constructive advice.

No prediction has come true.
She dreamed up a "prediction" and chose a person to make it appear to come true.
The likelyhood that someone want to kill Trump is high.
I seriously doubt that would come to pass.
The woman is obviously bonkers and I would advice you to break off all contact.
Life is too short to spend time with dangerous people.

Bridgeit Tue 09-Feb-21 12:09:27

Just don’t reply, you really don’t need to, I may sound a bit harsh ,but you need to protect & look after yourself. Best wishes

Silverlady333 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:04:43

Mmmm I would be wondering if she had been participating in any of the drugs the late boyfriend had left behind?

icanhandthemback Tue 09-Feb-21 12:04:42

It all sounds a bit of a mountain out of a molehill to me. Lots of people believe they have second sight and to me, it just means that they are trying to make themselves feel a bit special. I feel rather sorry for your relative. Like a lot of people, she is trying to make what has been projected for her, come true. That means if she has met a man who fulfils that projection, she will be blind to any warning signs that he relationship isn't right...just like she was to the last relationship.
Personally, I would say that she was welcome to come to stay but you don't feel comfortable to have a man to stay that she hasn't known for very long either. You can say that you feel rather uncomfortable about her newly found skills at communicating with her dead partner which doesn't feel healthy for her so perhaps she could avoid talking about that when she stays. If she takes offence, she obviously isn't going to be a good fit in your life so it will be better for you to know now.

Tanjamaltija Tue 09-Feb-21 11:52:28

I can send you pictures the rooms of a villa halfway across the world... it won't mean I've been there. I think the guy's death affected her badly.

4allweknow Tue 09-Feb-21 11:39:31

You have seen photos of the house, have you seen photos of the guy and are these taken in the new house with her too? Seems just a bit strange for her to have had a relationship with a drug user and then someone who is so different. Can happen I know. Some Americans are really in to religion, some obsessively. Perhaps your relative is the same with her beliefs of future telling. Ask her why she thinks her ex is telling her all those things when she can do nothing about them. Has she informed the authorities about the Trump threat. Being an upstanding citizen and knowing her info to be accurate she surely will have. Think this person is unwell probably feeling guilt relating to her ex's death.

BusterTank Tue 09-Feb-21 11:38:29

I would say o what a coincidence and not embellish on it anymore . Just speak to her about the weather and general chit chat . If she does have the gift of speaking to do the dead , it would make no difference having her in your home . Just tell her politely you have no interest in this subject and would rather not talk about . At the end of the day she is the same person.

Aepgirl Tue 09-Feb-21 11:34:58

I’d cut myself off from her immediately.

sandelf Tue 09-Feb-21 11:34:30

Go with your gut feeling. If she'd like to visit the UK and meet up at some stage that is a different thing. But a stranger to stay under your own roof, that you have these doubts about...??

ElaineRI55 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:33:28

Don't be pressurised into anything you're not comfortable with. Why don't you tell her that you've decided not to make any plans to visit anywhere any distance from home or to have anyone from any distance away visit you throughout 2021 and you will see how you feel in 2022. It's not unreasonable to say you're not having visitors from abroad anyway in case they get stuck here for months if a new Covid variant necessitates further lockdown. That gives you a chance to see how she's coping, how things develop with her new boyfriend and what sort of person he is. I know the views I'm about to express will probably not be held by all but will be more common than folk might think . I do happen to believe that it is possible to receive predictions or guidance about the future, but that it is usually through either God's spirit or an unhealthy spirit. It does sound as though your relative's guilt/grief left her vulnerable either to someone who just makes things up for profit or to a real but unhealthy influence. Where God speaks into someone's life or circumstances it brings hope, peace and reassurance even if it relates to a difficult situation. When the influence is from an unhealthy source it may bring distress, obsession, a disconnect from real life, and so on. I hope that she finds happiness with her boyfriend and you have a nice visit from her once you're comfortable with that. You can ask her not to share her predictions when she visits if she still feels her ex boyfriend is speaking to her. Whatever he was like, I certainly don't think he is her guardian angel!

rowanflower0 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:29:48

Don't be shocked if the Donald Trump thing comes true - a lot of Americans have lost loved ones to covid, that should not have died, and they all carry guns! I am just surprised that no-one has assassinated him before!

Aggy21 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:25:19

Talking of mediums, I’m now obsessed by Long Island Medium on tv. The things she knows about the deceased and the relatives left behind are uncanny. Has anyone been told things by a medium that they couldn’t possibly have found out beforehand? I know a lot of you think it’s all rubbish!

Jillybird Tue 09-Feb-21 11:13:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmberSpyglass Tue 09-Feb-21 11:13:08

Did you ever see pictures of her with the first boyfriend? I’m wondering if he even existed - either she’s making things up or she’s being catfished repeatedly because she’s vulnerable. Are you sure she’s even related to you?!

DaisyL Tue 09-Feb-21 11:04:14

The poor woman sounds quite unwell - she could be having a psychotic breakdown. It happened to someone I knew and she was quite convincing about all these strange things that were happening. She saw angels and talked to them and had all this money and was about to move into an enormous house - she actually ended up in hospital. I would bide my time and Covid is the perfect excuse for putting everything on hold. Good luck. Just btw if you see big houses advertised nowadays they often have more bathrooms than bedrooms - apparently the young are happy to share a bed but not a bathroom!

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:57:25

I would ask her to ask dead boy what this weeks lottery numbers are.

Moggycuddler Tue 09-Feb-21 10:50:38

I don't believe in all that stuff. There's always an explanation, or sometimes things do really happen by coincidence. I would be wary. Some people do fantasise or simply make things up for a bit of drama. Of course it will be interesting to see about Trump. . . I had a friend who was told by a "medium" many years ago to be careful of fire because she had a strong feeling that she would die eventually by fire. (What an awful thing to say to someone!! I was appalled to hear that!) My friend actually worried about it for years and never forgot it. But she passed away a couple of years ago as a result of cancer. No fire involved.

justwokeup Tue 09-Feb-21 10:46:35

When you went there she 'gave us a lovely time, all seemed fine, and we continued to correspond'. Maybe you can put up with a bit of flakiness for a while and return the favour, current climate permitting? If they both come, book holiday accommodation somewhere near lots of places of interest for the duration, doesn't matter if that's small, so you won't have to worry about your home.

Granny1810 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:41:16

Last January I made my predictions. I do this every year for a laugh. It's surprising how many come true. I was doing so well until March ?

Molly10 Tue 09-Feb-21 10:40:38

I would probably be, as you say, not committal in my reply stating that we will hold back on any arrangements to visit at present due to the ever changing rules and law re Covid19.

Curious to know, has the new partner the same Christian name as the prediction indicated? There are lots of possibilities to explain what she has said, including grief, coincidence, fantasy. Not knowing an individual makes it difficult to make any realistic judgement on that.

I believe there is a good possibility that Trump will be "got at" in some way but I don't see in to the future. I like hearing these kind of stories and would certainly listen to what she says.

Dates for my Diary on gransnet so far include:
Feb : assassination
Mar: threat from outer space (another thread)

I await with interest but hopefully no one will get to me first before I know the outcome.

joysutty Tue 09-Feb-21 10:38:39

Say can't commit due to Covid19 plus Presume no flights from the U.S. Anyway.

joysutty Tue 09-Feb-21 10:37:44

Can you talk to her face to face on the video Skype thing then you will be able to see this wonderful house. Ha Ha !! As my brother in Austria frequently gives me the "tour" of his place + I see the children in their rooms, playing in the garden etc. Then you will know if true statement about the house or not.