Gransnet forums

Relationships

This is freaking me out - relative claiming she has second sight

(91 Posts)
B9exchange Mon 08-Feb-21 14:20:51

To try and explain, I found a distant relative in the USA and went over to visit her a few years ago. She gave us a lovely time, all seemed fine, and we continued to correspond.

She fell for a rather unsuitable truck driver who was on drugs, and eventually when she found out she had the sense to kick him out. He was found dead in his truck having a couple of days later, taken an overdose. This was about three years ago. Ever since that time she has been convinced that he is speaking to her, and has he has become an angel in her eyes. She was due to come and stay with us and we planned we would show her the sights last October, obviously cancelled.

In an email last Autumn, she wrote that this now deceased chap was telling her that in January 2021 she would meet a new lifetime partner and gave the same Christian name as himself. He also told her that Donald Trump would be assassinated in February at his Mar a Lago golf club.

This week I had another email telling me that her life partner had turned up in January as exactly as her late boyfriend had predicted, and that the new partner had an enormous house with 5 bathrooms and its own private cinema, which she would be moving into next month.

That has freaked me out, wondering if her prediction about Trump will also come true. I can't stand the man, but I wouldn't wish anyone dead, and if it happened as she said, I would feel very uncomfortable with her coming to see us later this year (also predicted, apparently!)

I don't know how to reply to her latest email, obviously I need to wish her new relationship well, but the thought of having a medium in my house later this year is making me very uncomfortable, I was always brought up to have nothing at all to do with the occult. It may be that CV-19 will delay things, but I can't put her off for ever! What would your reaction be?

B9exchange Fri 12-Feb-21 17:36:02

Thanks MMCake that's another way of looking at it. I think it is a major achievement to have found anyone in the middle of a major pandemic, let alone someone prepared to go with your odd theories and let you move in and change the furniture! I will heave a sigh of relief when March 1st comes, I hope!

Mistymoocake Fri 12-Feb-21 15:40:25

I think this poor lady is feeling a bit guilty, ( not that she has any need to be) and is trying to compensate by believing he still cares for her. When someone wishes something to happen they usually go out to get it hence the gentleman she is seeing. She went to places where these type of people are and had the confidence to act. Problem is she may be going into the relationship for all the wrong reasons. Hopefully all will be fine. regarding trump that is a wait and see. I hope she is wrong (I don't like him either) as I wish no one ill will. I would see how things go and make a decision when the time comes.

Lauren59 Thu 11-Feb-21 01:57:27

cornishpatsy

I am sure there are many who like me were a medium before lockdown.

Extra baking and less activity I am now a large.

Thank you for the laugh, Cornishpatsy!

Lauren59 Thu 11-Feb-21 01:55:01

EllanVannin

Just tell her not to " bring her work " with her.

My comment above was meant for EllanVannin.

Lauren59 Thu 11-Feb-21 01:50:50

This is a brilliant response!

Mollygo Wed 10-Feb-21 16:27:20

cornishpatsy

??? I feel you’re not taking this seriously cornishpatsy

Esspee Wed 10-Feb-21 14:22:27

polnan, NotTooOld and B9exchange sincere apologies. I have only just come back to this thread and see you asked me what I was referring to.
I did write a thread about the “weird thing that happened today” under the Bereavement topic. You can look it up if you are interested.
I don’t believe in the supernatural but the incident was comforting.

Esspee Wed 10-Feb-21 14:05:37

Greciangirl

Do you really want a double dose of her and the boyfriend spouting mumbo jumbo, Espee?

Sorry Greciangirl. The only thing I said on this subject on here is that the relative is crazy.......but perhaps I shouldn’t comment.
I don’t understand your response above?

vissos Wed 10-Feb-21 13:41:25

I would love a friend with second sight, or some kind of other worldliness. Love all that stuff but am an on-the-fence kind of person (+ very suspicious & cynical), tho had an interesting (& very scary) dabble with a Ouija board, which went much further, when (much) younger.
I don't understand all the people who are telling you to drop your friend/relative with very little evidence. I would look forward to her visit, but suggest they stay in a hotel - having even good friends stay for more than a couple of days can be very stressful. And a lot of work!

B9exchange Wed 10-Feb-21 10:23:33

She has given me the address of the house so I can look it up on Googlemaps, (and it is big and as she described it), but as yet no photos of the new man. She would not be coming over before October anyway, so I can usefully say we have no idea what will be happening by then. She talks about going out to buy furniture for the new house, I suppose so she can feel more at home when she moves in next month. I am awaiting developments!

DaisyL Wed 10-Feb-21 09:15:48

Have you actually see photos of her with the new man and the house in the same photo? Does he/it exist? I'm just an old sceptic but it all sounds unlikely to me.

songstress60 Tue 09-Feb-21 21:33:13

I love anything to do with the occult as I find it fascinating and I believe we have a foot in both worlds. I would want her to come and visit.

Sonatina7 Tue 09-Feb-21 16:44:39

As Shakespeare said, 'There are more things betwixt heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreamt in your philosophy'. One never knows!

FarNorth Tue 09-Feb-21 16:39:04

As they're both planning on visiting, I'd ask them to book somewhere else rather than stay in your home.
If the guy is so loaded, that won't be a problem to them.

cornishpatsy Tue 09-Feb-21 16:32:55

Greciangirl Tue 09-Feb-21 15:26:36

Do you really want a double dose of her and the boyfriend spouting mumbo jumbo, Espee?

Maddy68 Tue 09-Feb-21 15:24:42

I live in America. I am concerned by what you wrote in your post. There is an unbelievable amount of Christian cultism going on here around "Qanon" and Trump. These people are crazy! There conspiracy theories include believing alien lizard people appearing as human are walking among us doing terrible things. There are people who have killed their own family members claiming they were possessed by demons or really "lizard people." Do your research and beware. These conspiracy believers keep reconstructing their "theories" when things don't turn out the way they think they are going to because that is part of their delusional thinking. The reports here said that they thought Trump was going to take over the White House at the certification on Jan. 6. When that didn't happen, they pushed it back to March 4 (he is going to return to the White House in March). Now if it doesn't happen, maybe they are predicting he is going to get assassinated is my guess. You see what I am saying? They are going to roll reality into their delusions no matter what. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of otherwise seemingly average people who have gotten pulled into this nonsense. Unfortunately, as we saw on Jan. 6 at the Capital, they seem prone to violence in the name of their cause. Watch out!

BlueBelle Tue 09-Feb-21 15:11:02

We can all make things fit if we want to timetogo mediums are clever and place little clues that you have no ideas they are placing and read things you don’t realise you are giving away then the person who has greased their palm will start seeing little things that could fit in and it becomes a self fulling prophecy
I m glad it made you happy but it’s really is all made to fit

Tweedle24 Tue 09-Feb-21 15:06:54

Poor woman is obviously grieving for the one who died and is feeling guilty that she could not prevent his death or, maybe, even believes she drove him to it.

I can’t help wondering if the second one is a con artist. She is clearly vulnerable. Does he really own this great big house or is he leading her on? If he can afford that sort of house, he can afford an hotel, if and when they come to the U.K. All the OP needs to say is that she is uncomfortable having a strange man staying in her house and, while happy to meet up with them, would prefer that they stay in an hotel.

nannypiano Tue 09-Feb-21 14:57:25

I think I would take it with a pinch of salt and change the subject if she starts her predictions when she visits.
I have to say that some of the quick witted comments on here have me in stitches Please keep them coming.

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Feb-21 14:28:57

Yes Aggy21 .
Myself and dil went to see John Edward the American psychic medium a few years ago now,and what he told me and dil blew us away ie; i was going to move house as he sees boxes,a said iv`e just done that and he said ,well your doing it again in the next 12 months.
I met my oh a little while later and moved in with him 9 months later.
He tolm me i had my late fathers glasses and in the case you will find an American coin, i did.
Lots of other things too,that were accurate.
Also he told dil how her df commited suicide,her brother played a brass instrument,that she is due to get married and other things too,a couple of things we weren`t sure about but wrote them down.
The name begining with the letter M,we didn`t have a clue until 5 months later my dil gave birth to a boy and they called him Michael.
I wo`nt go on any longer but there were loads of info especially how my parents died and what illnesses they had.

We never felt so happy,

Mollygo Tue 09-Feb-21 14:04:16

Covid gives you a good excuse not to have her visit you, now or in the future. She might believe what she’s saying. You don’t have to give credit to it.
I wouldn’t respond to any of her news unless you want to send congratulations -just continue with normal chat, if you want to keep in touch.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 09-Feb-21 13:23:55

She may claim to have second sight but she seems to be lacking in common sense. I don't really know if I'd want to host her as I think it would make me feel uneasy.

buylocal Tue 09-Feb-21 13:18:45

Brilliant responses! grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:42:32

Write back and congratulate her on the new relationship.

If or when travel becomes possible again and you feel you are bound to have her to stay, make it clear in your invitation that she is welcome for x number of days, so she doesn't stay indefinitely.

Before she comes, you could say that you would prefer her not to tell you of any premonitions that she may have, as the occult makes you uncomfortable. If she does start talking about these things, change the subject, reminding her that you prefer not to discuss these matters.

Anyone, realising how unpopular Trump has made himself, could go around saying he will be assassinated without it necessarily following that he will die in that manner. Similar predictions have been made about other unpopular public figures who either like Hitler killed themselves, or died of natural causes like Stalin.