Gransnet forums

Relationships

Meeting other like minded people

(105 Posts)
MollyAA12 Tue 23-Mar-21 06:57:33

We are a retired couple with no children, grandchildren or indeed any family.

We find it difficult to meet other couples in the same boat. Does anyne know of any club or association that we could join. I would be happy to start a friendship with someone by phone/email initially. Like a sort of phone pal situation.

All the older couples we know are tied up with grandchildren (usually) and really are not interested in us. We are looked upon as a little strange because I could not have children! We live in Lincolnshire

joysutty Sun 04-Apr-21 13:01:39

I can look at this Meet-up that's been mentioned + have enquired about volunteering. Need something more in my life now children long gone.

Callistemon Sat 03-Apr-21 23:26:00

MollyAA12 - you absolutely must meet up with other people separately from each other
I would agree with that GoldenAge

Callistemon Sat 03-Apr-21 23:22:26

MollyAA12

No clubs are meeting at the moment, even walking groups. As soon as life gets back to normal I'm sure groups will welcome you; we have many couples in the U3A groups I go to.

Grandparents do have lives too, although some do childcare full-time, many do not and may not have any family living nearby.

No-one would think you are strange because you are childless.

What kind of activities are you interested in?

phoenix Sat 03-Apr-21 22:54:25

Has Molly been back to this thread?

deaneke Sat 03-Apr-21 22:46:26

Have you heard of Oddfellows?
Google them. I met them locally and if they were nearer I’d have joined. Good Luck

joysutty Sat 03-Apr-21 15:00:50

Desperately in need of some genuine friends. Since leaving my pres shred job many years ago only have a handful of female friends. My husband has his hobbies, own friends + female comoanion. Won't be unfaithful but need company for going places, coffee, and attending theatre events. A driver. Any Suggestions ?

Tabby555 Wed 31-Mar-21 13:58:13

Hi Jeanie,I know what you mean.Sometimes I wonder that myself if my messages go through.Maybe I'm doing something wrong I don't know.I hope this message gets to you okay.If it gets through to you okay it would be lovely to hear from you.I just joined a few days ago and I'm hoping to make a circle of friends on here.I have social anxiety and find it really hard to go out or talk to people.So I'm actually quite lonely.Its hard to build up a social circle when I always feel so uncomfortable with people.The people on here are all so kind and understanding.It would be good to hear from you.dee

JaneJudge Sun 28-Mar-21 18:22:49

I agree with whoever said do something you like. I go to an art group which I love and cant wait to get back to!

M0nica Sun 28-Mar-21 18:20:22

All my friends over my whole lifetime have been met through joining interest groups and the same applies to DH. I have also made one local friend through GN.

Occasionally one has been a bit cliquey, but when you join something because of a shared interest that is less likely to happen.

kircubbin2000 Sun 28-Mar-21 16:09:49

My Asian dil was asking me this today. She has found it hard to make friends as people here can be quite cliquey. She says the ladies in her group all meet for coffee so I said why not ask to join them . She says she is too shy.
I know it is hard because I belong to 2 clubs,golf and tennis and although I join the lunch group they rarely include me in chat. They have all known each other since school.

oodles Sun 28-Mar-21 15:38:07

I joined meetup when I lost friends when my now ex left me, we'd done lots together and I didn't want to go to things where I might meet him
I went to a few general get-togethers but didn't find them awfully helpful making friends, I went to something at a bar, a meal, for coffee, and with a big group and a noisy background really only 'met' the people next to me,so doing interest groups sounds much better. I don't know if you do facebook but I have joined some interest groups on there and met with some people who live locally. If you were to join a local history group or breed dog walking group, litter picking group or book group etc,or even just the local village group I think you stand more chance of finding someone to say hello to, and from there getting to know people locally

Joesoap Sat 27-Mar-21 13:08:42

I enjoy GN and have found a lovely friend through it, we chat every day we dont live in the same country and exchange news and views.

Elegran Thu 25-Mar-21 11:56:38

Perhaps. Molly, you need to widen your horizons to include people who are in different circumstances to you. There are friendly people to meet up with who do have children, and who don't care whether all their friends have families or not. You must have been unlucky in whoever thought you were somehow odd to be childless.

It works both ways, of course. Do you find it odd to be in the company of people who have children, grandchildren, and/or other family? If you welcome people of all kinds, will they be more welcoming to you?

NanaCB Thu 25-Mar-21 11:26:47

If you like singing but can’t sing, I would highly recommend Rock Choir which is a national organisation. There are no auditions and you don’t have to be able to read music, you just need to enjoy singing with others. Since I joined, I have sung at a rugby final at Wembley, the Edinburgh Fringe and at the Menin Gate in Ypres which was a very moving experience. Flash mobs are always fun and performing for charity rewarding. Choirs have been running throughout the pandemic on Zoom and YouTube but when restrictions are lifted, check out your nearest choir on www.rock choir.com.

Bbbface Thu 25-Mar-21 10:45:46

Op

You asked a question about how to make friends

Four pages later, multiple thoughtful and kind responses

And not even a thank you from you.

I would suggest that your approach may have something to do with your situation, and should be addressed before joining groups!

Okdokey08 Wed 24-Mar-21 20:57:25

Hi Jeannie, wouldn’t take it too seriously if you don’t get a reply, I’ve spoken a few joke truths on here and expected a response... but didn’t happen. It is as others have said, if the post connects with people they will read, and some might reply, some might just want to read others points if view abc maybe pick up a few tips... I wouldn’t say there’s any rules, or cliques... so keep posting if you have something to get off your chest, or share with others smile

Alexa Wed 24-Mar-21 20:57:25

A single person seeking a special interest group can find it difficult as level of expertise , ability,and experience varies between individuals .

This difficulty is compounded if you specify 'childless couples only'. You would be better joining a church or some other general social group where you would meet a lot of people in a variety of relationships or none. U3A might suit you well, especially if you can do Zoom.

Many people do not care to spend time talking about children and grandchildren.

Edith81 Wed 24-Mar-21 19:13:22

MollyAA12. So sorry to hear this. Maybe you both could try volunteering
For a charity or some local organisation where you would meet many people in a similar situation to yourselves. Good luck.

ecci53 Wed 24-Mar-21 14:01:47

We moved to Lincolnshire 2 years ago from Devon, no children/family in the area. I intended to join the local U3A, and a couple of other groups after 3 months to get the house sorted out. I was promptly invited to join the village WI as soon as we arrived, which I did. 2 months after our move I became very ill, and recovery took a long time, during which lockdown happened, so I never got to join the groups I wanted to. The WI have kept members in touch with each other by email and a monthly newsletter which has been great. We've also got to know several people in the village through dog walking and have formed a dogwalking group, which operates when the rules allow. I still intend to join groups when I can.

Peasblossom Wed 24-Mar-21 12:21:34

Bbbface I think you’ll see that she says “We are looked on as a little strange because I could not have children” in her original post.

I’m sure you didn’t intend to be hurtful by your question but for some people it’s a wound that never really heals and probing it is not kind.

Bbbface Wed 24-Mar-21 10:48:11

Peasblossom

Wow, Bbbface That sounded a bit like ‘serve you right”.

I hope you didn’t mean it like that.

Can I ask why you thought that was important?

You most definitely got wrong end of stick

I was honestly simply wondering whether the op never wanted children but now has regrets because lonely.

No barbed comment. A genuine question

Bbbface Wed 24-Mar-21 10:45:33

@poppyred

Where does she clearly state she couldn’t?

Nanette1955 Tue 23-Mar-21 20:42:25

Dirgni, snap, but I didn’t see your reply before I posted mine! Great minds x

Nanette1955 Tue 23-Mar-21 20:40:35

Do you have a U3A group in your area, they’re great places to meet all sorts of people, all with different backgrounds and interests. Each group has very many other groups within it, almost anything you can think of, food, languages, history wine, dining out, books etc etc, so I’m sure you could meet many new friends.google it and see if you like the concept. X

dirgni Tue 23-Mar-21 19:25:42

When we moved to a new area I joined U3A which has more than 30 different interest groups. I also volunteered at the local library and joined their book group where I met a different set of people.