Gransnet forums

Relationships

Long marriages

(81 Posts)
varian Sat 10-Apr-21 16:41:08

The Queen and Prince Philip were married for 73 years.

I wonder how many marriages last that long.

Have any of you had a long marriage?

M0nica Tue 13-Apr-21 08:35:26

The number of couples who survive into their late 90s, like the Queen and Prince Philip are very few indeed, and many of that small group are probably not computer users.

Even though longevity is rising. People are marrying much later, so the chances of being married for 73 years is diminishing fast. My DS and DDiL would have to both live until they were 104 and 106 respectively to reach their 73rd wedding anniversary

Kittye Tue 13-Apr-21 08:39:18

Together 52 years married for 50 of them

kathw12 Tue 13-Apr-21 17:06:06

Been together 48 yrs and married 46 I was a child bride ?
We’ve weathered many storms and if I’m honest I regret getting married so young although would still have wanted to marry the same man. He’s put up with a lot from me not least moving to a different country I’m very lucky he’s stuck with me.
Hoping for many more anniversaries.

Sandytoes Tue 13-Apr-21 21:52:35

Married 36 years and have had tough times and great times in equal measure . .Now both about to retire and hopefully looking forward to many happy and healthy years together .

Sara1954 Tue 13-Apr-21 22:09:17

Met when we were 16 and 17, but were both with other people. We stayed good friends, he was the best friend ever, and after both our relationships ended, we got together.
That was forty six years ago, we have been married for forty four.
We work together every day, and now also with our three children.
Certainly hasn’t been wall to wall romance, we’ve had our ups and downs, but I would do it all again, with a few adjustments maybe!