Gransnet forums

Relationships

Birthday gifts. When to stop?

(97 Posts)
Annlilyoliver Tue 20-Apr-21 06:47:18

I have always given fifty pounds to my adult son and same to his wife on their birthdays They are in their mid thirties now I feel it’s unnecessary but I don’t want to disappoint them when they open the birthday card ! Any suggestions for the way forward ?

GranJan60 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:21:42

On subject of gifts - we exchange with Sisters in law (twins). One just bought me a top which wasn’t me (recycled polyester) and wrong size so returned to M&S. Apparently it cost 75p over 6m ago so couldn’t be returned. This is not the first time something like this has happened and she’s not at all hard up. We always give both sisters nice presents and the other sis is fine. I tried suggesting no gifts last year but the other sis still wants to. What do people suggest?

IzzysGran Wed 21-Apr-21 12:23:15

If you can’t afford it then stop..or just give a token gift ?

If you can afford it then why not continue?
‘You can’t take it with you’

My default gift to my sons and daughter in laws, now (especially since lock down and shops were closed) is a bottle of wine, chocolate, a card..and cash..
Then I can get the joy of giving..while I’m still here ?

GoldenAge Wed 21-Apr-21 12:24:23

Annlilyoliver - I would always acknowledge an adult child's birthday and if being able to afford the £50 is not an issue I'm not sure why actually giving it is unnecessary. I'm sure your son and dil appreciate that gift and you never know what they do with it - it might take them out somewhere nice and help in the creation of a memory. I would carry on unless you're finding it difficult financially.

leeds22 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:25:31

Our AC all earn way more than we ever did. We used to spend a roughly reciprocal amount with one son/dil but (richest) son always asked for something more than that figure so the arrangement gradually withered. One son always sends a lovely gift with no expectation of anything. We still exchange gifts with 'poorest' AC. It's a shame really, as I like choosing and giving presents.

montymops Wed 21-Apr-21 12:33:48

I give my children, their partners and grandchildren, money. Like others have said, they may not actually need it as they are earning enough, but also, I never really know what they would want either! I remember my MIL used to send her family money and I was so pleased to have it - even though I had a good job.

maturefloosy Wed 21-Apr-21 12:35:10

I always ask my son and daughter what they and their partners would like for Birthdays as I feel it is a special day to have a spoil. They usually say vouchers or cash as they like to choose their own presents - something they need or a spoil. I shall always give them something as long as I can afford it -- and if things get tight they will have a token pressy like wine or chocolates - - but never nothing!

Destin Wed 21-Apr-21 12:35:31

Our grown up son and daughter are 53 and 49 respectively.....and only recently we’ve changed from putting cash in their birthday cards to putting in gift cards to one of their favourite stores.

Peff68 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:36:25

Do they buy you gifts?

I think gifts are better than money as at that age they buy what they want when they want it.

If you can order things through Amazon that you think they’d like, spend bit less too!

My mum all of a sudden stopped sending grandchildren money on their birthdays which was a little unfair on my children as my children are the youngest therefore their 40 year old cousin got 22 years more bd money than they did! But to be fair I think when you reach 11 grandchildren and now 12 great grandchildren, it does get bit expensive!

Nannashirlz Wed 21-Apr-21 12:39:17

I always give my adult sons and wife’s also grandkids. But the adults I tend to buy the wife’s some bath bombs. I bought a few years ago and afterwards I was told that they were really nice and could I buy every birthday. It’s a pack of 8 on amazon in a black box. Cost me about 12. Pound. Daughter inlaw said that they better than the big name brand. Also get them their favourite chocolates and they both really happy. I got something different last year thinking maybe that they would be happy. How wrong was I got asked why. So this year got two happy daughter inlaws lol. My sons both get lounge pants and favourite sweets so I’d say I spend about 20 on each of them. Obviously grandkids get about £50 ish lol depends how mad I go. This year I over spent on all of them. Due to not seeing them. I’ve 5 grandkids smile

Shelagh6 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:51:47

Never stop - ever!

Nanny27 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:56:31

We love exchanging gifts as a family for birthdays and never leave anyone out. They don’t need to be expensive just carefully chosen and nicely wrapped in my view.

moggie57 Wed 21-Apr-21 13:09:14

ask them what they prefer? voucher or money .and it all depends on how much they earning . i always think a nice bunch of flowers would be nice . for him .? book voucher ..gardening voucher. afternoon cream tea .

Sillyjilly2 Wed 21-Apr-21 13:14:13

I stopped giving birthday and Xmas presents to my nieces and nephews when they turned 21.
Now my extended family has grown ever more as we have many great nieces and nephews - we give each child £20 at Xmas and £15 for birthdays. At some time this will have to stop as they never see us and dont know who we are (distance is the cause). However, i find it more upsetting that from the majority we dont get a recognition from the parents that anything has arrived!

Thistlelass Wed 21-Apr-21 13:15:22

I understand that people would like to carry on giving gifts. I can also understand a situation where someone is not married and has only their own resources to draw upon. Many of us are divorced. Some of us are no longer working.and not yet old enough.for state pension. I so.understand the difficulties of saying to your children/partners you have to cut back. So far I have not yet been able to do that with my own family.

GreyKnitter Wed 21-Apr-21 13:22:36

We always give the children and their partners gifts for their birthdays and Christmas - sometimes money and sometimes others things - depending on what they want or need at the time. We also give to the grandchildren - 10 of them, plus a step grandson and his partner and their son. Sometimes it’s money if they’re saving for something and sometimes it’s an actual gift - decided in conjunction with their parents. I give because I love them. I also make a smallish contribution monthly into their savings accounts - I’d rather give it to them now than the tax man one day!

ooonana Wed 21-Apr-21 13:34:54

Always give family at birthdays and Christmas.....

chris8888 Wed 21-Apr-21 13:51:04

My adult sons just get £20 in their cards now. I would rather take them out for a meal but this has been difficult over the last year. I think that is more for me than them anyway, neither have a partner.

4allweknow Wed 21-Apr-21 13:56:24

I usually give money to AC and spouses for Birthdays and Christmas unless I know of or find something I think they would like. I have had a real think about birthday gifts from parents when I was young and cannot remember receiving anything once I had left home. Have we all gradually succumbed to the marketing of birthdays, like Mother's Day, Easter and Christmas in that a gift is required for everything and everyone now.

ReadyMeals Wed 21-Apr-21 14:14:22

Everyone I know including the young kids prefers Amazon vouches so they have the fun of choosing something. Suits me too! smile

Babs758 Wed 21-Apr-21 14:22:46

We used to give my lovely father in law Lindt Chocolate Reindeer for Christmas and eggs at Easter! For his birthday we usually took him out for dinner. He always used to buy me a book that he thought I may not have read before. Stephen King's "Needful Things" for example.. In latter years I used to make recordings of some of the Marlowe detective plays for him and we used to listen to them.. Great memories.

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 14:24:47

Our dds are 41 and 44 and we still give them cash in the card, plus something to open.

I will go on doing it unless/until I’m too demented to remember that there’s such a thing as birthdays, but ? that won’t happen.

TheMaggiejane1 Wed 21-Apr-21 14:36:10

I buy gifts for my 3 children and their partners unless they specifically ask for money towards something. I would not dream of stopping - why would you? I also buy for the 7 grandchildren. My 3 adult nieces I stopped buying for when they had their own children and gave to the children instead. This seemed a good idea at the time but ,of course, they’ve all gone on to have multiple children so I’m actually buying a lot more presents!

Polly4t42 Wed 21-Apr-21 15:00:56

Happy to give and receive gifts with my son and daughter in law and of course my little grandchildren aged 4 and 1 yrs old. I also exchange small gifts often handmade or related to their hobbies with my brothers and wives. Stopped with my nieces and nephews as they reached 21.

Leavesden Wed 21-Apr-21 15:03:16

I would never stop giving gifts to my children, grandchildren and husband because I love them if you cannot afford £50 give them less, but I think a gift that you have chosen for them and you know they would enjoy would be better. I think giving a family member something and seeing their pleasure is priceless.

crazyH Wed 21-Apr-21 15:09:02

Actually, the older I’ve become, the more I give....all 11 of them (children and GC)?......their needs are greater than mine.